Featured Best XF version to migrate to IPS

Discussion in 'IPS' started by ibaker, Sep 3, 2018.

1. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+108
    As some may know I tried to migrate from XF to IPS a while ago however there was a huge backlash from my older generation users who found it hard to accept change so I went back to XF v1. Well I have been working to fix this and are getting ready to finally make the switch.

The question is, which version of XF is better used to migrate to IPS v4.3.5. My site is currently using XF v1.x so am I better to use that or am I better to upgrade my site to XF v2 and then do the migration?

I also have XF Media and XF Resources. The biggest issue I will have is last time I migrated there was an uproar from users on not having the XF Likes system migrated across. I currently use Luke's Likes System addon in XF v1 but also have the Xon's Like system in XF v2 that if XF v2 is the better source platform then I can upgrade from Luke's to Xon's ok. The bottom line is that this time I MUST somehow migrate the Likes across to the IPS Likes system and have no idea how to do that at this point in time.

So XF v1 or v2 with Media, Downloads and addon Likes System is the best way to go in migrating to IPS?

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,512
    Considering that XF 2 has not been out that long and the odds are that the IPS migration scripts are not fully working I'd suggest using the 1.x line.
    Why would you want to upgrade to XF 2 to simply migrate to another platform?

Either one is going to take bespoke development since they are add-ons and the IPS migration tool will not bring them forward if you are talking about anything other than native likes. Native likes will come across still, but the extended ones will not - at least last time I checked.
    Most scripts only will migrate what is native to the one being migrated from. Add-ons can be done, but usually at the cost of having the migration tool customized or a bespoke solution done.

3. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+108
    I remember there is a change or something to do with the db type coding or something, I can't remember but I knoe IPS uses the same as XF2

Goes without saying and I assume everyone here would know that

4. Tracy Perry

+3,512
    It's the encoding... and to use it you will have to run the utility on IPS anyway so that is a non-factor in the decision.

And you were told it's really going to take bespoke code to do it. I guess you were hoping to hear that there was a magic bullet out there to fix it. I know there were some discussions over on the IPS support site about having someone do an importer for Luke's add-on at one time, but there was no interest in it.

5. stoo2000

stoo2000 Aspirant

+18
    It doesn't really matter which version you use, they'll both work. You will need to find a developer to add support for either of those custom like systems though if you want to retain the data.

It has been supported since just after the release of XF2.

6. Tracy Perry

+3,512
    Yeah... and 1.x was supported when I migrated a site over to it.... and still had issues with the migration due to small changes in the structure that IPS expected.
    Better to use something that has been around longer and has the bugs pretty much squashed not to mention the fact of taking the time to do an upgrade to a newer version when you are immediately going to migrate is a waste of time.

7. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+494
    I agree with Tracy PerryTracy Perry , you're making your members go through a big change with one migration, let alone an upgrade and a migration.

Best wishes to you with the migration. If can be a huge adjustment in terms of functionality and style, but ultimately you need to decide (not your members, not your staff, but you) on the best long term plan for your vision.

Keep in mind that when you change, you'll get resistance from members. Some people are never going to like change, no matter what you do. Some people are not going to like it because they're uninformed. But the vast majority are going to go along with you, because they trust you and your vision no matter the software. If you have a highly vocal minority, there are some steps you can take to mitigate them by introducing them to a private early release, sharing information with them first, and getting them educated on how everything works.

Good luck and let us know on the IPS community how we can help!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+108
    Thanks but if XFv2 was going to be better I would have done it just prior to migration so no user impact

This time there will be no going back so I have been keeping the users very much in the loop including videos of how to's and functionality, kept them in the loop of screen shots during the development of plugins etc that will replicate what they have now and some improvements to them, targeted the vocal and conversed with them one on one on the migration and using them to promote the change, appointed a well known users as the support person. A couple of very vocal users will not budge from the belief that the site doesn't need to change as it suits them as it is and can't see that Facebook groups are causing the decline of my site, stats prove this, so I have to offer more than just a forum site. In fact I had my biggest growth when I went to vB and added so much more with vBDynamics and many other addons creating a single huge repository of information on my specific subject and I believe this is the only way to beat Facebook groups but that is a whole different discussion.

