Anyone else here not care about mobile device/social media users?

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by MarkFL, Jul 25, 2017.

1. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+960
    I for one, don't care whether my site looks good on the latest mobile toy, nor do I care whether social media junkies have a hard time navigating the registration process on the site I help admin. I don't want such users. I would rather have no users than that crowd, who want only to take.

I want quality users, that is, those users who are willing to take a minute to register, and who have access to a PC for more serious posting...and who don't whine about how their mobile toy and its lackluster non-compliant browser doesn't give them access to the rich features I have put into place.

Yes, I know my attitude has likely marked me for extinction, but I would rather go extinct than cater to the idiocy that seems to be the norm. I am hoping though, that in my niche, which is math help, there will be just enough serious students that will allow us to continue forward without having to pander to the brainless smartphone/social media masses.

Is there anyone else here who can afford to ignore the trendy users?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  2. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+312
    I don't think that way because 90% of the people I know only use a smartphone to access the internet. Most of them don't have a computer or if they have one they don't turn it on. Heck I am even posting this message from a smartphone right now. I have a pc and I use it all the time. But I'm in bed right now and I can browse the web in bed.

3. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,845
    Only anecdotally. As long as websites can be browsed from mobiles and are lightweight, it's not a top priority.
    Folks browse from a range of devices so bizarrely varied it's impossible to provide a uniform experience. Accomodating niche cases is pointless since users eventually change their setup and software.

4. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+535
    I'm a mobile user, but (and it's a BIG 'but') I only use the Internet on it to obtain information about a specific subject, for example someone may tell me a celebrity has just died and if I did not know about it and I was out of the house I'd use my mobile to check it out. But for participating in a forum, or even a SM site, not a chance. I much prefer using my computer and 24" (1600 x 1200) monitor to engage with others. Perhaps I'm just old fashioned, perhaps it's because I know I will have a better and more fulfilling experience using my computer than using a mobile or tablet; that's my preference.

Having said all of that, I do appreciate that more people use mobile devices than desk computers, I guess that's a sign of the times. I do not like SM at all, I've posted numerous replies in other topics on TAZ in reference to that dislike. But, if people (all kinds of people - even the brain dead ones) are engaging the Internet via mobile devices, I feel that we have a duty to ensure that what we offer them is, at the very least, usable on their preferred device so that they have an opportunity to participate.

Sign of the times.

;)

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,099
    The sale of desk-top PCs, laptops and even tablets is in steep decline while the sale of smart phones is increasing all the time. I'd take a guess that it won't be long before smart phones, cloud computing and docking to peripheral devices such as keyboards and monitors becomes the norm. That will kill off the desktop PC and other similar devices overnight.

I'm going to pose some annoying questions (don't hate me :p). Has technology really created a generation of lazy users or are we simply failing to embrace people's use of technology? Should we even judge laziness by a user's unwillingness to engage? Remember the days when you had to go to a library for knowledge? We went in, read what we wanted to read and contributed what exactly?

The way I see it is we can either embrace technology and make use of the time it saves us or sit writing letters with a quill and ink all day :eek:

6. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,202
    I don't particularly enjoy surfing the net by phone - it's one of those "only if I really have no other choice" situations, but I accept that I'm in the minority on that these days. Whether we like it or not, we have to accept that technology is changing (not necessarily for the better, in some cases) and to keep interest in forums we need to look at the mobile experience.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Matt C.

Matt C. Gaming Fanatic

+89
    stat-counter-mobile-web.jpg
    (taken from http://bgr.com/2016/11/02/internet-usage-desktop-vs-mobile/)

It's no secret that mobile internet browsing has surpassed desktop internet browsing. If websites want to stay relevant, they need to have a mobile first design with desktop second. Mobile browsing will continue to rise, and websites that don't adapt will be left behind.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+197
    I don't really care about social media much but mobile accessibility I do entertain but not in a proper manner. My community works on your phone, but it is mainly for those who browse while sitting on the bog using Wi-Fi than those who are out and about.

I guess you could say, I am bog standard. ba-dum-tss.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Lisa

Lisa The Black Widow

+8,202
    We so need a facepalm post rating lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Citizen K

Citizen K Aspirant

+18
    I generally equate mobile internet browsing with trying to look at a spectacular vista; through the wrong end of binoculars.
    Having said that, I do cater to my mobile using members with a half decent VB4 responsive theme.

11. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+165
    Ignoring mobile users these days is a fast track to the decline and extinction of your forum, IMO. For one thing, Google search will soon make it almost impossible for new potential members to find you; that's already in progress and will accelerate once Mobile First Search is launched in 2018.

Yes, the smart phone experience on most forums is pretty basic but it is a way for your members to at least keep up on new happenings while they are on the move or otherwise not able to log in with a larger screen. I think most realize and accept they're not going to get all the bells and whistles on a smart phone but it is a way to keep connected.

