WooCommerce Anyone know any good WooCommerce plugins for selling add ons / themes / software / downloads?

R0binHood

Habitué
I want to try selling a XF2 theme I made so I put together a WooCommerce shop.

Can anyone recommend if there's any plugins that may be useful for licence management?

So:
  • The ability to add updated files to users accounts that have bought a licence after they bought it
  • The ability to let them still have access to the latest version of the file they're entitled to before the licence expired (as with XF)
  • The ability for a customer to renew a licence associated with a product they've bought
  • The ability to purchase a branding free bolt on for any licence they own. Either at checkout or after the fact.

Thanks

R0binHood

Habitué
I did, thanks. There's some good info in there, but it's not really what I'm looking for.

It looks like Chris' XenForo product manager might be a better product in the long run, but I don't really want to fork out just yet as I don't know if it'll be worth it.

I also really like the checkout system with WooCommerce. It's got stripe, apple pay, chrome pay, paypal. It's much more modern than being limited just to paypal in XF1.

Alpha1

Administrator
You can add stripe on xf1. However, that just gives you credit card payments, without all the payment methods Stripe has.
XPM is very good though.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I personally think it'd be a bit weird to go to a non-XF site to buy something for XF. It would make me question the skills of the person making it.

R0binHood

Habitué
XenForo is forum software, not ecommerce software. It makes perfect since to purchase things from dedicated ecommerce software.

Pete

XenForo is forum software, not ecommerce software. It makes perfect since to purchase things from dedicated ecommerce software.

Well, it gives the me impression of not knowing what products/tools to use for the job. Moreso with add-ons but if I'm looking at an XF theme to purchase, I want to see that the seller has put at least the same quality into their own site, because if their own site looks terrible, why would I believe their product to be any better?

R0binHood

Habitué
So you feel an ecommerce platform is not the right tool for selling stuff?

And why would you assume that a WooCommerce site would look terrible or that I had not put time or quality into my own site?

One reason I picked it is because product managers based on XF1 sites don't look great out of the box. It looks dated now and the checkout options aren't on a par with the experience you get with an up to date ecommerce platform.

Another reasons I thought I'd try it is because it's a dedicated ecommerce solution with a vast plugin eco system, something I feel most people would feel is more suited to selling things than a forum software.

I agree that XenProduct Manager is a good choice as it includes all the licensing rules and options, but I find it hard to believe there isn't a way to emulate that in the likes of WooComerce or Shopify, which excel in all the other aspects of running a store, hence why I'm asking for advice on how one might go about doing that.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
You use the software that works for your site, if you think XF is not a right choice then you look out for other solutions.

Have you looked at Magento with an addon its has good download solutions.

Pete

I'm just saying, if someone wants me to buy XF resources but doesn't want to use XF to sell those resources, for me, that's a red flag because it makes me think they haven't put the same effort in, and just cut corners.

It'd be like selling XF but having the forum not running XF itself: if you don't use your own product, why should I?

Alpha1

Administrator
Pete has a point there. I generally find it off putting if a developer has a WHMCS platform to sell their product. This indicates that XF is not their main activity and in more than a few cases makes it hard to find downloads. For a XF admin a XF based solution is easiest. In one case the WHMCS helpdesk even exposed my private license details to others.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
Well core XF is not a selling script but forum script so its not logical to use it as such. Let me say it in a way that less nice, XF has never looked at it that people want to use it as commerce script. Even Resource Manager cant do this out of the box what is a missed opportunity. XF needs to learn that XF is used in many differently ways.