9. esquire

esquire Habitué

+623
    Have no idea what magic XF2 is going to provide. Users hate change and many will find something wrong. IPB can be easier to use but I'll leave that with a caveat. So.... What does "better" mean? vBulletin 4 is fine for most purposes. If you want to improve usability, get rid of features and keep everything simple. Facebook doesn't impact on a number of sites because people may not care to use their real names and also prefer separation.

10. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+108
    I know a lot of people only believe what they see themselves and ignore other opinions however my site stats show a decline commence when a Facebook group started and I now see many users that were once on my site now continually posting in that group which in a short terms has nearly half the membership number that I had:
    1.jpg

Shortly after the post count also began to drop:
    2.jpg

So no matter what anyone says that Facebook is useless, no good, doesn't effect forum sites and all that crap I can tell you IT DOES and why the internet is now littered with dead forum sites. Personally I blame the forum software industry and many of its users for causing this and it all began with vb v4 and more so with vb v5, all the in fighting that exists in forums, the alpha male keyboard courage individuals that drive forum users away...hey I don't like posting on XF any more and are nearly at my end here on TAZ as well, this is one of the main reasons users have told me why don't use forum sites any more and prefer facebook as most use their real name and behave themselves more. You can say all different reasons why this has happened but I have done my research and know for sure and I prefer not to close my eyes on the truth and live in a dream world.

The above is why I am going to IPS to be able to offer users far more choice of different forms of information than what facebook or XF can provide...and if that fails then I will simply close up shop and join the rest and move to Facebook and leave you guys to it

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  11. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,054
    To this day I will still stand behind saying that vBDynamics was one of the most powerful add-ons for vB. :2cents: It would've been pretty interesting to have seen Brian working with XF.

12. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+108
    I think if Brian had have taken up the porting of his addons to XF then things would be a lot different today

13. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Adherent

+111
    Do it how you like it but I think it is the wrong time to migrate over to IPS in my opinion.

XF is about to release the 2.1 version. We still don't know what it will offer, but it will be a huge change (I hope and assume).

So be patient for another month or 2 and see if the new version has things you might want to have. If not, you can still migrate over to IPS.
    We are talking about a short period of time and as you don't want to migrate back again, I would wait if I were you just to be sure.

14. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Moderator

+1,722
    I dont think many will wait for XF people see that IPS are working faster and faster on new releases that deliver more functions. You can say that IPS is bigger but their suite is larger then XF. So for many its time to switch.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  15. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Adherent

+111
    I understand and I agree that IPS is delivering more and more stuff faster recently. But the key point here is if you are already on a XF setup, it would be foolish to not wait the 1-2 months, there is nothing you can lose in this situation if you wait. However, if you wait and 2.1 blows our minds, you could be thankful for not switching the software.

So if you are already on XF, just wait it out a bit longer (say if it was 3 months or more, I wouldn't have said that).
    He is talking about a final migration without coming back, so the smart thing to do would be just to see what XF 2.1 offers before making a final decision. But that is just me, he can do whatever he wants to do.

16. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+881
    And therein lies the problem for many people who are in a state of mind where they are switching (or considering switching) to IPS. No one knows what 2.1 will deliver; it may be mind blowing, but then it may not. If it is, then the wait may be worth it. If it's not then that is time wasted.

I've often had this debate about forum software developers not informing people of what's to come until it's almost time for release; it gives no insight, offers no hope of desired features being brought to the table and it certainly doesn't inspire. Of course all of the developers are the same, keeping things close to their chests for fear of the competition beating them to the market; I say baloney to that stance. Forums are all but dead in the water thanks to SM so forum owners need to see what lies ahead in order to be inspired. Waiting until last minute launch day is a futile gesture when there is so much to rally against.