I had Tapatalk enabled for a while but I don't like the way they intervene between the forum owner and his members, or about how they impose their own rules and settings whether the forum owner likes them or not. But I do maintain a working mobile version of my forums for those who want it.

And don't forget that mobile doesn't only mean tiny smart phone screens. These days, smart phone screens are getting larger and many people supplement their phones with tablets. which are also getting larger and more functional. For tablets, they don't necessarily even need to use a mobile version of the forum. All they need is a responsive style and/or a responsive platform (like Xenforo or <shudder> vBulletin 5).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+535
    Responsive style - key words. As long as your forum is presentable and accessible on a mobile device then you are catering for a large audience. As I design websites for clients it's imperative to keep up with what's happening in regards to the Internet. I am now just beginning to use 'Flex' in my website designs and what a world of difference it makes, especially to mobile devices. I know that Woltlab uses Flex, not sure about any other forum software. So it is important to cater for this wider audience who use their mobile devices all day long.

:)

13. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

+1,610
    Their use might reduce by quite a lot for residential use, but not for business use, and not for a long while.

You only have to look at operating systems to see how slow these things can take.
    Most [big] companies are still using Windows 7 (or W8 as its quite similar), many are still (even now) still on XP.

14. Lal

Lal Aspirant

+6
    :LOL: I only care about mobile users. I don't own nor have I ever owned a computer.
    I didn't initially put my site together, but I'm amazed at how much I can do in ACP on my phone.
    Yes, I'm a noob.

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Moderator

+1,937
    85% of our users are on mobile. 5% tablet.
    And most only know social media. It has been a very big change for us moving from old vbulletin 3 to mobile friendly, social media friendly xenforo. We got hit by an never-ending supply of idiots it seemed at first.

Randomly posting anything anywhere. Forget about thread titles, forums or even the whole forum function. ✔ check!
    Posting question on random profiles ✔ check!
    Why not PM spam random members or the admin with random questions? ✔ check!
    Wall of text? ✔ check!
    txtspeak? ✔ Check!
    spoon-feeding? ✔ check!
    HEELP ME FRIGGIN NOW!!!! ✔ Check!
    Search engine? what is that? Let me just dump it right here. ✔ Check!
    Never look up if something was just posted or if there is a sticky right under your nose. ✔ Check
    Not reading rules and crying over an infraction? ✔ Check!
    Etc, etc.

My regulars felt the desire to put heads through a wall. Either the newbies or their own. Any pick would be great at that point.

So I definitely hear you there.

But it turned out that many new people were very willing to change. They just didn't know how. It took a lot of work, mass of community effort, writing guides, contacting new members about their mistakes, reputation ratings alerting them about inappropriate posts, and also implementing the required functionality to limit the zillion mistakes mobile social media users make. We still see it every day.

But its manageable now. We lost regulars who were not able to cope with the changes and the new crowd. And the community bans really bad members through reputation anyway, so that flushes out the worst of the worst.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,099
    I take your point, especially regarding operating systems but many companies have already scrapped all their desktop PCs in favour of laptops, tablets and some, like the company my wife works for are starting deploy devices such as 2nd generation Intel Compute Sticks.

The high cost of office space is forcing a lot of companies to employ hot-desking and more portable computing solutions. Another factor and one that I think will probably put an end to desktop PC manufacture is cost and form factor. I doubt many companies will want to pay $1,000 for a big box of hardware when the same power can be had in unit smaller than a mobile phone for $300.

Obviously there will be many businesses that will continue to run quite happily on their current hardware but I highly doubt many will be replacing it with similar equipment. I'd be very surprised if desktop computing as we know it survives another 10 years.

17. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+312
    Why not edit the posts? All you have to do is separate the wall of text into paragraphs. I have separated wall of text on my old forum.

18. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Devotee

+312
    Like I say 90% of the people I know don't even use a desktop anymore. They use their phone or tablet. My doctor once told me before "You can either change and adapt or be stuck in a rut and complain while everything changes around you" And I myself am going to change and adapt. ;)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. haqzore

haqzore Habitué

+744
    sometimes it's case-by-case scenario.

if your site & audience have little or declining mobile use, fine.
    if your site has a large or increasing mobile use, well, at least you've acknowledged marking yourself for extinction.

my opinion = ignoring mobile in 2017 is akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face. sure, you've made your point clear, but only while hurting yourself.

especially since many scripts & add-on styles are responsive out of the box. why NOT have a mobile option? you can almost ignore it and still be responsive.

in the end it's your site. if you want to cognitively be the cause of your own decline... so be it? i'm sure your competitors won't mind :)

20. insaneadmin

insaneadmin Enthusiast

+197
    I think MarkFLMarkFL is missing out on the potential numbers out there for his Maths help communities. I mean it isn't hard to imagine how many students of various ages and levels are looking for help and come across your place but leave because small device accessibility isn't that good. If anything, you're in more of a position to take advantage of this trend than any of us imo!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted