An International Voting System

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by truthingtotruth, Jan 24, 2019.

1. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    Let me first provide some background to show that I am very serious with my question.

For a fair number of years, maybe 20 or so, I have been doing private research on some manner of creating a World Government of some sort. I had a sort of timetable set up based on a life going into my 80s. That got kicked in the butt in November of 2017 when them doc folks found out I had blood cancer, so I've pushed everything forward.

One part of the "everything" is this group at the WSA that I am pushing to focus on doing what the WSA management folks write on their site they want to do; form a World Government. That group at the WSA has a bunch of dreamers and my dreaming mode is long over and dreaming ain't gonna get no World Government formed.

I won't give up on them WSA folks, but I have to get technical on a number of fronts, and one is just how in the heck can we get billions of folks around this planet into a voting regime on a frequent basis?

That vocabulary "frequent" means about every 6 years. I think billions of folks voting every 6 years could be called frequent.

BUT the key question is how can this voting be achieved?

Firstly, it obviously has to be done using the Internet. And I suspect many would like to debate that point, so I'll leave that open for debate.

But let's think about what needs doing after the debate is concluded and folks agree the Net is the only way:

How can it be done?

I sure would appreciate some help, folks.

* * * And I better make one statement right up front and early! * * *
    I ain't got no desire to be a world leader. I ain't got no desire to be getting money from this work. And I sure ain't got no desire to be known while my face still has life in it. I DO NOT WANT TO BE FAMOUS!!

2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+1,958
    Internet voting is going to be a disaster how are you going to control that people are not presured by others watching over their shoulder making sure they vote for the RIGHT person. Going to a public place where there is control who enters the votingbox is key, one person per box either by computer voting or by paper. If its by computer the box needs to be shielded for easedroppers. Computer voting is the fasted way to get results but you need to take meassures to make sure the computer is save for hackers and so on, so a printout and a paper would be recommended. But here comes the biggest issue for voting around the world, if a country starts voting at 00:00 midnight to 23:59:59 and you have polling going on then people later on that day can stratigic vote. The issue is not the voting it self because you can do that on country basis but making sure it’s done in such way people are not influanced by what happend in other countries.

3. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    Well, one thing that came into my stupid brain a few years ago, and I have some notes around that I could dig up, is to get the funding for a portable type machine that is only for voting.

I'm working from deep brain stuff without my notes, but I seem to remember the idea was this machine would actually be sold to folks based upon their income at time of purchase and if they are rich types they pay way more than the lower income folks and the extra money is only for support of the whole hardware stuff surrounding this machine thing.

That's just a rough idea I only remembered as I read your post. I hadn't even remembered that when I did the OP up there.

As for your other points - - - you are right on target - - - darn hard to pull off. For sure. All kinds of problems need solving. Probably more than you have listed.

But it has to be done. It will be done. I doubt that it can be stopped. You see, I think a World Government is a natural way we are going to go on this planet. Not soon, for sure. But we better get ourselves one of them democratic style ones before some monster puts one together that is not democratic and then has the power to keep it going his/her own way.

Yep, lots and lots and lots of difficult problems to solve, but we can do it. Humans are pretty cool about dealing with difficult stuff. I'll put a wager on the table we can do it.

4. we_are_borg

+1,958
    Humans when addressed with difficulty we tent to think of great solutions.

Selling a voting machine no that is paid by a government not people. Take for example Star Trek where you have Earth and its countries while its one government you still have countries why because else you will lose diversity if everything is the same. So voting can then be done by country and the government is the one giving the voting machines to the people.

5. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+124
    Wont happen in our lifetime or the next generations either.

In fact will probably never happen, too many things can go wrong and be manipulated, for example would you trust facebook with your vote? Another problem is every company is biased politically, it would be virtually impossible to set something up where a company wouldnt want to manipulate it for their advantange.

Maybe Sweden or Canada will bring it in then... /makes sense.

6. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    I have an idea that a true world government entity would only be "true" if it is completely independent of national/regional governing entities. I'm thinking of the whole range: taxes, laws, voting, etc.

I smell that there could be serious room for bad stuff to happen if we were to allow a national government to control the voting for the international government. There would be a need to oversight of the voting within all the national governments and that alone would require a monster budget. And probably create some nasty bad atmosphere between the two governing bodies.

But I am also not advocating that national governments be done away with.

7. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    cornnfedd, I'm absolutely with you on it not happening in maybe the next 50 or so years. Maybe 100 years.

But it is going to happen, for sure. It is a sort of natural evolution of the human governing thing on this planet, since we decided we didn't want to blow ourselves into heaven with a bunch of them nasty nuke things.

We have seen this governing process get more and more sophisticated ever since two villages decide to stop throwing stones at each other and try and get along. And it is true that was a few thousand plus years ago, so this governing evolution thing has been evolving for thousands of years, but the pace of change has been picking up.

The thing is, humans are too wide open to some really clever manipulation of the tech mechanics related to the Net and I have this awful 6th sense that if we don't create the next generation of government some really bad individual or group will do it himself/herself/themselves and we gonna be in some deep trouble that we may have a super hard time getting out of.

My apologies, everyone, but I sense there are hidden dangers in this Net business that nobody has really figured out, yet.

But it is still a way of governing that I think is a sort of natural evolution of the governing thing with us human folks. I suppose I sort of feel humans are smarter than they realize.

