Biometric Authentication

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by zappaDPJ, Jul 26, 2017.

1. One year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Three years

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. More than five years

18 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+844
    You can use TouchID to authenticate apple pay purchases in a browser right now on a few apple sites, and any eccommerce sites that use stripe.

Makes sense to open it up to at least allow auto-population of a username and password based on the finger present through keychain to allow authentication on any web form, not just forums.

IMG_8358.PNG

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Adherent

+118
    If one looks at all the documentation Apple has, no where does Apple tout TouchID as means for security authentication.

3. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+844
    Yeah, seems like it's only available for payments through safari. But it can be used as login authentication from within an app I believe?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  4. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+109
    Now this is getting creepy.

5. emanuele

emanuele Bugs Developer

+203
    Because IMO, every level of security should be related to the criticality of the corresponding service.
    Yes, of course they store a token that has almost nothing to do with my fingerprints. Fine. So what if I'm away and the only thing I have handy is a public terminal in an airport? Should I trust that terminal to give it my fingerprints? From time to time I'm paranoid, yes.
    Or even better: what when someone will create a virus that intercept the fingerprints reading? You think it will be so unusual or impossible? I have seen so many things in IT that I don't feel like excluding this possibility a priori.
    Is it better if your average hacker has access to a password you can change or your fingerprints?

It's all about trust, and I don't trust the net and the computer enough to give away certain informations (and yes, I still live like in the '90s and my phone is connected only to a disposable email address created on purpose).

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/fingerprints-sensors-security/10951/
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/19/new...erabilities-and-sophisticated-ransomware.html

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,161
    You are talking to someone who used to run a checksum against system files to see if anything had changed and I still create a unique email addresses for every new login so I can certainly understand your point of view.

Obviously no system is foolproof but biometric security has proved to be pretty robust and it's being adopted almost everywhere as technology allows. It will evolve, it has to or it will die away like any other security method that has proved unreliable. The way I see it is you might as well make use of it until something better comes along... sub-dermal implants can't be too far away... :eek:

7. Elliot02

Elliot02 Aspirant

+11
    I like to think I would always vouch against biometrics but I currently use touchID like it's nothing.. and that essentially is biometrics.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.