Best CSS Framework?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by PeterH, Apr 13, 2017.

1. PeterH

PeterH Participant

+2
    I've used Foundation CSS framework before, and I've been looking for alternatives. But they all seem to be lacking in one way or another, either because they require a very specific setup or just seem like support online is kind of minimal.
    So what CSS frameworks would you recommend and why?

2. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook IPS Developer

+523
    On the rare chance I'm not working on something IPS4 related, I typically stick with Bootstrap.

3. joyadams741

joyadams741 Neophyte

+1
    Bootstrap is the best option for styling your site.

4. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+306
  5. Gosu

Gosu Neophyte

+15
    Bootstrap #1 because it has a lot of components suitable for most projects.

Foundation I've had some issues.

Materialize would be #1 for me but it lacks a number of components bootstrap has. I use it for small projects.

Take a look at Spectre: https://picturepan2.github.io/spectre/ if you like light weight frameworks with no js.

6. ColinD

ColinD Enthusiast

+51
    Bootstrap is a staple go to for quick styling where the budget or compliance needs to just work. Millions of examples, hard to go wrong. #shiptoday

Foundation is equally as compliant and I use the email tools from that project in my apps. although I still argue till I'm blue in the face for text only emails.

The material inspired ui's are lovely if you have agreement on lots of space and 'less is more' per page. Probably go for this if it was an 'application' for use on mobile more than desktop.

Something I stumbled upon last year was the concept of functional css. Coincided with shifting from ruby to elixiir and js to elm. So rather than define a whole button class .btnPrimary then apply that and then override it for one, two, three places... oh heck I've broken it everywhere now. You simply apply all the things you want to each instance. Mostly aimed at components, or progmatically generated interfaces. Takes a little bit of time, but I found myself; not a designer, & firmly in the straight lines and tones of grey box design camp, getting it after a few hours.

This might be worth a read, if only to kill an hour.
    https://hackernoon.com/full-re-writ...nctional-css-a-case-study-part-1-635ccb5fb00b

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted