Anyone had experience with Patreon?

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by cheat_master30, Sep 20, 2016.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    For making money online, like for a YouTube channel or fan project?

And if so, how was it? Do you usually get a decent amount of patrons from this? Can you actually earn a decent living through it, like in the range of a few thousand a month?

Cause I've been looking down the Patreon pages for some sites I visit (and YouTubers I subscribe to), and most of those don't seem to make more than a few hundred at the high end. So they're obviously either working full time on the side or getting a massive amount of money on YouTube/through ads to make up for it.

So anyone have experience here?

2. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+633
    The amount of emails they send you upon registration is super annoying.

But if you want some donations, gotta deal with it.

3. Digital Phoenix

Digital Phoenix Coffee Ninja

+1,285
    Not personally, but quite a few YouTubers and streamers I watch use it rather successfully.

4. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,181
    You need a pre-existing roster of dedicaced supporters (like staff, contributors, fans...), which could probably already get leveraged without Patreon as a middleman. A large userbase doesnt suffice to increase conversions, but the system is handy for sponsorship of various levels.

That said, I wonder how converting a forum-centric subscription/premium system with time-limited premium perks (months, 1 year...) to Patreon would work. The much lower starting point for contribution (1$/month) could help keep them renewed for much longer than 'hold on this is too expensive' +20$ subs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.