Blocking access to those with AdBlockers

Discussion in 'Finance and Traffic' started by Mouth, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+53
    I see that some news publishing sites are now blocking access to any browsers using AdBlockers.
    What are other thoughts on this? Something you'd do on your community site? (obviously only pertinent to those using/relying on advertising to pay the bills).

2. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,097
    I think blocking them ultimately does more harm than good.

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,046
    Is it the larger, mainstream publishers doing it? I'd say it's preferable to installing a pay wall.

I think that's certainly a possibility but I would like to see some evidence to support it.

4. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,780
    Anyone who uses ad blockers, or faces issues browsing our sites from ads or scripts, help yourselves just as we do ourselves.

5. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+691
    I think it's hilarious.

Rather than adapting, let's force.

:rolleyes:

6. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Fan

+615
    Lots of sites do ask you to turn off the adblocker if you want to continue browsing, that's not new at all. I've never seen any major site outright block access to browsers yet, would love to see some examples of this.

Statcounter has a unique "screw you" to adblocker users, it's entire CSS is purposely done under the third party advert provider they use, so that people using adblock don't get any of the CSS loaded and the resulting rendered page is pretty much unusable unless you white list that provider, or turn your adblock off. They offer a paid subscription though, if you don't want the ads but do want the CSS. THAT's at least, something new.

7. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+864
    If I visit any site, and they have anything to say about my use of adblockers, I simply leave. :tup:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,661
    forbes.com

9. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,270
    Instead of looking why people block ads make people more pissed off by blocking users. Take a look at this site https://www.alternate.nl/html/index.html is a computer store on a monitor it looks good if its 1920x1080 but on iPad and i think on other tablets the space is scaled down to fit it all. By doing so you can read the product information as clearly as without. If i need something i go to another store where i can read everything in one go instead of zooming. So they just lost a sale only by showing an add that does not fit. Same with sites that use video commercials that start playing automaticly i block straight away, not only cist it more battery power but the hard sounds. So why not look for ads that play nice but instead sites kick you off.

10. Digital Phoenix

Digital Phoenix Coffee Ninja

+1,280
    Because people are greedy and go with crappy ads that offer more bang for the buck, these are the ads that tend to be the most annoying and obtrusive. Videos and flashy banners that tend to cause brain seizures.

11. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Fan

+615
    Ummm.... No. No blocking going on there, reading it just fine.

12. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Fan

+247
    upload_2017-11-11_1-31-59.png

13. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,909
  14. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Fan

+615
    My adblock filter blocked that, see? Because I keep it up to date and stuff.

ausmessageboards_com_myimagehost__e3ab1d76708566c92d36c355a7ce8f1f._.jpg

Cursor pointing to indicator of how many adverts/objects were blocked on load.

At any rate, forbes is an example is what I described, a offer to whitelist - NOT what the OP describes, a total block.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  15. Steve

Steve Administrator

+2,661
    What Adblock are you using?

16. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,909
    uBlock/Privacy Badger.

17. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+53
    In what way?

18. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+53
    Or ... rather than pay the bills, let's pay personally.

19. Mouth

Mouth Enthusiast

+53
    Is there a method to determine percentage of site visitors using AdBlock functionality?

20. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+691
    by forcing users into an experience they don't want...

We all know why it's done.

It's easy to plaster ads and try to force users to view them, so that's all many sites do rather than adapting/innovating new ways to monetize.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted