Are you going to convert to XenForo or start a new forum with it?

What are you likely to do with XenForo?

• Convert my exsisting forum.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Start a new forum.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Both.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters

Lycaon

Devotee
I know it's very early on but based on how it looks now, will you be converting an exsisting forum to XenForo or start a new forum using it?

I'll most likely start a new forum with it, I won't be converting my exisitng one as I like vBulletin too much.

adbrad

Habitué
i'll not be converting for 2 reasons

1. i'm quite happy with mybb.
2. i'm not in a position to purchase the software.

also won't start a new forum.
1. see no 2 above
2. i don't have the time with my current forum,and forums i'm a member off.

Joshuad

Developer
Depending on the price I will probably start a new forum with it, and later convert my other forums if I like it well enough.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Considering what I've been going through the past 48 hours - it would be quite interesting if XF was put on the market tomorrow - I'd likely purchase 2 licenses... As it is now - I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do if HostV is not able to restore our data.

Jethro

Enthusiast
Am converting one site to Xen and helping start another two with the software, about time forums got a boost and Xen is going to do that.

karrott

Developer
For beta software, xenForo seems quite stable. I may even try to start a new forum with it. After all, the only way to truly test a forum software is to run it live. If it crashes in beta, I'll just swap it for a stable platform and wait for the Gold release.

I'm really liking xenForo so far, so I can't wait to get my hands on it later this week.

Jethro

Enthusiast
For beta software, xenForo seems quite stable. I may even try to start a new forum with it. After all, the only way to truly test a forum software is to run it live. If it crashes in beta, I'll just swap it for a stable platform and wait for the Gold release.

I'm really liking xenForo so far, so I can't wait to get my hands on it later this week.

Remember on Oct 5th they are having a sale for early adopters. The release will be Beta 1 but the actual licence period will start from version 1.0, so that's a bonus for anyone wanting to get their feet wet with Xen :)

smirkley

ID'mazing
Same pricing concept as vB without all the vB features and functionality and support.

In a nutshell, No.

Jethro

Enthusiast
Same pricing concept as vB without all the vB features and functionality and support.

In a nutshell, No.

You may need to check that pricing there Xenforo is a lot less than vB with one of the advantages being not all the bloat that vB carries.

Can guarantee anyone who switches to Xen from vB will get a surge in posting and members. Have been using forum software for over a decade and Xen is the most addictive product yet.

But feel free to keep on keeping on dude.

wanksta

Internet Sweatshop
You may need to check that pricing there Xenforo is a lot less than vB with one of the advantages being not all the bloat that vB carries.

Can guarantee anyone who switches to Xen from vB will get a surge in posting and members. Have been using forum software for over a decade and Xen is the most addictive product yet.

But feel free to keep on keeping on dude.

Bloat?

Some of the internet's largest and most busy forums run vBulletin straight out of the box.

Jethro

Enthusiast
Bloat?

Some of the internet's largest and most busy forums run vBulletin straight out of the box.

So? Please note I also consider IPS bloated. You might be surprised at which forums are moving to Xen, including some very well known resource sites.

Are you telling me you really really think vBulletin needs all the bells and whistles and your members constantly use every single option available?

Good luck with vB4 by the way, fell sorry for you guys, that can't have been a nice turn up.

There's a whole bunch of people liking Xen because of the lack of largely unused features in their current products (vB, IPS, phpBB).

southernlady

Devotee

In a nutshell, No.

I thought the reason people came to a forum was to read and post? Not use "all the features".

As for support...they will have support...peer to peer of all of us who have been using the forum there day to day and of the alpha testers (and yes, there have been some, we just don't know who).

But for a software that is in beta, it's far more GOLD than VB4 is even now.

Liz

smirkley

ID'mazing
I was mearly giving my opinion to the op, not looking for the so typical as-of-late battle between the zen and vB folks.

Regardless, yes, I like features, and the pricing structure (not the actual values), are very similar between vB and zen.

But the pre-sale hype is the loudest I have ever seen of any on the net for ANY forum software, in my decade of forum experience.

Jethro

Enthusiast
I was mearly giving my opinion to the op, not looking for the so typical as-of-late battle between the zen and vB folks.

Regardless, yes, I like features, and the pricing structure (not the actual values), are very similar between vB and zen.

But the pre-sale hype is the loudest I have ever seen of any on the net for ANY forum software, in my decade of forum experience.

Dude I don't even use vBulletin and have no issues with anyone who does, you choose the software the suites you. My opinion is both the leading commercial php forum products are bloated and confusing to new members.

The Xen pre-sale hype is huge because it's a completely new approach to forums and how they should operate. I'm so very very excited by it, and will be dialing in from day one writing an add on component for it, free to the Xen community :)

JayCeeS

The Alpacas Are After Me
I might give it try on something new, but I will wait till gold, I don't feel like experimenting.

Wolfy175

Participant
I might consider starting a new site with it if it was free, but as it's not and I am broke, I won't

Gaara08

Participant
But what's new in this software ? is there anything new ?

well not now, I'll wait untill it has more mods and styles.

It ain't broken don't fix it.

Shelley

Tazmanian
The reason vb4 as so many features (stated this already) is because they are building their "new" flagship product from existing code. Had they built the 4.0 line product from scratch (as xenforo) is doing it have very few features and no modifications.

Incremental updating on old code to me is bad (look at the past at vb4.0 QA) with major security wholes being created. I prefer a from the ground up product that is moulded by the community and implemented by the devs in a very stable format which it is.

Anyway. I'll be starting afresh, no existing database importing converting. Already have the domain ready.

southernlady

Devotee
But what's new in this software ? is there anything new ?

well not now, I'll wait untill it has more mods and styles.

It ain't broken don't fix it.

Well, for one, unlike every other forum out there, this one is written for html5 and css3.
And there are a host of exciting things that they wrote in "from the ground up" to quote Shelly. Since there was no previous legacy code holding them back, they were free to use today's modern solutions not a decade old software.

For more information check these:
http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/
http://xenforo.com/community/link-forums/random-questions-answered.19/

Shelly, where's the LIKE button??? I need to give you one.

Last edited: