Better SEO for XenForo

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Shawn Gossman, May 29, 2016.

1. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    Besides the things we all can do to any forum software like content, relevant backlinks and the works... often software specific activities can happen to increase SEO optimization. What sort of things are you doing on your XF installation in order to boost SEO?

2. smirkley

smirkley ID'mazing

+137
    Content. Content. Content.

SEO is a dying mechanism.

Best to just supply content to users, and the spiders will do what the spiders do.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,948
    So there is no technical tactics people are taking or special addons to install?

4. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+437
    I agree with content. With one of my site's software, there are a lot of people that use the same software and complain that their sites aren't ranking due to the lack of SEO features. And it's true, there are quite a few things wrong with the software's built-in SEO (or lack thereof). Yet, with good content, my site ranks at or near the top of most search engines for many keywords after only 5 months of being around. Can't imagine how many more keywords will hit the #1 position in five more months.

As for XenForo, it's great straight out of the box. But a lot of the time it's hard to rank with forums because the content is generally thin (not many words, usually just a sentence or two to start the topic off). I'd look at trying to make topics that are a bit heavier, but of course not padded just for that reason; they should be relevant to the niche. Google loves articles. They don't need to be lengthy, but even a couple of minutes worth of reading time is usually when they start becoming more relevant searches.

5. smirkley

smirkley ID'mazing

+137
    Thing is, google is getting really really good at ranking content and identifying/ignoring optimization efforts as not relevant for the purpose intended.

6. esquire

esquire Habitué

+629
    To an extent I agree but very much disagree that it's no longer important - it may be more important than ever given the myriad of different ways in which search engines are trying to improve display of results, e.g. rich snippets, carousels, etc. If you don't keep up, you may be a desert island of great content since being towards the top of a lower tier is still lower tier results. And here are a few off the top of my head - mobile-friendly requirements, where Google will certainly have a priority to form where there is substance of similarly valued content. And then there are also Panda issues that exist on forums which many don't manage. It's not just about having good content but knowing how to properly provide your data to the search engine so it knows how to understand your content and display it in an optimal format.

The part I do agree with you is that there is no substitute for a lack of quality content. That should never be a good answer to a user query because, by definition, it doesn't answer the question. It just provides an easier to view format for a mediocre answer.

For the most part, XF takes a good deal out of the SEO hacking that you had to do with software like vBulletin. But I have taken at least a dozen measures to optimize my own content with self-created addons / template modifications which XF does not provide. Some can apply generally but the needs are set by the type of niche you are in, the type of content you have, how it is presented and divided, etc. I am guessing that most probably won't see a significant benefit using any special SEO tricks and that content quality probably plays a larger role (in that I agree.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.