What makes it even worse, is those who are in waiting being disappointed by what is offered; that doesn't inspire people for what else is to come. There's really nothing that forums can do that hasn't already been done or thought of - best the developers can do is to enhance what's already out there. There is very little originality to be offered, so people will go where the grass is greenest and be inspired by more imaginative offerings.

Just my 2 cents worth and viewpoint - developers need to be less secretive and more transparent, at least if they don't want to lose clients to competitors.

;)

17. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Adherent

+111
    I agree with all of it just it is besides the point.

He wants to commit to a final decision. And he already is on a XF board and is already "wasting time". Just extend this period for 1-2 months longer to see if 2.1 "kills it" or not and then make the final move. But this is me.

About the rest I totally agree but in about 15 years it was always like this. And for 10 years we are behind a decade now, it is what it is, nothing we can do about it and the devs don't care enough.

18. Tracy Perry

+3,512
    And then when XF has the 3'ish years behind it's new version belt that IPS has with it's 4.x line it will be time to switch back.
    I'm here to tell you first hand that the original version of 4.0 (when they refactored it) was nothing to write home about. In fact, you LOST many features from the 3.x line - so feature parity wasn't even on the menu.

What slays me is people compare the current 4.3 line with the XF 2.0 line. If you want a fair comparison, compare 2.0 to 4.0. Both were/are newly refactored versions. At least with XF they kept feature parity and you didn't lose anything - in fact, you gained some items.
    One has to realize that when doing a major rewrite, the first thought is stability of the new code - not fancy whiz-bang new features. Or at least those that have been around good development practices long enough know that's the target. Those that aren't developers nor have been around developers have no idea apparently.

As for the OP's original question - it's a waste of time to upgrade to 2.x just to migrate to IPS. You do not gain anything by doing such - other than killing valuable time.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  19. ibaker

ibaker Participant

+108
    And it has gone backwards ever since...I am sick and tired of waiting for anything decent to happen with XF and it has been out for years now with nothing special to write home about. It has had every chance of becoming something great but the developers have not taken the route to support the majority of its user base and it has had many years of opportunity to take Facebook on and it also hasn't even done that...I am sick or waiting...I turn 60 years old next year and I feel most of my 50's has been spent waiting on XF to be what it was proposed to be from day 1...I have wasted both my years and those of my users from the disaster of vB 4, then 5 and then sitting around waiting on XF. The last time my site had great growth is when I provided the users with a vast amount of alternative information supply and I want to get back to being able to provide my users with something great and not be hounded by extremely biased one eyed people without any consideration for a world that has other people in it that may not think in the limited way that they do.............

rant over

20. Tracy Perry

+3,512
    Some of us - and yes, I have a feeling you targeted some of that towards me - have a basis as we CURRENTLY run multiple scripts. In fact, each one in my signature will take you to a different paid script from the major players (no, no vBulletin as I don't like it).

My point is, don't compare apples to oranges. The XenForo developers did themselves absolutely ZERO favors by announcing XF 2.0 as early as they did - even though they stated that it was targeted towards feature parity, unrealistic persons read more into that statement thinking it would come out with all kinds of new whiz-bang features. IPS tried the new whiz bang features, and the 4.0 version was literally a mess until they got near 4.1 version along with leaving out some important code from the 3.x line and even their 4.0 (Sphinx ring a bell - they stripped it out and it wasn't until very recently that you could use anything in the 4.x line other my MySQL search, no ES for you).

As a total suite, IPS is nice and has several neat features - but I've been running WBB, IPS and XF at the same time for a couple of years to be able to see the flow of it. Core forum, XF is faster and IPS 4.3 has a few extra features. If you compared XF 2.0 to IPS 4.0 then IPS had no more features than XF 2.0 does and it was STILL slower and more resource hungry.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.