Sponsored AntiBB - Contrary to anything you know about Forums

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by ChrisTERiS, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Articles

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Reviews

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Classifieds

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Media (Audio, Photos, Video)

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  5. Newsletter

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  6. Events

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  7. Personals (Simple Dating)

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. Donations

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Coupons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. eCommerce

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+347
    Ahaa... Paid Subscriptions. Should be and depending on the subscription the user will be upgrade to xxx usergroup. What benefits he'll have as extra depends on the usergroup permissions of that group. But as the first version should not has any related to Ads features, I think that you've to wait for the next upgarde. Surelly I'll add support for Ads.

:(

In a short should be something, born from the marriage of Forums and Facebook.

2. joevelez

joevelez Moderator

+68
    Asking about addons already??? You don't even have a finished product ... it's not even BETA material.

Make sure you have a finished product first before asking about addons.

All links point to Google.
    User Generated content is different from in-house content.
    Some titles longer than others...
    Thumbnail images are the same. Most topics don't include image(s), attachments, etc.

Discourse offers a page addon that is similar to this. Grid layout, topics, ajax, etc

3. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+347
    First of all thank you for surprised me (on the bad way) and made me feeling like a sh***t right now. Don't think that I deserve it, but ok. I don't think that I'm mistaken, but still remember you old photo at vB.org with your son on hands. Family oriended and calm person. This was my opinion that I got.

Anyway, to reply to your comments:

Have wrote at least 3 times till now that that installation is only to test the search engine and nothing more. Also another 3 times I wrote, that there is a special reason that I added an extrernal link. The reason is that I wanted to show that by clicking the browser's back button, not only you'll go to the page that you were before but even to the screen position that you were when you clicked the list. Something that most Ajax searches does not support. There are some, that not only loosing page and position but even they loose the search criteria if you click a link. For all these, a simple scroll up to this thread, will proves it. The same if yor read, this thread

The script is 100% ready. Actually the script that I used as base has been released for free in the Resources Manager 6 months before (Feb 20th, 2017).

For the same reason that I don't care to code any importer, I don't care what other forum scripts. I'm HOBBIST coder and I'm doing ONLY WHAT I LIKE.

Again thank you for your bad surprise. Even unexpected, it's highly appreciated as it helps me to understand how much I've been mistaken for people on the net.

Have a nice day.

4. The Sandman

The Sandman Administrator

+5,544
    Chris - you have absolutely nothing to feel badly about. You're an asset to the vBulletin community and to TAZ. Joe's comments are only meant to help you avoid the pitfalls so many coders make. :)

5. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+347
    I don't think so. I felt it in my skin. Maybe just by instict, but I felt it. Once I've read Kier's blog saying that he don't pays attention to anything that people are saying on the net, unless if he knows them in person. What I thought reading it? "Look Chris, someone having your daughter's age, is more wise than you".

Anyway, the reality is that still my hands are shaking and don't dare to count my blood's pressure. And all this for what?? ....... You've a good saying in States "If you don't have something good to say, better don't say anything". Finally is not a Reviews thread.

That's all....... Have nothing else to day. All my life was full of disappointments. Pitty.

6. joevelez

joevelez Moderator

+68
    :) :) :)

Don't take it the wrong way Chris ... please take it as constructive criticism.

My point is that it doesn't help anyone to promote something that's not complete.

You've come a long way since your early days at vbulletin.org.

7. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+347
    At last !! The template is ready. Today started building the templates files. Unfortunatelly the designer delivered html files only so I must convert them to Smarty tpl files. Hopefully by 10th of September I'll be able to release the Standard version.

