Are MyBB serious with the 1.8 theme?

Discussion in 'MyBB' started by HellRaiseR, Sep 29, 2014.

1. HellRaiseR

HellRaiseR Adherent

+19
    I've been out of the loop of MyBB for years and just logged into the forum. Are they serious? I don't think it looks professional at all. In fact for a new theme it already looks oudated. Very 2007-ish. I seriously have no idea why Justin S is their lead designer. All his themes look exactly the same.

2. R44

R44 Asperger's Network? Absolutely.

+415
    They chose it as the "Apart" 1.6 series themes are the most widely used.

3. HellRaiseR

HellRaiseR Adherent

+19
    I know, but I don't think that's a direction they should have gone in.

4. R44

+415
    Me either, but I'm not Chris and Tim. So it's not my decision.

5. euantor

euantor MyBB Lead Developer

+407
    The idea was to make the theme slightly more modern without changing a bunch of templates and making life difficult for other theme designers. 1.8 was only meant to be a minor upgrade, 2.0 will be a full redesign (and the mockups look amazing). IMO the new theme is nice anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. borbole

borbole Coder/Designer

+149
    Why do you think it does not look professional and outdated if I may ask?

Personally I find it clean cut, modern and pleasing to the eye.

7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,400
    I think the theme is OK but there are some areas that don't work very well for me. For example there's no real separation or contrast between posted content and everything else including action buttons, the user postbit etc.

MyBB.jpg

8. tannguyen135

tannguyen135 Aspirant

+10
    Hey euantor do you know where to find the mockup? I want to check it out. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  9. R44

+415
    Staff lounge, not public.

10. euantor

+407
    As R44 said, they're currently private. Hopefully that will be changing soon as we're going to be starting 2.0 development properly soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  11. HellRaiseR

HellRaiseR Adherent

+19
    It just looks something an amateur did, a good amateur, but an amateur nonetheless, and also IMO it looks quite dated but MyBB has always looked like that regardless of who's designing the default theme.

12. Adam

Adam Habitué

+603
    You know what the beautify about themes / styles / skins are?
    If you're not happy, you can change them.

Personally, I have no problem with 1.8

13. HellRaiseR

HellRaiseR Adherent

+19
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just don't think this theme does them any favors.

14. euantor

+407
    The idea is to provide a basic base theme to build off of. I think the 1.8 theme does that pretty well personally.

15. borbole

borbole Coder/Designer

+149
    Indeed. Styling for MyBB is pretty easy.

16. AllanD

AllanD Habitué

+164
    I didn't mind the theme that much, it was a step up from the default 1.6.

17. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Fan

+133
    The point of a nice default theme is that it makes the forum more instantly attractive, which helps a community thrive. The new theme actually does look a little dated. But I think the point is that MyBB development and community vitality was in trouble and something had to be done quickly. So an updated Apart theme (which was extremely popular) is being used.

18. Dannymh

Dannymh Aspirant

+0
    I have to agree with the sentiments above regarding this theme. I mentioned it in the Big board owners forum when it was in beta, it stood out as just looking awful and going backwards in design to the other software that is out there.

The thing is, is that the community forums are the first place that people get a feel for the software and whether it is any good is in the community. I have offered some of the key members of my forum a chance to have a look at various options for my down season upgrade, whtehr that be a move to new software or another, although my users were massively happy with mybb over the past 3 or so years, they just hated the new one, they thought it looked old and the lack of responsive design killed them (Yes I know I can do my own, and that its just a style but I need to sell it to my users.)

Dan

19. StaticAge

StaticAge Enthusiast

+27
    I don't really like it either. Well, it's not that I don't like it, more than I'm not a fan of it being used as the default MyBB theme. Maybe it's because I've see so many forums over the years using the Apart theme, it's seems weird to me that they're using it, rather than a completely new custom one., especailly as it's rather old now.

I'm probably alone with this, but I preferred the previous default theme. I know it's pretty outdated now, but I think it was better suited to a default theme. Or maybe it's just nostalgia :p

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  20. rafalp

rafalp Desu Ex

+363
    That separator was black till few hours after release and I am thankful for that change as it constantly attracted attention away from posts content on page scroll.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.