Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jersyasha, Jul 12, 2018.

1. jersyasha

jersyasha Neophyte

+0
    Kaspersky or AVG which one is best for laptop security?

2. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+599
    I'm on Windows 7 and Microsoft Security Essentials works great for me, regarding your question, I used to run Kaspersky with good results.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. Pete

Pete Flavours of Forums Forever

+600
    I usually recommend BitDefender if I get asked to recommend an AV product.

4. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,043
    Kaspersky's free edition will give you the essential base protection but I'd recommend getting the internet suite for peace of mind if you can get it cheap (you can activate a 30 days unrestricted trial to see if you like it).

5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,699
  6. Maddox

Maddox Moderator

+881
    This question is a bit like which forum software is the best - you will get a variety of answers from people who use and swear by what they use. I tend to go for whatever gives the best value for money as they are practically all the same. I used to use Norton and did for many years until I spotted a better deal from ESET so that's what I use now and it does what it says on the tin.

Personally, I wouldn't use a freebie AV as they tend to bombard you with adverts to upgrade to a paid version, or they have less features; but that's a personal choice. Go with whatever you feel is right for you - explore the market and look for one that is not a disk or resource hog, especially for a laptop.

;)

7. djbaxter

djbaxter Tazmanian Veteran

+450
    Windows Defender works very well for me. It hasn't let anything through in a good few years and it's especially adept at keeping your system safe in the Windows 10 version.

I also use Malwarebytes Free (not always running - just on demand) as a second opinion. I run a full scan periodically when I remember I haven't done that for a while or if I notice any weirdness. So far, those instances of weirdness have not turned out to be malware, although there was one recent adware detected and removed from a utiliy installation where I didn't read everything and just clicked Next through the install process. (They did actually ask me if I wanted to install the extra stuff: I just failed to read and uncheck it. Totally my fault.)

8. Abraham54

Abraham54 Aspirant

+4
    AVG Free slows the boottime.
    If you don't want to rely on Windows Defender the Avira Free is the best option - runs very light in Windows and give best safety.
    The Free version will also rule the Windows firewall.

9. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,140
    Kaspersky Internet Security with Malwarebytes Pro is what I'd recommend.
    Great protective combo.

J.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+304
    Webroot. Nothing else comes close.

• Informative! Informative! x 1
    • List
  11. djbaxter

+450
    Really. Never heard of it. Not once in the 20-something years I've been doing this sort of thing.

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  12. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+304
    Read around, it consistently gets perfect scores for malware detection and blocking. By far the most lightweight as well.

• List
  13. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,699
    I remember it from a few years ago. It has a rather unique approach to detection which doesn't sit well with recognised testing methods.

• List
  14. PoetJC

PoetJC ♠ Jacquii: Black Kween of Hearts ♠

+5,140
    1st time ever hearing of Webroot.
    Interesting...

Care to expound on that please?
    Thanks!

J.

• List
  15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,699
    I believe it looks to see what changes are being made to writeable areas on your computer and determines if those changes are malicious.

[Edit] Reading that back it sounds a little ridiculous so maybe I have it wrong but I do recall there was a fair bit of controversy about it when it was first launched.

• List
  16. djbaxter

+450
    Doesn't any A/V program that uses heuristics do that?

• List
  17. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,699
    I think it's similar but not the same. Heuristic detection generally executes the suspect code within a sandbox. I don't think Webroot does that.

18. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,326
    I don't run antivirus on any machines I manage because I've always considered it a waste of resources. It's better to teach people good habits and just clean up during the rare cases where they get through. Everyone else on my local network isn't doing anything high risk enough to get a virus (meaning they don't pirate anime, applications and games at the speed of light like I've been known to do from time to time). For security we have three machines running OpenBSD which mostly acts as a firewall and I regularly update the blacklist I have on it. I also block all ads on the network with those machines which gets rid of 99% of the attack vectors my family and friends catch viruses and malware from.

If it were just me I'd even have google and facebook blocked at the router level but the last time I did that I got too many complaints. I can't get them to drop the facebook addictions so I'm forced to allow it through for now. All my personal machines are on a separate subnet and behind their own OpenBSD box to prevent anything from their computers infecting my own while also allowing me to block everyone else's access to the internet when required. We haven't had any trouble in many years unless you count the one time a family member fell for the "web page blaring audio requesting you to call a number in India and hand over your CC details" scam. I've had to clean up after those twice, once for a family member and once for a friend. They both learned their lessons: consult the local geek instead of trusting someone speaking broken English.

Also, since converting a few machines over to Linux distros I've had a lot less trouble than I ever did with Windows. I've managed to get two family members on it thus far because all they do is browse the web. Still haven't gotten my brother or father off Windows though. I also have a few machines running DOS, Windows 3.11, and Windows 2000 because we have equipment that requires those OSs to run the software required to manage them. I'm looking to get rid of them in favor of one machine/VMs.

In total we have about 30+ devices spread over two seperate networks. The cable guys get wide eyed when we have to call them out because I have so much CAT5 and CAT6 running all over the farm. Technically it isn't allowed but we have a business level account so they don't say anything.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  19. Brad

Brad Charter Member

+1,326
    I got to ranting, sorry. I know it isn't a popular opinion and I always get hate when I post it but I will always contend that anti-virus is snake oil. There is no good way to recover a machine that's been infected with a virus/rootkit. I will never trust it and the entire thing must be torn down, wiped, and the OS reinstalled. I got tired of constantly re-installing Windows for family members many years ago. I put my foot down and finally told them either learn good habits that I'm willing to teach you or start paying me for all this free support. It took awhile but everyone knows what to avoid now and when things are off they come to me before the problems get out of hand. I even have a creepy Uncle that does nothing but look at p0rn and camwhores who manages without anti-virus on Windows XP. If he can learn how to do it anyone should be able to.

Plus it's my network which I've made pretty clear. If they want to go to school to learn how to run it and start footing the bill and dealing with the cable people they're free to run their own. So far no one has made any efforts towards moving. I've had over 300 people using my network at one time when we've had parties with a bunch of bandwidth hogs streaming audio/video/torrenting/consuming a ton of bandwidth and never had a hiccup. If I didn't employ traffic shaping on those OpenBSD boxes it would have been a disaster.

20. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+304
    Good habits won't protect you against downloading malicious software that shouldn't be malicious (i.e, downloading Firefox from Mozilla.com when an intrusion has taken place and the .exe has been binded with malware).
    In your case this isn't an issue. Much like you, I didn't run AV software on Linux.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.