Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by JohnFound, Mar 20, 2017.
The asmbb.tar.gz file has 0 byte .tpl files...?
(Tried with WinRAR.)
Most of the .tpl files in the different skins are simply a symlinks to the respective files in the "Wasp" skin. Only the files that differs are copied. The same applies for the image directories.
I am not sure how Windows (particularly winrar) will handle these symlinks.
Wrong, it seems.
Try to unpack the file with 7zip - AFAIK, it handles symlinks somehow. Also Windows/NTFS supports some kind of symlinks, so theoretically it should be possible to unpack the file properly...
7-zip seems to do the right thing.
Yesterday, I decided to implement (at the end) Atom syndication feeds. The first, experimental implementation is already deployed on the server.
There are 3 types of feeds. All are organized by adding "!feed" to the respective URL:
1. For all threads of the forum: https://board.asm32.info/!feed
2. For specific tag: https://board.asm32.info/asmbb/!feed
3. For specific thread: https://board.asm32.info/asmbb-v2-5-has-been-officially-released.267/!feed
The URLs are formed by simple adding "!feed" to the respective URL.
I am not using any feed reader, so I am totally ignorant about what should be "acceptable end result". All the code is created by reading the wikipedia article about Atom feed.
So, if some of you are active users of RSS/Atom readers and are wiling to help in the testing, post here what have to be fixed. Thanks.
You should add feed contents. I can only see the titles.
The content is included in the feeds for specific thread (case 3 from above). But what content to include for the thread list feeds... The thread itself has only its caption, not a content as such...
It has a first posting, maybe that one?
Well, I can imagine several variants:
1. The first post in the thread:
+ It better illustrates the subject of the thread
- The thread is marked as changed, but the content is the same as before. So, what is changed then?
2. The last post in the thread - the post that caused the thread to be marked as new/unread in the feed reader.
+ The change is demonstrated directly
- The last post is less informative.
3. No postings text at all, but some thread statistics: Post counts, read counts, the nicknames of the posters (almost the same that is displayed on the forum thread list)
Maybe (3)+(2) or (3)+(1) will be the best variant. What you think?
In this case, (3)+(1). Being informative is the most important feature of an RSS feed.
Well, OK then. Tomorrow will make it this way.
At the end, I have implemented the variant (3)+(2). Now the thread list feed contains:
1. The caption of the thread and the total count of the posts in the thread.
2. All users that posted in this thread in the item <author>
3. Some thread statistics
4. The author and the text of the last post in the thread (this is actually the post that caused the thread to be updated in the feed).
Also, I have added some explicit links to the feeds in order to make it clear for what feed you will subscribe. Unfortunately, I was able to make these links to work only in the PaleMoon browser. All other browsers I check, simply show the XML file. Obviously this is a result of RSS/Atom feed not supported anymore in all major browsers. Maybe some plugin can fix the problem, but I don't know about such.
I tested it in Newsblur which happens to be my feed reader. If you want to test it in a real feed reader, try this one:
I have installed Liferea as a stand alone reader and Feedbro as a Firefox plugin. Using online service as a feed reader is not a good idea IMHO.
How to install AsmBB with RWASA and post a message for less than 2 minutes...
The video is longer than 2 minutes though.
But thank you - I should really try RWASA once.
Is it asynchronous? 90% of Nginx's performance is due to it's asynchronous architecture rather than the language.
I am not very sure what "asynchronous" means related to AsmBB. It works according to FastCGI specification. It can handle multiple requests simultaneously (through multi-threading) and also several independent FastCGI servers can run simultaneously on the same database.
As a rule, the different web servers use only one of these methods. For example Apache runs multiple instances of the engine, while Nginx or RWASA are sending multiple requests to the same instance.
Sorry, if I don't make too much sense here, I'm not too good at explaining these things, but let me see if I can put it into words:
Think of every request as a task. And these tasks get evenly distributed across CPUs. And every time you hit some sort of I/O (e.g. waiting on the network or the database), then you switch in another task to work on while waiting for the database to get back to you.
You can also switch between tasks a lot more efficiently than you might, if the OS is forced to do a context switch between threads, as one task will willingly cede execution to another.
I love ITHare's Art, it's so cute. Anyway, this illustrates it a bit.