Ask me anything! :)

Discussion in 'Ask Me Anything' started by Ashley S, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+125
    Feel free to ask me anything :D.

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,167
    Do you think forums in general will flourish or gradually fade away due to the increasing popularity of other forms of social media?

3. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+125
    Forums will always exist. Well I hope so.. :D
    So yeah personally think they will keep growing.

4. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    What do you do when you have a forum where the search engine refuses to search?

After Tapatalk took over my site on Zetaboards after Brandon sold us out, I got a phpBB board started on another server.

The problem is with the search engine built minto the site which generally refuses to do any searching as can be seen in the following:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: mueller report. You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

end quotes

Now, that is just STUPID!

So how do I find the way to make the search engine actually do what one would think a search engine existed for, which is to search for what I want.

5. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    Worth a try:
    In the ACP delete the search index.
    Create the search index.

6. Livyjr

Livyjr Enthusiast

+24
    Good to see you, doubt, and thanks for responding.

If I knew how to create a search engine, that would be a solution.

The problem is that I don't have a clue, and obviously, from that STUPID message, whoever created the search engine that came with the phpBB package didn't know anything about them, either.

And how stupid that message is can be seen from the following part of it:

You must specify at least one word to search for.

Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

end quotes

Which word is it, however?

I asked it for two words - Mueller and Report, but according to the search engine, they are too common.

So what isn't too common?

7. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,014
    In your forum's ACP (Admin Control Panel) you should be able to find it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.