BIG Problem: Photobucket Just Broke Billions of Photos Across the Web

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by Joeychgo, Jul 1, 2017.

1. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+2,279
    Backups shouldn't be a problem if you're doing incremental backups, only full backups will take substantially longer - but if it's too slow I'd consider a different solution than what you're doing now. I run backups in the background to hard drive array dedicated to backups, then it's synced to a remote backup in the background.

If your server is at the point where this will slow it down, then a CDN is a must in my opinion.

2. AOS

AOS Neophyte

+3
    Isn't tying ourselves to a CDN putting us in the same place we ended up with Photobucket? If they go down, all our links are broken... https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ud-service-goes-down-sites-scramble/98530914/

3. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,241
    Why would you see slower page loads from images stored locally ?

I would think they are more likely to speed up page loads. What virus issues are you likely to see ?

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  4. AOS

AOS Neophyte

+3
    We're a big board site, with tons of pictures. If we host those ourselves, we have to purchase additional server space or we risk slowing our site down. As to the virus question, there are any of several viruses, including malware, and other executable files that can be transmitted through JPG files.

5. Bikenut

Bikenut Enthusiast

+39
    Here is what I did last year when I heard that Photobucket was gonna start getting all Nazi.

I created a button on my forums. "add image to post". Then I used the forum app from https://imgbb.com/ so that when people click that button in the posting area, it uploads the pics to imgbb and then it dumps the pic code into the post.

Is it a temp solution? Yes. Im sure that someday IMGBB will say hey, all this fre pic hosting is costing them too much money. But then I will will just find another free pic solution. There are numerous to choose from.

But for now, the members of my forum have an easy peasy way to upload pics to their posts and I don't have to host them.

6. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,241
    Additional space will likely cost money, no argument there, however, HD space is pretty cheap.

I'm really curious about this part though.
    Why do you think a lack of server space for local images risks slowing a site down ?
    Is this something someone has told you, or you have read somewhere, or something else ?

In 25 years of running servers (of all types, size, OS etc) I have never seen a site or server slow down for that reason.

If you have enough storage space for them, there is no reason I know for them to slow the server down.
    If you dont have enough space, you just wont be able to upload them in the first place, so still no real effect on speed.

Its possible in theory, but they are quite rare, I havent heard of any for a long time.
    More importantly, they would be infected regardless of where actually stored, either remotely, or on your own server.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+250
    anyone know of any 3rd party software programs that can download my images? The site just doesn't work for me..

I have used one to pull a few gig of stuff from flickr quiet successfully before..

8. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,182
    Can you download albums at once in a zip file? Just do them sequentially until you're done, if queuing seems to be problematic for you it may be for 3rd-party scripts as well.

9. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    I have over 100 gb of images on my site... never had a problem.

HD space is pretty cheap.

Exactly.

10. cornnfedd

+250
    cant download by album. just spent the last few hours going through all 40+ pages of images... there were some interesting ones I had totally forgotten about...

popups seemed less today...

Attached Files:

11. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+172
    I asked them about this and got this:
    I was able to install the $2 Chrome extension and rip them all. You can also rip other people's albums. I recommend getting a $2.99/mo ad-free account before doing this.

I think Chevereto is working on doing this...I hope they do it soon, this would be great for that!

I know of one Big Board (3.7M posts) in my interest genre that has 250G of photos. That's relatively cheap for disk space if you have a good plan.

• List
  12. woody

woody eternal noobie

+73
    10 million posts, 1.1 million attachments, 116GB

13. cornnfedd

+250
    I have no idea why I had this screen shot in there... lol

Possibly asking about how to do the badges.. :)

Attached Files:

14. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+172
    I have discovered something...my PB pics are not hitting the paywall, and I'mnot paying $399/mo. This is in an old thread that I hadn't posted into in quite a while that I just came across. It's on our local club forum and in a section that's currently offline/not public and it definitely hadn't been visited since I extended the Image Cache so that it never expires, yet my pics are OK and someone else's PB pics in the same thread are the speedometer.

The only difference is that I pay the $30/year for the ad-free account.

I would like someone to try this - sign up for a $3/month ad-free account. Then see if your hotlinked pics suddenly start working again...

EDIT: not sure they offer this anymore...I think I'm grandfathered into the "Plus Ad-Free" account

15. Citizen K

Citizen K Aspirant

+31
    As far as I know those on the cheaper paid plans had their third party linking rights extended to the end of 2018. Not sure if this will apply to new, non premium signups too.

16. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+172
    Ah. My guess is that they will be discontinuing those plans pretty soon also. So I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess

17. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+189
    Bumpity bump.

Looks like the Chevereto folks have come through. Interesting solution. Beta version was released on Friday.

https://chevereto.com/community/threads/beta-testers-needed.9015/

18. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458
    anyone tried this yet?

19. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Adherent

+172
    I just bought my network license, I'm planning to use it for multiple sites (not all forum related)

20. Matthew S

Matthew S Adherent

+189
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.