Are IP bans rarer on popular sites?

Discussion in 'Site Security & Legal Issues' started by cheat_master30, Jan 2, 2017.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+836
    Well, someone mentioned it elsewhere in regards to Facebook, saying that the site would be less likely to IP ban members that break the rules in case they accidentally ban a family member/someone in the same company or school.

And it got me thinking:

Is this an actual trend? Do larger sites avoid using IP bans more, in order to prevent users sharing the IP being accidentally banned with the offending user?

Or are they just as willing as traditional forums to use them for persistent rulebreakers? What do you think?

2. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+2,727
    IP bans rarely work because IPs rotate in many cases.

3. maorninja

maorninja Aspirant

+5
    I only IP Ban the user if they rereg once they are already banned.

4. GCronk

GCronk Neophyte

+8
    I avoid them generally. With Dynamic IP's that can change, and the number of people using services like TOR and other VPN's to mask their IP it comes down to do you want to chase ban evaders all the time. I've also seen a case where someone tried to use a wildcard in an IP Block and wound up blocking a large block of the UK from accessing a site.

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+3,277
    I stopped doing it some while ago when members started to post from smart phones. I do still ban entire countries though :eek:

6. Tecca

Tecca Fan

+341
    Pretty much this. I only do IP bans on countries, but other than that I don't feel IP bans are very helpful. If the person wants to come back, they'll find a way anyway. Usually on sites that I run, when someone is warned and banned, they kind of get the point and don't come back until their ban ends (if it does).

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted