Best Forum Software in your opinion

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by meetdilip, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Burning Board

19 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. IPB

39 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. vBulletin

6 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. MyBB

16 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. phpBB

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. NodeBB

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. SMF

11 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. Others

13 vote(s)
    6.8%
  9. XenForo

74 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+44
    For me SMF and IPS are two good software. I recently checked out Flarum which is from the fluxbb developers. It's a good forum script too.

2. MagicalAzareal

MagicalAzareal Magical Developer

+146
    Flarum is a merger of two projects. EsoTalk by Toby and FluxBB which joined in way later.
    That said, I don't think EsoTalk was ever that high profile lol

3. ips_doug

ips_doug Aspirant

+11
    For me too. Smf and Ipb are the best forums out there till now imho.

4. overcast

overcast Enthusiast

+44
    What that has to do with end product?

5. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+968
    There's a big one missing off the list these days.

Not because it's the best, but because it's one of the most prevalent, and that's facebook groups.

Love it or hate it, it's the forum and community software of choice for a massive amount of people in 2019, 5 years after this thread started

6. MagicalAzareal

+146
    We'll see how long that lasts with the crazy AI and moderators who are constantly trying to commit suicide, let alone make reasonable decisions.

7. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+968
    I’ve been trying to use it more recently and it’s lack of organisation, insistence on sub threaded threads and reliance on AI to drive content to me other than purely chronologically and via categorisation is driving me nuts. They have the users and media contribution and consumption bandwidth and capability, but the usability game in terms of discoverability is leaving it all up for grabs at the moment. The question is whether classic forums will seize the opportunity to grab communities back or not given the global forum climate.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  8. MagicalAzareal

+146
    I'm not surprised, Silicon Valley is obsessed with AI right now, even when it would be better to use something far more normal.

9. Bluefish

Bluefish Aspirant

+13
    I've read these boards over the years and finally joined. In fact, this is my very first post... but I don't feel like I'm new here. I've been lurking around for a very long time. I suppose what pushed me to join was the fact that a forum I have had for about 20 years is pretty much dead. I can't bring myself to bury it for some reason. At its peak, I had over 600 active users and averaged about 150 posts a day. Now I'm down to a dozen active users and some days we get no posts at all. On average, probably about 4 a day. Most of my users gave my forum up for Facebook. I design and manage websites for clients, and Facebook has become part of my job description. More and more my clients want me to know how and be able to utilize Facebook for their benefit. For someone who despises what it is and what it has done (and is doing) I still find myself spending more and more time there. I hope there will be a turn of popularity back to this type of social interaction, but I'm not seeing it.

As to the OP's question -
    I've experimented with Burning Board, but never used a live version of it.
    I've used IPB and it's superb. Couldn't ask for a better forum.
    I've used vBulletin for a very long time. It's a very reliable forum.
    I used MyBB for a short period and found it to be quite acceptable.
    I've use SMF the longest and have extensive experience with it. Maybe it's because I'm more used to it than the others, but it always fit best for me.

10. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+968
    Welcome Bluefish :)

11. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,332
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.