Best XF version to migrate to IPS

Discussion in 'IPS' started by ibaker, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,545
    From some reading I've done, FaceBook is suffering some of the same issues (fleeing users) in the younger population. They are all going to other platforms since FaceBook now has been taken over by their parents/grandparents and is the "old fogeys" place to hang out. It has always been such and will always be such.
    It's those same "younger" users that are your potential future users.

2. Panupat

Panupat Habitué

+93
    Where do the youngers hang out?

3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,545
    • Informative! Informative! x 3
    • List
  4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,767
    Whatsapp claims to be the most popular social app in the UK across all age groups. In fact it appears to be the most popular messaging app in most countries except for the USA where it's barely used at all.

5. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Adherent

+127
    Almost perfect on the day 2 months later the last HYS is released for XF.

What do you think ibakeribaker ? Was it worth it not to wait those 2 months as suggested? Or was it worth it to switch over to IPS in the mean time?

6. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+129
    Well all I have ever been doing with XF is wait and wait....and wait but still not there. If you look at a lot of the new v2.1 proposed changes you will find that IPS has already got them and in fact even things like the Reactions are a copy of IPS (even the name), the one click addons, the REST API etc etc etc are already included in IPS but the thing is IPS also has fully integrated Blogs, Clubs, Articles, Help Desk, Shop, multiple Events Calendar, a database tool to create any different type of section you want, Elasticsearch and lots more...as I said ALREADY BUILT IN and fully integrated so when you upgrade these are all upgraded as well. The addons IPS has like Classifieds, Tutorials, Suppliers etc are high quality if you need them and what's even more pleasing is the attitude of the developers you can get to do any custom work you need.

There is thousands of dollars more in IPS than XF HOWEVER, I will say that what things XF copies from IPS are in some cases done slightly better and I have always said that if you want just a plain and simple Forum site that competes against Facebook head to head than XF is the way to go BUT if you want a powerful Web Site than IPS is looking as the best solution overall. Maybe in 10 years XF will be able to compete but then what will IPS also look like in 10 years as well. I need something today that will entice users away from facebook by offering them a total solution and not just a forum.

I tell no lie but the other day I was listening to a couple of IT guys on the other side of my office where I work and I overheard them saying..."Forums are dead now, facebook has taken over that area and there isn't anything that can beat the ease of it, vBulletin is dead so you may as well use facebook, it's a lot cheaper to have a community". Now I believe that is correct so today you need to not just have a community but an entire resource on a specific topic to get users back and I believe XF does not and will not give you the edge but IPS will help you to succeed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  7. Russ

Russ Administrator

+1,666
    If you think IPS came up with "reactions", you're mistaken. I'm sure Facebook was used as a reference for XF just like IPS used it as well.

Forum communities still can thrive, heck a gaming forum ResetEra started about a year ago: https://www.resetera.com/ hit 14+ million posts on XF and it is about as bare-bones as it gets. I work on plenty of forums who are booming with a ton of active users and are growing at a fantastic rate.

8. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+129
    Well good for you...sorry I forgot why I don't post here much any more

9. Morrigan

Morrigan I put the Cute in Exe"cute".

+45
    ibakeribaker I'm glad you're starting to get the community/resource that you need and want! I look forward to your finished product.

10. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+129
    I have finally gone live with IPS and this time there is no turning back but also I have a developer ready to help out if there are any issues. So far there has been nothing but posts of Likes by users and they are really liking the look and feel of IPS. It is still very much bare bones at this point so that I don't overwhelm them with so much more that IPS offers...baby steps.

Here are some screen shots:
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+466
    Congrats, looks good.

First impressions - there's no what's new or new posts button, so I can't figure out how to get a list of the latest posts?

Also, all the media in the gallery seems permission protected. I can see the thumbnails, but not the full images, which is a bit annoying as a guest.

Keep us updated with how the migration goes.

12. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+129
    Thanks R0binHoodR0binHood
    Oops, thanks for letting me know about the What's New...forgot to allow Guests to view it...It seemed silly to have multiple ways of the Whats New so the What's New is in the Main Menu side column (now shows to Guests)...thanks again

The Media Gallery still needs some work which I will get the developer on this week however I have set the permissions that way to hopefully prompt Guests to register to view full size

Thanks for your comments

13. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+466
    Honestly, it just annoys me when it comes to a dedicated gallery.

I can understand perhaps when there's a thread and the attachments within a thread are permission protected as I can digest the rest of the content of the thread to get a taste for it. If someone then posts an image or attachment I'm particularly interested in, I might then register to view it so I can continue following the thread.

With a gallery though, if the entire thing is walled off then there needs to be a notice or some kind of communication. Otherwise the user is literally getting errors complete with error codes, which isn't very user friendly.

Personally I'd have the gallery public, so new users can browse and peruse. That gets them interested and able to read any comments or discussions on the various media, which may then encourage them to join in order to rate or join in with the discussion on that media.

14. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+129
    Thanks R0binHoodR0binHood I will give that some considerable thought when we are redoing the Gallery...thanks again

15. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+466
    Are you going to use clubs?

16. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+129
    Most certainly however that will require a bit of work and when I turn that on I want to embark on a promotional drive to get existing clubs in my area of interest to use them. One thing I would like to look at before I turn Clubs on is the possibility of a club being able to link to their Facebook Club page and interact with the posts in their Facebook Group but that is down the track. My first quest is to get my users comfortable with the site which is why I have started minimalistic with just what XF offered and what they were use to...can't flood them with so many extra features too quick

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  17. Ramses

Ramses Adherent

+102
    ibakeribaker well done, I had to look three times until I could see it's really IPS.
    One suggestion, I would create a conventional navbar instead of the menu on the left side. Only after I watched your screenshots I've seen the navigation.
    Here how it looks on my browser.
    634050e4-5bfe-40ba-9ca9-0be605e460e1.jpg

18. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+129
    Since going live this time the number of issues that users are experiencing are very minor compared to the last time and are simply operational issues like where is the ??? and How do I now do ??? and even some strange ones saying they have an issue that they are seeing a black vertical line on the left of the What's New page and has "Past Hour" and "Today" written on it and want it fixed...it is interesting seeing what the users say are bugs and issues...remember my user base average age is 60 year olds.

Anyway, I can say that I took the best step I could possible take and that was getting an IPS listed developer to go on the journey with me and I can not sing higher praise for Ahmed:
    https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/ahmed-zayed-r37/
    he is stepping in and helping the users in a way I could not and helping me not get frustrated...the guy is brilliant and has such a great helpful personality plus not to mention very cost effective...he also created the side column menu and many other development on my site. So if you need any IPS work done then he is the guy to get...mention that I recommended him.

In the coming days the site will have settled and I can start turning on all the many extra features and functionality that IPS offers over XF

19. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+129
    Thanks for the comments, I see your point about the side column menu in your browser but not sure how I can overcome all the different alternatives. The thing is I will have many more entries listed in the menu as I start turning things on and the side menu was created to provide a lot more real estate for menu items plus being available to a user wherever they are on a page. A recent survey on my site overwhelming voted for the side menu instead of the conventional top menu by the users.

Might look into having a different theme that doesn't have the side menu for users to select however I am guessing based on the previous poll I did that not many users would select that theme...thanks for the comment

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.