Suggestion As if TAZ needs additional post ratings...

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by PoetJC, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    We get enough verbal diarrhea these days.

2. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    So now all the negative reactions have been removed, so we can no longer express displeasure or skepticism at the posts of others. I guess we don't want to hurt people's feelings? Are TAZ members really that soft that they cannot accept criticism or being called out for straight up BS?

3. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,843
    We can still do so, we just have to do it the old-fashioned way, by posting to state why we disagree, or find a post objectionable. :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,510
    If you read the description of Post Ratings that Luke posted on XF.com you'll see that it was originally conceived as an "extension of the Like system". And that's how it works best - when a variety of positive ratings can be given for a post. Unfortunately, on TAZ at least the system doesn't work as well for disliking posts, mainly because negative comments are uncontrolled/unmoderated and therefore can be used in a manner not intended i.e. abused.

That said, we are considering adding a "reputation system" to TAZ which will allow for rating posts in a controlled and moderated fashion.

5. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    That sounds like a lot of work, and can get lost in a long thread. It will encourage threads full of ad hominems when a simple thumbs down would have sufficed.

6. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    Was he making a classification of the code or a philosophical commentary?
    I would be curious to see a case where downvotes were completely out-of-place, part of a vendetta, or led to a truly constructive member leaving the forums. I'm sure there have been people who got upset for being called out for stating mistruths or opinions which aren't backed up by logic. I find they either learn the lesson and become a constructive member or move on and visit their ignorance upon another forum.
    I have a suspicion that the sharp edges will be rounded off and the loopholes closed so that only the positive can be accentuated. But I could be wrong. Thanks for your reply.

7. The Sandman

+5,510
    I can only tell you that our experience with this on TAZ has been such that I've felt the need to eliminate the negative ratings. Your experience on other sites may be quite different.
    You haven't seen the system - it's a complex post comment / reputation system, fully moderated. It's not at all like Post Ratings. It's not intended to encourage post quantity - it's intended to significantly improve post quality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    Looking forward to giving it a test drive!

9. The Sandman

+5,510
    It's under consideration, but certainly not a definite. We'll see....

10. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+614
    facepalm.png

I like this one....I don't know how many facepalms I've inflicted on myself.

11. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,591
    Look Ma! It's snowing... look at all the pretty little snowflakes. :rolleyes:

12. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    "... Yeah.. And the yellow ones -- the yellow snowflakes -- don't pay them no nevermind son.." :censored:
    "YIKES!!!"

13. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    It's a year later. No sign of the reputation system, and it is still impossible to Thumbs Down or otherwise mark posts which are negative, unhelpful, antagonistic or complete bull****. Reactions are democratising. Removing negative reactions is rounding off the corners because a few people (including staff?) get their feelings hurt.

By the way "just reply to their comment" is insufficient. What if there are 10 pages of replies past their comment? It will just get drowned out. There is no more succinct way to indicate that a post either does not contribute to the conversation than to mark it such.

14. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,013
    *Looks for Drama Queen reaction*

:p

On a site like this one I can definitely see a use for a more diverse range of post reactions that include neutral and negative ones.

On the other hand I probably wouldn't like it for fear of being downvoted to oblivion.

Perhaps that's why I'm mainly a lurker on reddit.

I do like only being able to get low effort positive feedback to my posts ;)

I think what I like about the current system is that I can reply and retort to the negative feedback if it's written, as opposed to a simple negative post rating.

I'm still on the fence with this, leaning towards positive only for most sites, but maybe not this one due to the nature of the types of discussion here.

I think I'm one of the people that wouldn't do well on sites with lots of negative feedback as I'm too sensitive and I don't like the idea of logging in to find out I've received 50 negative ratings, and perhaps I wouldn't be as forthcoming or speak my mind as much if there was a chance of getting shame reacted to the depths of forum hell.

But on a site like this were a lot of topics that get discussed in detail with a large scope of view open to interpretation it may make sense. I don't know.

Who cares what I think anyway, none of you can downvote this post, so it's all good :D

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

15. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,013
    Oh yeah baby, keep those positive ratings for the same post coming in!

Not a single negative rating in sight :D

D4633292-AC10-4390-B18A-E6D73AE7D09B.jpeg

16. Maddox

Maddox Habitué

+971
    I would be against adding negative reactions for two reasons:

1. There are a lot of people on here who don't get on well with others. Perhaps because someone said something totally stupid and another took them to task on it. Instant dislike for the person - it could be that no matter what they post, the other person is going to use the negative reactions as a revenge method.

2. If you disagree with a post then you need to say why. Degrading a disagreement to a reaction is meaningless - if you can't say why you are giving a post a negative then nothing constructive will emerge, for either side. By degrading discussions to reactions you degrade the means to good discussion.

Sometimes positive ratings are enough, if you agree with something there's not always the need to say why, the original post may say it all. It's better than have a whole bunch of posts saying 'I agree'. If you don't agree with what is being said then state your case - by doing this either the person who originally posted may learn something, or the person disagreeing may learn something on the rebound. That's what forums are about - well structured discussions; which are often formed by others disagreeing. Having negative reactions could result in people asking 'why did you rate my post in a negative way'?

Something to think about.

;)

17. Paul M

Paul M Limeade Addict

+2,230
    A lot of this applies to positive ratings as well, if you agree with a post you should say way.

Ratings go both ways, if you can like a post, you should also be able to dislike a post, one without the other is meaningless.

18. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+463
    A simple "Disagree" button would satisfy most of the people posting ion this thread. I'd like to see that.

I'd also like to see a "Dislike" button on Facebook, while you're at it.

I would not tie either of these to thread ratings. That makes it a quick way to express agreement or disagreement with a post without useless verbiage. There's enough of that here already (and on most forums) - posts that just say "I agree" or restate a previous post, adding nothing to the thread.

I don't know if the positive ones are tied to thread ratings or not - they shouldn't be.

19. feldon30

feldon30 Adherent

+433
    For 10 years people have been asking for a Dislike button on Facebook. Instead they added a bunch of nonsense.

When 20 people downvote your post, maybe it's time to investigate your life choices, instead of asking the site owner to rescue you or remove the feature. I don't understand people's need to insulate themselves from even the most constructive criticism.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,693
    There is a sizeable part of the society that is completely unable to cope with criticism.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.