Because vBulletin5 rules the world!

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
I saw this on vBorg, and just couldn't bring myself to reply there. However I really would like to read replies from folks here at TAZ. To me this is one of the silliest most ridiculous posts ever on the web, perhaps some of you won't think so. (It took me about 12 minutes to stop laughing long enough to decide to paste this here.)

In answer to Napy saying "I hope vbulletin is not dead.:
In Omnibus said:
It's not going anywhere despite the best efforts of some. vBulletin will continue to progress while the competition continues to utilize technology and design from twenty years ago. The initial release of vBulletin 5 was premature however the people speaking poorly of it are either basing in on the initial release or on third party information. The product as it is today is infinitely superior to the initial release and is improved every week. Living in the past will be a death knell to forums.

We will not be going backwards to a time when people care to spend and devote countless hours to being on a single forum discussing a single subject. Those people are becoming fewer and farther in-between every day. Social media has changed what people want and expect from their internet entertainment time. With so many more entertainment options on the web than there were ten years ago the competition for member time is real. That means giving members content they want to see, not trivial nonsense. YouTube continues to grow and thrive because people want to view its content. Google does because it offers valuable information. Instagram does because it's entertainment at a glance. These successful companies give us a roadmap of the future. That roadmap isn't jumping through hoops to discuss one specific topic. It's more like a big box store where you can grab one or two of everything and keep moving to the next aisle.

Forum technology that fails to recognize the shift in how people spend their time is doomed. vBulletin 5 is the only forum software that has made any effort to do that. The others have all copied vBulletin 4 ideas and run with them.

Later on, same guy said the developers who left vBulletin weren't coders, they were just hackers who couldn't handle the new API of vB. "Frightened and confused." :LOL:
In Omnibus said:
The problem is more that most of the third party developers here were hackers, not real coders. They were frightened and confused by the API and the lack of hooks.

You can go to another platform but you're going to pay every time they upgrade and you're going to pay for every mod or add-on individually. It gets expensive quickly.

Is this the last guy left, using a bucket to try to bail water out of the Titanic? If so is he just ignorant, or purposefully lying?

Discuss.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Just leave them to babble nonsense to themselves, there's no point in talking to delusional people.

I find it strange to see the word hacker used in such a context. It either means someone who is really competent or someone doing something illegal or something related to security.

zappaDPJ

Some while ago there was a member on vB.com called 'ProSportsForums'. He was so divisive, argumentative and irritating I had him on ignore, something I rarely do. More recently up popped another user, 'In Omnibus' who I found equally annoying in exactly the same way. To cut to the chase I found out they were one and the same.

If so is he just ignorant, or purposefully lying?

He claims to be both a lawyer and a developer but seems to lack the knowledge to be either so the answer is probably yes :)

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
Some while ago there was a member on vB.com called 'ProSportsForums'. He was so divisive, argumentative and irritating I had him on ignore, something I rarely do. More recently up popped another user, 'In Omnibus' who I found equally annoying in exactly the same way. To cut to the chase I found out they were one and the same.
Yeah i know him well, even did a custom style for him. Didn't find it worth mentioning.
He claims to be both a lawyer and a developer but seems to lack the knowledge to be either
But.... He's got the perfect venue now - a room where nobody answers!

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
"The initial release of vBulletin 5 was premature however the people speaking poorly of it are either basing in on the initial release or on third party information."

The third party being people that have used it and think it is terrible... lol what a joke.

At least they are providing a form of entertainment for the wider forum community.

Alpha1

Administrator
There's currently only 6 members online on vb.org. Some of those are probably TAZ members coming from this thread. Considering there are 500k+ accounts, that says all you need to know.

deadduck.jpg

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
It might not be going out of business soon, but without a viable product with a commercial monetization system that can sustain active development I fear it's not going to become viable enough to deter migrating away to more modern scripts.

One thing I can agree on is that vb5 needs to be reevaluated on technical basus (5.0 versus the latest 5.5.2). Does it run better, faster, take less queries for the same functions, work better within the same constraints like on shared hosting, etc ? I suspect a lot of opinions were formed earlh in vb5's cycle and vBS did not try to showcase their efforts' result anywhere as well as they should've.

zappaDPJ

One thing I can agree on is that vb5 needs to be reevaluated on technical basus (5.0 versus the latest 5.5.2). Does it run better, faster, take less queries for the same functions, work better within the same constraints like on shared hosting, etc ? I suspect a lot of opinions were formed earlh in vb5's cycle and vBS did not try to showcase their efforts' result anywhere as well as they should've.

