Anyone here not use social media?

Discussion in 'Social Networking' started by PaulKet, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Yappi

Yappi Participant

+31
    I'm on the internet all day long and find plenty of information and news from Google and other sources (including my forum).

I always find it funny when some people around me tell me some "breaking news" from their Facebook account only to find out it's been out for hours, days, weeks, and sometimes even months. It happens quite frequently in my forum's niche.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  2. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,137
    Don't use social media.

To answer BrandonSheleyBrandonSheley's question, I use news portals but more often than not, I read the news from a few organizations I've been loyal to for years.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  3. Dee Johnson

Dee Johnson Aspirant

+4
    I cannot imagine a life without any form of social media, but then again i assume that it's because they 1.they value their privacy, and 2. they value their time spent in ancillary endeavors. I don't know how they do it because i would personally not have been able to survive!

4. sb1962

sb1962 Adherent

+142
  5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,792
    I don't really classify them as such by what the appears to be the common definition.
    In real life I'd put social media in the likes of a bar/pub/party.
    Forums I'd put in the likes of a interest club/group.

Yes, they both involve social interaction - but in the former it's more frequently encompassed by the stupid/idiotic/mundane type of interactions (think those stupid cat memes) whereas the latter is usually much more finely targeted and of interest to fewer people.

6. sb1962

sb1962 Adherent

+142
    How would you define groups on so called social media? That's 90% of my activity on facebook.

7. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated ass-hat

+2,792
    The groups are different than typical social media accounts... and you answered your own question when you asked it if you think about it. What is similar to what groups do and what forums do (think bringing niche groups together)... ergo my last comment. The only difference is the platform they are offered from. FaceBook Groups still suffer from some of the issues that their base platform does.

8. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+496
    I actually miss the days when we didn't have social media. The days when you could go out with a girl and she didn't spend half the night looking at her phone.

I only use social media for business purposes and for news (Twitter trends mostly). It's hard to have an intelligent conversation with anyone there.

9. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,855
    The biggest problem I see with forum owners and their failed use of social media is monotony. Many forum owners just auto-post forum content on social media and expect such media outlets to grow. The thing is, social media is big now and a lot of folks are on it. You have to basically build individual communities with each social media outlet you choose to use.

And with building these communities, you need to be unique with each of them while still cross promoting your forum content.

For example, not really forums but it can be related. I have a FB page for my youtube channel. I upload small 1-3 minute videos promoting specific types of videos or video series trailers that can be found on my youtube page. An example of such video is below. It isn't meant to spam TAZ, it is simply showing you what I put on FB in order to attempt to convert FB fans to youtube subscribers.

So while I do promote my videos (not using auto features), I'm also creating unique content on social media pages that can only be found on those specific social media pages.

No one wants to like your facebook page, follow you on twitter and etc. if all of the content on each page is the same. You have to be unique and create a community on each of them if you want social media marketing to be a success.

10. sb1962

sb1962 Adherent

+142

Can you share a link to the fb page if possible please? I'm interested to see it as we're about to do similar.

11. Dee Johnson

Dee Johnson Aspirant

+4
    I agree. Sad times..but you have to roll with it. I wish i could go back to this old times as well, but i must admit that i do like some of the facebook videos..some of them are just down straight hilarious! I choose to look at the positives because we cannot bring back the old times..unfortunately.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted