VPS Anyone else found their WiredTree hosting gone downhill since the buyout?

Discussion in 'Hosting Discussions' started by cheat_master30, May 18, 2017.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+906
    Because over the last few weeks or so, it seems like the quality of their hosting has basically dropped off a cliff. The support is worse than it used to be, and has struggled with simple problems on occasion. My servers seem to have regular MySQL errors and what not, despite never having issues like this before.

And it seems like LiquidWeb's buyout and the move to their servers may have caused this. So yeah, anyone else in a similar situation?

If so, where are they planning to move their sites to?

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+433
    Although I didn't experience any major issues, the little ones I did have got slow responses from support. I managed my own and another account on WiredTree and just moved them both to KnownHost. The support there has been stellar and very friendly - and I've been a pest. I'm real happy with the move, even though I'm paying a bit more. Of course, that is attributed to the fact I'm now operating a fully managed dedicated server instead of the hybrid VPS I had on WiredTree.

3. maksim

maksim Serial Entrepreneur

+108
    While I have not been on WireTree, I have used a hosting company that was acquired. Typically good companies do not need to buy out others and they grow their business themselves. Questionable companies may choose to grow through acquisitions. Unfortunately more often then not it may mean the same small staff is now responsible for ALOT more servers and support.

Over the last 6 years I have been with a company that is highly recommended on WebHostingTalk and have been very happy to pay hundreds every month for a number of servers.

More importantly, the staff is extremely responsive and while not guaranteed, every ticket I had with support was looked at by someone within 15 mins.

4. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+638
    It's a mess, alot of bad experiences posted on WHT from Wiredtree migratees including big thread at https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1614374.

I have already moved off Wiredtree myself and all my clients I manage are either moving off or have moved off Wiredtree. Still have a few more clients to move before Wiredtree datacenter is shutdown in mid-June (next month). So get out while you can !

I had been with Wiredtree for nearly 9yrs and alot of clients been there for 5-7+ yrs as well.

5. Timelord_

Timelord_ Enthusiast

+33

How do you find the performance vs. WT? I was on Wiredtree years ago and loved them

6. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,156
    I thought TAZ was on Liquid Web. I gave WiredTree a try for about six months back in 2010 but didn't find them to be satisfactory.

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Senior Citizen

+433
    Difficult to compare right now. A week after I moved to the new dedicated server, I converted my vB 3.8 forum to XF 1.5 and immediately switched to PHP 7. But like my Jeep, my computer and all the other technology I own, I don't pay much attention to the numbers. If I perceive a problem, I have a go at fixing it myself, ask a technical support expert to look into it, or hire a pro to do necessary repairs. I got better things to do than be a clock-watcher. I did that for nearly 3 years when I was diagnosed with lung disease. They gave me a short time. That time was up 7 years ago. I vowed never to watch a clock again.

8. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,862
    At one time we were, but we switched a couple of years ago.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  9. Timelord_

Timelord_ Enthusiast

+33
    Where is the site hosted now? Is there a thread somewhere on the forum outlining the basic architecture of the site?

10. Omri Amos

Omri Amos Neophyte

+0
    As soon as I've heard of this, I switched to hivelocity. Similar server (dedicated) for the same price (even a bit cheaper) and it works very well.

11. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+4,862
    TAZ runs on Hivelocity now. MattWMattW steered me in their direction. :tup:

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted