Bounce Rates

Discussion in 'Increasing Traffic' started by RedWingNut, Jul 5, 2014.

1. RedWingNut

RedWingNut Neophyte

+1
    Seems like a decent place to ask this....

Bounce Rate, according to Google Analytics, for my site is sitting at 55%, which seems high to me. Figuring the "bounce rate" reflects people coming to the site, and immediately leaving, that doesn't sound like a great graphical marketing experience is happening. BUT, I'm not sure you can grab people with a forum?

What are others bounce rate?

2. Will_Watts

Will_Watts Habitué

+449
    Whether a high bounce rate is acceptable or not varies on the niche. We run a Microsoft support forum, and many of our visitors are looking for a specific answer, so consequently don't move onto a different page, but they will engage and read with the threads.

Any statistic in Google Analytics can't be taken on its own - you need to consider how long each user is spending on your site, how many visitors the site is actually getting, and whether that's expected behaviour. In our case, we have a high bounce rate, but most of those aren't immediately leaving - they're reading the threads, and a decent number of them are clicking on our ads.

3. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+711
    55% is a decent rate. Mine is current <60%. I do have plans to try a few things out to see if we can reduce this even further. But as Will_WattsWill_Watts said, if people are coming to your site, reading, getting their answer and then leaving, that's not a bad thing. You are helping people.

What needs to be done is finding a way to grab that user and create a member out of them. How you do that is up to you. As I said, I have some ideas and if successful, I'll be letting the community know what I've done and what the statistics are.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  4. Will_Watts

Will_Watts Habitué

+449
    For info, our bounce rates frequently float about 70% for many pages. Nonetheless, our site is doing well, and monetization isn't affected. It's just the nature of our type of site.

Here's one thread that might help:
    https://theadminzone.com/threads/improving-registration-rates.108134/

vBulletin specific, but similar things can be added for other sites.

5. sb1962

sb1962 Adherent

+144
    36.67% but I don't know what that means!

6. meetdilip

meetdilip Tazmanian Master

+756
    That much users leave your site within in a very short period of time.

7. sb1962

sb1962 Adherent

+144
    They don't know what they are missing!

8. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,263
    Ours was at like 40% yesterday til we had a huge serge in visits due to an article of ours being added to a popular gaming news site, which then increased it to 60% which sucks as they all visited the article page then left :(

9. Will_Watts

Will_Watts Habitué

+449
    This isn't true.

Bounce rate is the percentage of visits that end a session having only visited a single page. A session is usually set to timeout after 30 minutes - if a user spends 31 minutes reading a page, and then clicks on a second page, that user counts as a bounce. Likewise, a user might spend two hours on a specific page before leaving, but unless they click on a second page within 30 minutes that user is a bounce.

10. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+711
    That will happen any time your article hits big on a news submission site. If you actually look at that article page, it's a winner if you have <80% bounce rate for it as most of the time they do only come to read and then leave. The other plus is the great backlink from those sites.

11. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,263
    yes that was the positive a nice backlink from a big site. We had around 2000 hits in 4 hours was nice

12. RedWingNut

RedWingNut Neophyte

+1
    Ahh, interesting info about the bounce rate. Kind of worried, but maybe it isn't that big of a deal, maybe. The avg time on the board is around 4 min 30 secs to 5 minutes. So not too bad, I guess.

13. Hentai

Hentai Enthusiast

+80
    My site averages a 40-50% bounce rate.

There is a lot of info in Google Analytics but a lot of it is pretty meaningless without some context. =/

14. Num7

Num7 Adherent

+46
  15. 12BETAly

12BETAly Aspirant

+7
    Bounce rate this is the percentage or number of people who visited your website. But I guess it will be way better if people won't just check on the the home page but so as click the other content.

16. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,863
    I may sound like a goon for this but oh well. I tend to try not to focus on the number side of these things but instead focus on the actions. You want people to visit your site, you want them to go to various pages on the site and you want them to stay on the site for more than just a little bit. That is what I focus on, forget the numbers, numbers will eventually drive you nuts... focus on what is keeping people at bay and focus on mastering that action. My few cents.

17. Dermot-BSB

Dermot-BSB Neophyte

+0
    I didn't know about the 30 min limit but that makes sense. But it's definitely the only thing that's timed.

I run a blog and had a post go viral for a few days. The extra traffic was from StumbleUpon which led to Bounce Rates of 85 - 97%. This one post was accounting for most of my traffic and StumbleUpon is literally designed to bounce from site to site.

So I did a bit of research. I have a Yoast Analytics plugin and there's an option there that turns on Adjusted Bounce Rate. Basically it doesn't count a bounce if the reader spends 15 seconds or more on your site. My Bounce Rate went from high 90's to less than 1%.

In a way search engines are a bit like StumbleUpon. Many people are searching for a specific answer or topic and will leave your site no matter what you do to entice them to stay. So adjusting for time spent on the page makes sense. However 15 seconds seems a little short to me...

18. kabbs

kabbs Aspirant

+0
    When it comes to bounce rates , the lower the better.
    Splitting 100%. 55% isn't that bad.
    reducing it depends much on specific niche and content.
    This will keep your visitors engaged and always coming back for more.

19. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+226
    Mine averages 2-4% each month, no idea why everyone else's is so high.

20. geeksonrepair

geeksonrepair Aspirant

+8
    Bounce rate is the percentage of the total visitors of your website. It should be low.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted