Books to learn CSS

Discussion in 'Graphics Discussion and Help' started by rusty105, Jun 1, 2012.

1. rusty105

rusty105 Habitué

+46
    Ok, going to dive into a new project a little more.

I am looking for book recommendations for learning CSS, or CSS ideas,

Say a beginner book, and something more advanced as well.

Thanks!

2. Hayek

Hayek Fan

+39
    CSS isn't too complicated. Once you learn the basic syntax, it is just a matter of memorizing (or looking up) specific element names (a, div, p, h1, li, etc.) and characteristics.

I am sure you can find some CSS tutorials online that should be enough to get you going.

3. LukeH

LukeH Enthusiast

+51
    I have to agree with Hayek. I learnt basic HTML from a "cheat sheet". It's a simple case of looking what's available and playing around with it.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

4. If you're looking for books specifically - look in the O'Reilly Library for CSS, the Definitive Guide. (Not cheap, but computer and design books rarely are and this one may actually be online somewhere.)
    Book 2: Bulletproof Web Design by Dan Cederholm.

Then it's a matter of looking around at webpages you like the design of and peering into the code using the various browser developer tools to see how they did it. Then start practicing on your own.

Just remember that CSS is only one part - good valid html of whichever flavor you choose is the other part. The best CSS won't work properly on broken html.

5. Nutt

Nutt Coder/Designer

+20
    O'Reilly has a pocket reference book on CSS that's pretty good as well. Probably not enough if you've never done any CSS, but a really handy reference once you've got the basics down.

6. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Old Guy

+175
  7. Justin

Justin *Insert witty title here*

+781
    W3SCHOOLS is a very poor site. I have never liked it. I do however like Judge's suggestion of HTMLDog

8. wizard1974uk

wizard1974uk Tazmanian Gremlin

+21
    There is nothing wrong with w3schools, its a reference tool plain and simple.

9. W3Schools has a bad reputation for having outdated and sometimes just plain incorrect information.

10. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Old Guy

+175

Go to w3fools.com.

You'll understand.

11. wizard1974uk

wizard1974uk Tazmanian Gremlin

+21
    The times I've used to for reference, I've found no problems with it.

12. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,196
    I have a few books for reference. The older I get, the more irritated I become when I have to search for something online, jump through several virtual hoops, and slam my mouse a few times just to find something.

Most code languages are easy to remember if you use a memory palace.

13. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Old Guy

+175
    Right, because you don't recognize the mistakes.

14. williamluke

williamluke Aspirant

+0
    W3school is the est platform for beginner,you can also review some on-line tutorials from you-tube.I personally like youtube as a learning source, I'm sure you can find almost everything..

15. DMVShore

DMVShore Aspirant

+1
    If you're willing to sink a little money out there...Dreamweaver is pretty awesome. It helps if you have a basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, but I think it's sufficiently basic that even someone with no programming knowledge could jump in and make a basic webpage in no time.

16. O'Reilly has an excellent selection of books on Programming. And Cederhome has two books on css that are excellent. Other than that, it's practice and looking online for novel solutions. But the key, as in everything, is to start simple and work towards complex. (And remember that MSIE always breaks things.)

17. DMVShore

DMVShore Aspirant

+1
    Umm gotta say, W3schoools is out of date, full of misinformation, and will cause you to spend extra time relearning all the wrong stuff that is in their site

18. JackieCalmes

JackieCalmes Neophyte

+0
    You need to download book from website and also use online using w3school site.

19. pinkbarbie

pinkbarbie Neophyte

+0
    CSS isn't too complicated. Once you learn the basic syntax, it is just a matter of memorizing (or looking up) specific element names (a, div, p, h1, li, etc.) and characteristics.

I am sure you can find some CSS tutorials online that should be enough to get you going.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.