I think a lot of opinions were formed long before vB5 was even heard of. vB4 was a total disaster at launch because it was launched years before it was ready. It did eventually become a fairly decent product but when the same thing happened with vB5 I think a lot of forum owners took the view, fool me once etc.

5.5.2 is a bit of a mixed bag. It's been vastly improved since the launch, a lot has been done to get it running faster and there's been a lot of added functionality. The main problem is that it's still got an incredibly high bug count and virtually no support in terms of themes and add-ons.

sbjsbj

Fan
Not everything what he says is wrong though.

Forum technology that fails to recognize the shift in how people spend their time is doomed. vBulletin 5 is the only forum software that has made any effort to do that. The others have all copied vBulletin 4 ideas and run with them.
I disagree with that vB5 is the only forum which has made any effort. None did! But I agree on the rest.

Paul M

Super Moderator
He has always been a bit delusional, so no change really.

This causght my eye ;
The problem is more that most of the third party developers here were hackers, not real coders. They were frightened and confused by the API and the lack of hooks.
They were not frightened by the API, but were likely confused - the API *was* very confusing, and had no documentation.

As to hooks, how can you be frightened and confused by a lack of them ?
It didnt even have a hook system for 4+ years - they were severely hampered by this, and gave up long before it got added back.

Joel R

Habitué
"Forum technology that fails to recognize the shift in how people spend their time is doomed. vBulletin 5 is the only forum software that has made any effort to do that. The others have all copied vBulletin 4 ideas and run with them."

Genuinely curious. How is vBulletin 5 doing something super impressively next-gen?

sbjsbj

Fan
Genuinely curious. How is vBulletin 5 doing something super impressively next-gen?
He doesn't say that vB5 does something super impressively next-gen. He says vB5 is the only one with any effort. So they are at least trying according to him. Which is of course funny.

overcast

Adherent
Just a random though. If they (VB) going down, is it possible that they may try business model like say Vanilla Forums and try to revive the company with cloud hosting model? or any variation of sort?

doubt

Tazmanian
...try to revive the company with cloud hosting model?...
They do that already:

Build your site on the world's leading community software
vBulletin 5 Connect™
and
vBulletin Cloud™

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Just a random though. If they (VB) going down, is it possible that they may try business model like say Vanilla Forums and try to revive the company with cloud hosting model? or any variation of sort?
It's free to try, but it has no sliver of a chance of succeeding.

That monetization model is too expensive for endusers and relies on big clients subsiding development. This audience is well capable of optimizing their site performance and operational cost beyond what current vBS would be capable of even uf it was willing to pass down savings.

There's conflict if interest as well. Even though vBS itself is not running for-profit forums, it could be argued that an IB subsidiary hosting forums for clients might not necessarily do so in the interest of those clients. Trust issues alone would deter folks who remember past issues or had irreconciliable concerns about post-jelsoft vBS/IB.

There's still a shortage of top tier workers, and an apparent unwillingness of incapability to replace them. The passive revenue of cloud-only hosting discourages a software outfit to do more than minimum housekeeping. IB could afford the very best talent in the PHP world and gamble millions sight unseen on project proposals, yet it's leaving the software company its entire forum network depends on and thrives thanks to wither.
Consider this: even IB's own sites likely do not pay the symbolic support of a self-imposed renewal/support fee of any amount. Why would outsiders whose sites are in direct competition against IB overpay when they could simply migrate to other SaaS solutions ?

IB's only chance at restoring vBS is restoring the vb3-era licensing system, keep vb4 supported for as long as its marketshare imposes, release a proper 'vb6' supported by a capable crew (acquire both, rebrand that ecosystem if necessary). Times have changed, a long development phase is no longer the most cost-effective way to release new commercial services.

craigForo

Enthusiast

He claims to be both a lawyer and a developer but seems to lack the knowledge to be either so the answer is probably yes :)

I'm thinking this may be the same guy, no?