Featured Awesome Xenforo Sites

Discussion in 'XenForo' started by Pigoo, May 5, 2019.

1. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    I'm seriously considering migrating my VBulletin 4.2.5 site to Xenforo 2...but would really like to see some cool/awesome Xenforo 2 sites that really showcase what can be done with Xenforo 2.

Straight-up/stock "out-of-the-box" awesome Xenforo sites would be great to see...but would also like to see what can be done using free or pay-for addons/plugins. This way I can also get an idea of how a Xenforo site can be kicked-up a couple notches from a stock Xenforo 2 install.

I know the Admin Zone website is a great example of what can be done with Xenforo...and I know there's the "Post Your XenForo Here" sub-forum here as well. Was really hoping to see 5 or more really great Xenforo 2 sites to help me decide if Xenforo 2 is right for me.

As far as my site...I definitely want the traditional forum abilities...but would also probably like to have the additional functionality of having an "Articles" area...and a "Blog" area.

Thanks very much.:)

p.s. Apologies if this has been asked before. I did some seaching around the Admin Zone...and wasn't quite finding what I was looking for.

2. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,003
    If so far you could not see what you would like to see, do not look any further.
    Stick to vB4.

3. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+943
    Take a good look at the xF forum, lots of people there post their sites, many of them heavily modded and skinned custom. Really, this ain't the place I would look. Personally.

4. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    I think my initial question may have been misunderstood. When I said "I did some seaching around the Admin Zone...and wasn't quite finding what I was looking for"...what was meant was...I couldn't find any awesome Xenforo 2 website links to check out.:)

5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,003
    You couldn't because those heavily modded sites with custom themes are still on XenForo 1.x
    It will take time to make the jump to XF2.

6. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+832
    I've noticed that some of the big tech communities have started using using XF2 with the same Theme House UIX theme.

https://forums.tomshardware.com
    https://forums.anandtech.com/

They have the same ask a community widget too, for quick thread creation. There should really be a stock widget or quick post feature built in for something like this.

upload_2019-5-6_13-38-14.png

7. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+1,113
  8. Bionic Rooster

Bionic Rooster Adherent

+199
    "Awesome" is subjective. What is awesome to those who posted links to their site will not necessarily be awesome to others. So you will never find what you are looking for in an awesome XF 2 site until you build it yourself.
    Most if not all the theme developers are running XF 2 so visiting their sites will give you an impression of what is available. Many will also custom build a theme more to your liking if you don't see an out of the box one for you.
    I think for you doubtdoubt gave you the best advice.

9. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    Thanks Robinhood & haqzore for the suggestions.:)

My request remains. If anyone knows of some good Xenforo 2 sites that really display what can be done with Xenforo 2 (with or with out extra plugins/addons)...that would be great in helping me decide.

Here's a Xenforo 2 site I've come across in my seaching...if anyone would care to comment on it...that would be great. Would be great to hear what folks think about the layout. And if you know...if this website is doing all this via a stock Xenforo 2 install...or using addon products.

https://forumweb.hosting

Thanks

10. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+832
    (Warning potentially NSFW content in below link depending on where you live)

https://www.thcfarmer.com has been well done

It's got a very nice custom theme and integrated shop

11. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    Wow...that is a pretty interesting site R0binHood! Looks like the home page is the store/shop. The "forum" area/layout of the site also looks completely different from what is usually seen on Xenforo 1 or 2 sites.

Any ideas/guesses if this site is totally running on Xenforo 2 + addons...or could parts/pages of the site also be running on other products (Wordpress/etc.)?

Thanks very much for the link.:)

12. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+30
    https://nbalivecommunity.com/ -- Stock 2.1.2 Xenforo 2 with maybe a handful of limited add-ons, style by PixelExit.com with full optimization on mobile with dark and light theme options.

13. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    Nice...thanks very much hellasteph for the link.:)

- Would you happen to know/guess what addon's are being used?
    - Are the styles usually something that can be found easily for free...or are they usually something that must be purchased?
    - The large black footer area of the "nbalivecommunity" website...is this area something that can be done with the stock Xenforo install?...is it a addon?...or is it part of the PixelEdit.com style?

Apologies for all the questions...I'm really a "newbie" when it comes to understanding all things Xenforo.;)

Thanks

14. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+30
    Don't ever apologize for being curious! I'm more than happy to help.

1. Here's the full list of add-ons:

[8WR] XenPorta 2 (Portal) PRO
    XenForo Media Gallery 2.1.2
    [SC] Twitter Widget
    Alert Improvements 2.5.0
    Persistent Alerts 2.0.2
    s9e/MediaSites 2.3.8
    User Activity 2.4.3
    VigLink 1.1.3

2. PixelExit.com styles are only $25-35 USD each. It's a really small investment for the amazing work that Russ and his team do. The style is called "Nova" if you're interested in checking it out on their website. You certainly can make your own, but save yourself the headache and buy a quality theme from PixelExit and receive the support for it.

3. That is a part of the Nova style - It's default so we haven't adjusted it at all.

15. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    Super super cool hellasteph!:)

Thanks VERY much for the list of add-ons. And I totally agree...$25-$35 per style is really worth it. Gonna head over there now & check them out!

Thanks very very much again.:)

16. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+30
    My pleasure! Just remember me when you decide you need professional help. (See my signature!)

17. Pigoo

Pigoo Participant

+15
    Separate question for anyone What are the top sites to visit for finding Xenforo 2 add-on's (free and pay-for add-on's)?

Thanks

18. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+30
  19. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer

+1,691
    Ridiculous and unfounded comment. Most customers have now moved to XF 2.x, most of those are already running XF 2.1.

20. hellasteph

hellasteph Tech Scum

+30
    I can back this up. One of the sites we are upgrading from 1.5 to XF 2.1 has over 25 million posts. We've been working on it and waiting until we got our style designed/ready + our add-ons are to our expectations. Most everyone else we know has been on XF 2.x for a while now.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.