Blocking Forum Posts from New Post List

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Pigoo, May 14, 2019.

1. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    Does anyone know if it's possible to setup a forum or sub-forum so that the threads & individual posts in that area do not show up in the "New Posts" list?

If so...please explain.:)

Thanks

2. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    What version? If it's VB3/VB4 you can edit the New Post's link to exclude specific forums by forumid. Just add &exclude=5,6,7 to the search.php URL where 5, 6, and 7 are the forumids you want to ignore in new posts.

3. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    Wow...thanks very much BirdOPrey5 for the creative solution.:)

Sounds like this is more of a "global" website solution to block certain website sub-forum posts from showing in the new threads list...which is what I was looking for. And at the same time if members want to see posts in these sub-forums...they can still go to those area's directly.

It's vB4...so I can definitely edit things. I did a search on my sites server...and I'm getting quite a few hits when I query for "search.php". Any suggestion which file is most likely the search.php file to edit? Would it be the one the highest one up in the file directory system?

I guess I could try some "trial & error" editing too (after doing backups of course)!;)

Thanks very much.

4. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    2nd & 3rd questions please. Is this the exact code I need to add to the search.php file?:

&exclude=5,6,7

...where 5,6,7 are the areas to exclude.

- Also...can this code be added anywhere in this file (just give it it's own line)...or does it need to be added somewhere specific?

Thanks

5. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

+1,720
    You don't edit the files. You use the Navigation Manager in this case.

Admin CP -> Settings -> Navigation Manager... expand What's New, go to edit the New Posts option.

The default URL is:

Code:
    search.php?{session.sessionurl}do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post
    Make it:

Code:
    search.php?{session.sessionurl}do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&exclude=5,6,7
    With of course your forumids.

The &exclude=5,6,7 (or &exclude=5,6,7 depending on where you use it) can be used in templates or search links in the navigation manager. You wouldn't have reason to add it to the search.php file.

That said if for some reason you were dead set on editing the file instead of the navigation manager- this old mod probably still works though the code around the line you add likely changed- https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=233594

Last edited: May 22, 2019 at 10:28 AM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  6. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    Cool...thanks for the clarification...use the Navigation Manager!

Thanks again for such an awesome solution...and detailed explanation that even a "simpleton" like me can understand!:)

Ok...maybe not a "simpleton"...maybe more like an "advanced-simpleton"!;)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.