Best Wiki for XenForo?

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Vilandra, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Vilandra

Vilandra Banshee

+439
    Is it VaultWiki? XenCarta? I don't need anything fancy - just need to potentially copy over the info from one done with vBulletin-Lexikon.

:)

2. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    Haven't used VaultWiki, but I wouldn't touch anything Jaxel (XenCarta) wrote if it was the last addon on earth.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Goodfella

Goodfella Adherent

+217
    Good question i will be looking for one in the near future =D

Would you be able to tell me why not? Is it something personal?

4. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,476
    Not at all. I know a few other developers, none of whom have anything good to say about Jaxel's coding abilities, and when so many developers (well respected developers) all say the same thing separately at different times, you start to listen.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. PaulKet

PaulKet Habitué

+939
    The last time Jaxel answered someone's question regarding the free version of XenCarta was June 16th 2014.

The last time Jaxel answered someone's question regarding the paid version of XenCarta was September 22nd 2014.

The last response regarding the free and paid versions of VaultWiki by its developer was yesterday.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  6. Phillip

Phillip The Priest

+1,496
    That says a lot right there. Maybe VaultWiki keeps working on the addon and updates for it. (I don't use XenForo anymore, so I have not looked into it)

7. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+414
    In regards to Jaxel, we use XenPorta and XenMedio, but that's all, really. We've got two admins that know their coding (I know CSS, but nothing advanced in terms of coding), so it's not really a problem that Jaxel provides next to no support.

8. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,800
    They aren't comparable.
    Vaultwiki is very analogous to Mediawiki. Very powerful.
    No forum has a more powerful wiki that vW + XF.

XenCarta is a very lite wiki.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. Vilandra

Vilandra Banshee

+439
    Thanks DD :)

I should just add that those were just the two I knew about - if there are others I am open to those as well :)

10. gogoblender

gogoblender shiny happy pantless

+510
    Hi
    Is there a good VaultWiki attached to a Xen forum u can suggest, would you be able to post a link?
    We're running a large gaming wiki on Mediawiki and have been very satisfied
    but we're always looking for other, competitive options

:)

gogo

11. Panupat

Panupat Habitué

+95
    Jaxel never really answer any question and tend to get bored and move on to other things leaving his stuff behind.

12. Jake

Jake Developer

+1,111
    I actually purchased VaultWiki for a project I've been working on, there are a few things that kinda bug me about it (such as acompletely separate Admin Panel for the wiki, and a few other small nit-picky things (completely separate permissions system, instead of using XenForo's). I've got to say though, the guy developing it though does seem awesome, he did explain why things are the way they are on it, but some things about it are just a turn off. I do not have it installed on a live board anywhere right now though.

13. Vilandra

Vilandra Banshee

+439
    Would it be just as good to use MediaWiki then?

14. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,709
    better than mediawiki. that's for sure.

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,709
    After your feedback vaultwiki integrated the admin panel into xenforo acp. I like this change.
    I agree with you about the VaultWiki permissions system. It would be nice to see that more integrated.

16. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,709
    vaultwiki posted a holiday offer on xenforo.com

This means that their annual subscription of $60 will cost $48 until this date. More information here: https://www.vaultwiki.org/products/

17. Chuck123

Chuck123 Neophyte

+1
    • List
  18. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,709
    The problem with mediawiki is that its not really integrated with xenforo. Users need to learn a new way of editing, mediawiki code, different editor, looks different, no new wiki in find-new, no wiki on profile, no wiki links in posts, etc, etc.

19. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,800
    And almost no user ever has enough stamina to properly learn Mediawiki editing.
    TIP: If a user ever learns Mediawiki and contributes to your site ... you probably should make them an admin, as they are a keeper.
    TIP2: it doesnt happen.

Vaultwiki is significantly better than Mediawiki.

20. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,709
    Full integration and ease of editing is certainly a benefit of vaultwiki. However, as vaultwiki is moving towards a multiplatform setup better integration in the UXD of xenforo is something that vaultwiki can improve upon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.