Selling BMX-forum.com

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by forumhome, Apr 3, 2019.

1. forumhome

forumhome Aspirant

+2
    Selling bmx-forum.com with over 2.6 million posts. Traffic is very low after switching from huddler to xenforo.

2. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+33
    Hi, what is your asking price?

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  3. forumhome

forumhome Aspirant

+2
    You've got mail :)

4. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,237
    Before you leap into selling your BMX site, I know exactly why traffic is low - and it can be easily repaired.

I checked in archive.org for your site, and found the format of the old pages before Xenforo. Google dropped most of your pages from its search index because you are not properly redirecting old URLs to their corresponding URLs in Xenforo. And by dropping those pages you've lost all pagerank from any sites linking to them.

This can be repaired with a combination of .htaccess rules and redirection script. Google never forgets old URLs, I've seen them recrawl pages that were dropped 15+ years ago after proper redirection has been put in place. If you have a Google Search Console account (used to be called Google Webmaster Tools), after putting in place the redirects you can have Google recrawl the site and within a week or so you'll start seeing all those old links to the site come back, increase your page rank and traffic start recovering. If you don't have such an account, you can create one (it is free from Google), wait a couple of days and it starts filling it in with data so you can resubmit.

I tried to contact you via conversation, but it's not enabled for your account.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,107
  6. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+112
    The "Start a Conversation" doesn't appear on Forumhome's profile. It does for others though.

7. we_are_borg

+2,107
    It is for me, it could have been that the cron did not yet update his user group, but on his card i see conversations and on his profile.

8. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,323
    Just wanted to chime in with #WOW!!!
    I would love to own that forum. There is a myriad of possibility considering the amount of posts and registered members.
    Unfortunately - my funding situation is ... ((crickets...)) ... But I do wonder what the asking price is...
    Eh... Here's wishing you the absolute best of luck with the sale forumhome

Totally true what mysiteguy says. He worked a wee bit of a miracle on a project I was lead on - in which a very large board migrated from vBulletin to Xenforo. The rewrites he put in place absolutely saved the google ranking for the most part. But yeah... I imagine if you didn't have any redirects in place when you migrated from the Hudler platform - then Google treats the forum basically as if it's practically brandnew and takes a long time to re-index content. Thus (perhaps?) the drastic drop in traffic when you migrated to XF. With the .htaccess redirects that Tracy mentioned in place - the amount of visitors you get from search engines would not drop at all. Users will be redirected to the new XF install thread/post/ect urls which contain actual content. I imagine some "old" huddler links simply redirects to your homepage with the error message "Content not found..." or some such..

So you might want to consider that. Or the new owner definitely would want to consider it.
    That being said - I absolutely recommend the services of mysiteguy. Excellent excellent work. ((applause))

J.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  9. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,049
    Probably because of the settings:

10. we_are_borg

+2,107
    Well if i open my wallet it start laughing really loud. Funds are not what they used to be.

11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,679
    Yeah, I did the same yesterday and found that many content types they had in past years are now no longer available. Reviews, Articles, Classifieds system, etc.

12. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,237
    The nice thing about archive.org, as you know, is it can also be used to recover any important content that might have been deleted rather than simply moved.

I'm using an archive.org crawler now to recover about 20 pages of very old content for one of my own sites I purchased a few years ago. The previous owner deleted them because they were "stale" but didn't realize they were still a good source of traffic. Every few months I dig deep in my server logs to find 404s for old content on that site.

13. forumhome

forumhome Aspirant

+2
    Hi Guys
    Thank you for your advice, I’ll give it try. I still want to sell the forum though.
    My PN is working fine as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
    Carsten

14. DChapman

DChapman Devotee

+14
  15. TheNakedMan

TheNakedMan Enthusiast

+8
    Did you sell the forum?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.