Ask Elliot Anything

Discussion in 'Ask Me Anything' started by Elliot02, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Elliot02

Elliot02 Participant

+15
    I've been a major lurker, but I have a rather colored past.

I worked in Pest Control for many years, and I've most recently worked in business development/sales for the last 5-6 years.

I sold a forum/social network awhile ago and I've never had a successful project sense.

Ask me anything about business, bugs, or my thoughts on mental health.

2. \o/

\o/ an oddity

+52
    How much is different now? :LOL:

3. Karll

Karll Adherent

+173
    With a free-roaming cat, what is the best way to prevent them from facilitating a flea infestation in your house?

4. Elliot02

Elliot02 Participant

+15

Honestly? You can't.

Flea collars work for the most part but if it gets near their tail or legs there is basically nothing you can do. I'd recommend though, if you od have a flea infestation, to purchase some over-the-counter stuff to spray.

I shouldn't have to say this, but I will because I've seen it. Do not spray it directly onto your cat.

Well, over the last 6-7 months I've been divorced and remarried and now.. I essentially do not have work. I'm moving to Chicago in the summer of next year and hoping to further my business management skillset in a defined role.

5. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,181
    How close have you gotten to run a really successful community ?
    And in hindsight, what would you have done differently to make sure things worked ?

6. Elliot02

Elliot02 Participant

+15
    I guess what you'd define as successful and further what really successful mean.

I'd say my social networking website that allowed users to challenge each other to certain achievements in a video game, and if successfully uploaded proof you'd get points.. In turn, you can redeem those points for various gifts. I'd have a couple hundred online at once which I definitely consider successful. But also, the monetization technique I was using attempted to make each individual user profitable rather than waiting for a certain amount of users to perform certain actions. This led to an extremely profitable website, and I was super happy with it.

Above everything though, I had some fan-art and that made me extremely happy.

In hindsight, I'd rather have a more sustainable and narrow monetization strategy. I'd want things to more automated. I was in a bit over my head. I also sold it to someone who said they'd take care of the project but almost immediately shut it down.. that hurt.

I also wish I focused more on personal projects instead of working. I'm pretty miserable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.