The Standard version will includes:
    1. Articles
    2. Blogs
    3. Media
    4. Y! Style Q&A
    The Pro version (ETA by the end of September), will has in addition, the follow sections:
    1. Classifieds
    2. Reviews
    3. Donations
    There are many things making this forum totally different than the others. Once again, to avoid misunderstandings. Just different. No mean of better.
    1. Mobile first. To keep the same user experiance even the desktop view the design will works like in mobile. An example. No droplist menus. All menus should activate a slide panel.
    2. Register/Login only with Facebook. But different than the others as none of the user data will be available in public. After authentication the user must selects a username, upload an avatar etc etc.
    3. And while all members will see usernames and many other fake (in most cases) details in user profile, Admins (and only Admins) will see the real facebook data. As an example. Looking in my profile you're seeing ChrisTERiS while Admins will see Chris Teriakis, plus all other facebook data (Gender, Age, Location).
    4. The heart of the forum should be the Timeline which is also the homepage.
    5. Other than the homepage/timeline should be only 4 more pages:
      1. Memberlist
      2. Convertations (Private Mesages)
      3. Usercp
      4. Admincp
    6. All others (Create/Edit Post, User Profile, Contact Us etc) will open in modal windows.
    7. In Timeline and Memberlist pages should be a sticky button on right side which will activates the Search form. Filter content in Timeline, Filter Members in Memberlist.
    That's for the moment.

Attached Files:

8. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,795
    If I understand correctly, a user must have a facebook account before they can register on any site running your software?

9. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+347
    Exactly Mark. There is a chance to loose less than 5% of people who don't have a Facebook account, but from the other side you pass to Facebook all the dirty work for verifications. Also bots does not have FB account. Even in case that they've, they can use it once, and for sure they're much less than bots in sites with normal registration procedure.

Actually what I think is that those people who'll decide to not use FB, is a big chance that they didn't came for good in your site.

10. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+347
  11. MarkFL

+1,795
    I have no need for a fb account, and will never have one as I am concerned about their practices, and yet I have never joined a site with bad intentions. I realize I am in the tiny minority, but not all of us without fb accounts are up to no good.

I can see allowing fb users to register using their fb account (this isn't something I would ever want to do), but restricting all users of your software to fb users only seems a bit restrictive.

12. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+347
    MarkFLMarkFL

Hope that you know how much I respect you as person and your opinions. But as the forum name says, my forum is (really) out of any standards without to be a Facebook clone.

Finally I changed the name. That "Anti" sounds a bit hard. The final name is: EscBB with headline "Escape from Standards". That's why I'm trying to make it looks and work different than the others.

PS: I'm also not using FB. That's why I've only 6 friends there.

13. MarkFL

+1,795
    I still think users without social media accounts should be given a way to register the old-fashioned way, but that's likely just me. It's your product, and you can code it any way you see fit. :)

14. MarkFL

+1,795
    By the way, I do want to wish you the best in this endeavor, and I hope my comments have not come off as derogatory. I really just wanted to make sure I understood correctly, and to give my opinion. What you have done here is truly impressive! :cool:

15. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+347
    You know very well that I listen to users' opinions. If they asked me to add back the code for Login/Registration, I'll do it. Said "put back" because actually I removed the code from paradoxBB. But in my own site (thinking to start a Community in Greece), for sure I'll use the FB connect version.

16. MarkFL

+1,795
    Yes, I have seen how well you support your products. :)

If it were me, I think I would give the admins using your forum software the choice to use native registration only, fb registration only, or both, from within the AdminCP settings. :)

17. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+347
    There is a "technical" problem here and it's name is TIME. If I change my plans right now, the release will goes at least a week later. For the moment I'll release it as is. Don't like to go back.

18. MarkFL

+1,795
    That, of course, is entirely up to you as the developer. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+347
    MarkFLMarkFL

If you go at https://www.escbb.com/code/ and click the User+ icon at top right, you'll see that still the login form is there. Login normal, Register with Social Networks.

20. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Tazmanian

+1,828
    Chris ... a potential market for your product is people wanting to move away from vB3 but don't like the options. A product that is "like vB3" but newer is a good idea.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.