Bought my wife a new car

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by fixer, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Few cars will survive a long time in such extreme weather swings each year, let alone pot holes. Pot holes can destroy the suspensions, break axles, and bend wheels of large 2 ton Cummins diesels with massive rubber on their wheels. What would make anyone think a modern Lexus on low profile performance tires would survive such inclement roads? The majority of luxury cars these days are sold with low profile performance tires as suspensions have moved towards air or complex systems such as magnetic control, which GM developed and licenses out to manufactures such as Audi.

It's cool your wife's Tercel still works, but the Tercel is a very, very light car. Lighter than a Corolla. In fact, it's over 380 lb lighter than a similar year Corolla. Compare that to a 3,800-4,300 lb Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi, et al. Rough rodes or potholes won't hurt that Tercel. I'd be surprised if you could manage to blow the shocks and the struts on it. That Tercel weighs less than 2000 lb. Lighter than most cars that production year.

You could try airing your experiences with Lexus on ClubLexus. You'll be welcomed with open arms.

What would you have preferred? "Bought ourselves a new car which I won't be driving but my wife will"? In the same mind set, this past year, my wife bought me a new Omega watch to add to my collection. Sounds a bit matriarchal, right? The wife or woman of the house doing good deeds for the husband? Or should we both share the Omega watch?

I don't believe your were poking fun at Fixer's comment. It's more like you have a habit of stirring the pot. This isn't the first time nor will it be the last, I'm sure.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  2. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    Is it, though? As a woman, it just sounds like he went out and bought her a car. All this having to watch how you phrase something in case it causes offence when it's just a simple thing as this is exhausting. He went out and bought the car - whether it was his money, their money or her money - he was the one who went out and bought it. There's nothing wrong with the statement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    My idea of PC has always been don't offend, but this new generation of PC sub culture is annoying.

I've bought her cars, whether it was through my own account or our joint account. It's both our cars in the end. I drive her car maybe twice a month at most. Why do I buy the cars? Because I can convince the salesmen to knock $10-20K off the MSRP because I've referred people to them over the years. That's why. I've probably bought 7 cars from them in 20 years, and referred to purchase at least 30 people by now, including my own immediate family.

4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,512
    Out of all the things fixer says, that one caught your attention? :eek:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  5. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    He's about as mild as buttered sweet cornbread compared to some of the people I know on other boards. Not mild on TAZ, but that's life. People come in all different types of shapes, sizes and flavors. And I don't suggest eating people unless you're a zombie, then we'll keep it on the hush and you do your brain eating thing.

This post is sponsored by Scotland.

6. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    fixer is a marshmallow :ROFLMAO: all soft and gooey inside. He just doesn't like anyone to know.

It's a secret though, don't tell anyone. :whistle:

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  7. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    I'll get the sticks and the fire going!

8. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,162
    here are some sound bytes for ya...

It’s conventional, My wifes strengths compliment my weaknesses been married 21 years..almost like we fit “together” like it was someones plan to create a man and a women to take on the world together as one

I don't kiss booboos and she don’t change oil

we are a team, nothing beats a good woman they are harder and harder to come-by because the last great generation was our grandparents.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+250
    100% correct

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  10. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,077
    It's because of all the other things he's said that it stood out in a way that wouldn't have, coming from someone else. How could I not take a little shot?

I actually agree with a lot of what fixer says, if not always the way he says it. I appreciate that he is genuine, straight forward, and a decent human being. Clearly, I'm not alone, based on all the folks who've stepped up to defend his honour.

No, I was definitely poking at that statement, though I can't disagree with the rest. In my defence, though, I don't stir pots with hurtful intent. Usually, it's because I see something mixed in there that looks significant, so I try to bring it to the surface. And sometimes it's just (I hope) a good natured dig.

Don't get me started.... I'm no fan of SJWs or the current PC mania. My country's government is doing its best to PC us into pablum. I've spent most of my life dealing with language, communication, and miscommunication but where we are at now is beyond ridiculous.

11. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,434
    For the record if anyone here wants to buy me a new car I don't give a flying fig about any politically incorrect statement you want to make about it. And yes, I generally do all the washing up and cleaning around these parts :D

12. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    Speaking of Toyota I've been eying the 2019 camry hybrid, that thing is purty

13. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    We have one... and we love it. Regularly get 49mpg on the open road, and around 40 in town. The open road mileage has been higher a time or two - but that's when I drive like a old man that's puttering around.
    Ours is the brownstone color, and when in the sun it's really sharp looking.
    We got it to offset our "carbon footprint" of the 2019 Tundra 4x4 we purchased the week before.

14. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    Most of my driving is on the open road (bless you texas and having everything so far spread out.... im kidding kill me it takes 40 minutes to get to work).

By the time I can afford one though the newer models will probably be out. Im currently in a 2016 kia forte and it gets around 40 on the highway to work and back (depending on how much traffic there is) and I also still have my first car a 97 camry that's on it's way to 200k miles and still runs like a charm.

15. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    I just paid off my truck and its still under 100K miles :D But now I want a jeep! :eek:

16. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+633
    Don't do it. Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler some of the worst brands. Looks nice, always needs work.

17. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+1,162
    Fiat

18. Taylor J

Taylor J Fan

+73
    AKA "Fix it again Tony"

19. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,277
    Right there near the bottom along with Nissan.

20. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    I don't know about Jeep but my RAM has been awesome to me. I do take care of it though :D No roughing it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.