Brave is brave

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by doubt, Jan 16, 2019.

1. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    https://www.cnet.com/news/brave-bro...ng-pays-you-to-view-ads-that-respect-privacy/

Brave browser can now show ads, and soon you'll get 70% of the money

The startup hopes its privacy-respecting system will clean up the toxic parts of today's ad tech so you can actually enjoy free websites again.

Brave began its existence three years ago by blocking all ads by default. On Tuesday, it'll start offering anyone using the developer version of Brave the option of seeing privacy-respecting ads. And, in a few weeks, when Brave 1.0 arrives on personal computers, Brave will give those users 70 percent of the ad revenue.

"We think we can make advertising great," Brave co-founder and Chief Executive Brendan Eich said in an exclusive interview with CNET about the new phase of the company's business.

Convincing people to sign up for the whole system is one of Brave's challenges. If nothing else, it's a lot to digest. Big publishers will have to learn to accept a very different ad system, and Brave will have to convince creators and publishers to sign on. Tens of thousands have joined up so far, though.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,189
    Users being incentivized to watch ads. Gee, what could go wrong? This is horribly ripe for abuse, much as pay to search was. Advertisers don't want people simply seeing their ads especially to earn from their spends... they want customers.

3. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    If they won't accept a new system then they won't have those with Brave.

4. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,189
    Brave requires publishers to sign up with a third party service to get paid. Millions of publishers, I just don't see widespread adoption by them or Brave users. Simpler to just block them, problem solved.

5. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+213
    Brave already has thousands of websites signed up, getting advertisers is just another step in the process...

good luck to them, they are trying something different, and anything to stop google and chrome dominance can only be a good thing.

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,189
    Thousands of websites? .com and .net along take up approximately 150 million domains. Even accounting for multiple domains pointing to one site and parked domains, there are still 10s of millions of active .com and .net sites. Throw in the millions of domains in the EU and the rest of the world, and Brave isn't even a statistical blip.

Brave has according to their claims a bit over 5 million active users. They come in under 0.01% of browsers being used. The vast majority of sites who sign up aren't going to see a penny, there simply isn't a statistically significant number of users visiting with Brave, much less Brave users who opt for this. You're talking about maybe one in every 100,000 visitors.

It won't put a dent in Chrome dominance. Add to that they are dependant on Chrome's source code. Microsoft has recently thrown in the towel and announced the next version of Edge will also be based on Chrome.

The only smaller browser company with any chance of making this work is Opera. They have 2.47% of desktop, 4% of mobile. UC has a chance on mobile, with almost 9%. But I doubt even they could. I've seen too many "pay the user to do x" ideas come and go, and don't see that this is really any different. Anyone remember back when iwon.com was giving away millions of dollars for people to use their search engine? It didn't last, even with a huge amount of exposure from the press.

Someone is going to have to come up with something fundamentally different to gain widespread adoption. I don't see this as it.

7. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,152
    Brutal but straight forward commentary from mysiteguymysiteguy, and I have to agree.

And to clarify, Chrome & future Edge are built on Chromium.

8. cornnfedd

+213
    And you missed the point of my whole post, but hey if you think that parked domains are part of what Brave is aiming to service its your call...

9. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,152
    I like the sentiment of your post.
    I hope brave succeeds, at least enough to elicit some change in the industry.

But.. Well...

To say it's an uphill battle is an understatement... Like making a molehill out of a mountain...

10. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,189
    I'm referring to the total number of live sites, not the parked domains. That's why I said there are still tens of millions of active sites.

11. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    Brave's privacy-focused ads to spread beyond startup's own browser
    Other app developers will be able to tap into the tech as soon as the second half of 2019.

Startup Brave has begun showing ads in its web browser with privacy-focused new technology. Later this year, other software makers could start doing the same.

The company plans to release a software developer kit as soon as the second half of 2019 that will let other programmers tap into its privacy-protecting ads, Chief Executive Brendan Eich told CNET in an exclusive interview.

"First we have to prove the model in Brave," Eich said. But after that, he said, "we do want better scale, for high-quality ads with a better audience." Many details aren't settled, but Brave will extract some of the resulting revenue, he said.

The spread of Brave ads could be important, both for Brave's financial success and also for online privacy more broadly. Ads appear all over the internet, but getting people to switch from Google's dominant Chrome to other browsers can be tough. Broader use of Brave ads could mean more of us benefit from ad-supported services without paying with our own loss of privacy.

12. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+23
    I like the feature of view ads and make money. Because this way both the advertisers and viewers benefit. I think even the publisher benefit when they get some amount for people checking out their site.

13. cornnfedd

+213
    me to.

and BAT is going "ok" as well which if you own some is a bonus..

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.