8. we_are_borg

+1,958
    A world government is not going to happen soon its complicated. This will take another 2 or 3 generations so 200 to 300 years.

Look at the EU for example thet EU and government say its good for the people but in the end i do not have more money in my pockets even worse i have less because of the taxes and stuff we sign on for because of the EU. If small stuff like the EU does not have full support of the people then the world is to much to ask. Will it ever happen maybe but we need to start in the country we live people need to feel like kings only then you can work closer together with others.

9. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,991
    The larger a government the more difficult it is for people to hold leaders accountable. Power corrupts and the last thing I want is the consolidation of power in one worldwide government. If you look at political leaders who favor a worldwide government, its usually to impose more of their beliefs on others.

I'd rather see more co-operation between nations than more consolidation. You can have well-intentioned people at the top, but the reality that once something is set in place you don't know who will be at the top in the future. It's why many well-intentioned laws are so slippery.

10. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+884
    I think we're going to need an evolution in people, society, and politics before that can ever happen. The United Nations was supposed to be a place where member countries could come together, each with an equal voice, to discuss global issues and resolve problems. It is largely ineffective because the smaller countries still have a small voice, and the few bigger countries are busy playing politics.

11. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    I fear that I didn't do this quite right. I sincerely did not mean for this to be unfolded in this manner. I mean, I didn't plan this thread like some clever politician type. I am not even sure what got me to start the thread here in this community to start with. I think I read posts in other threads by y'all and am impressed by some brains displaying some good thought processing work and that makes my own brain start. This first paragraph in this post is a really long apology.

You see, I realized I had left out a key idea that is stuck in my brain. But I actually leave the idea behind in that other community where they claim they really are looking for ways to create this world governing entity thingy. I leave this idea out because it is even weirder than the world governing entity one.

You see, I have been slowly developing the idea that maybe the Net itself is a new sort of entity that can govern itself as if it were a nation.

I know I have written about that idea out in public --- the Net public --- at some recent time in the past. "Recent" meaning maybe in the past couple of years, but I am not sure where as I write this right now. I was allowed to briefly touch the subject at Google's public Gmail community, but I dared not push too hard and I am sure I never went anywhere near as far as I have gone here. I think I also went into a tad more detail with a special team I am a member of at Google, but not too far there, either. Maybe the ISOC, but I am not looked upon too kindly there, also.

I am aware that I am coming across as amazingly and stupidly disorganized, and you'd be right in thinking that of me. The past ten days or so have been some mighty mean days and I have yet to get caught up with things and when I post around here, it is more as a kind of coffee table style of posting and not "I am teaching." style. Or a "We are engaged in research." style. Or anything close.

But even if the Net could receive recognition as it's own international and independent community that is allowed self-government, it would still fall under the category of a world government, wouldn't it?

12. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+884
    No it can't. The internet is not an independent community.

13. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    Nev_Dull, would you feel it is correct to state there are many communities on the Internet? As, for example, The Admin Zone? Do you view The Admin Zone as being a community?

Personally, I view The Admin Zone as a community. I view my forum as a community. But that's me.

What do you think?

14. Anton Chigurh

Anton Chigurh Ultimate Badass

+847
    Read "The Singularity is Near" by Kurtzweil then read some other works by leading futurists. The technological curve is millions of times steeper than the human advancement curve. Now, think about that and how it applies to your John Lennon "Imagine" narrative.

You haven't any basis really, to be envisioning the current human systems of sovreignty ever being given up. Not before the Singularity changes everything.

15. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    Anton Chigurh, there are many authors that have written many fines pieces over the many years since that fine fella nailed together the first device for printing lots of the same manuscripts over a short period of time, but I am afraid that my brain is now embarked on a journey of its own and any further reading, as you have offered for me to do, just isn't in the works.

There comes a time, sir, when one must start to clear his/her own path through the minefield of ideas a fully stuffed brain may come up with, and further reading doesn't help.

As for your being impolite to me, that indicates to me that something in what I have written here in this thread is a concern to you. Otherwise, why would you be impolite to a fella human that I do not believe has been impolite to you?

So, I thank you. You indicate to me that I must be doing/writing something in at least a slightly correct way.

P.S. Actually, there were many fines pieces written by many other fine minds before that printing thing was put together in that German area of our fine planet.

16. Anton Chigurh

+847
    So... Much verbosity to say basically, "I don't need to read any books."

All I needed to know.

Great big verbose posts always means you can't dazzle with brilliance, so you try to baffle with bullchit.

17. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    I am afraid I missed who wrote that which you have in the quote marks - - - "I don't need to read any books." You are obviously not indicating to this community that I wrote that because we are all sure that you do not engage in falsehoods, correct?

And while I have your attention, sir, may I place before you the same question I asked of another of our community - - - well, excuse that slip - - - I am of the opinion The Admin Zone is a community. Are you of the same opinion?

18. Klaatu

Klaatu Fan

+576
    I don't see something like this happening in our lifetimes. I mean, are countries even run by governments anymore? It looks to me like everything is being decided by (and for) corporations and the wealthiest.

19. Anton Chigurh

+847
    Deflection won't work either... Anyone reading your verbose and rambling post would come to the same conclusion. You SAID, in as many weasel words as you could muster," I don't need to read any books."

So.. You don't need any more education, you don't need to expand your mind anymore, it's already expanded far beyond any "community."

Love it.

20. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    Firstly, I must apologize, sir, for a very limited explanation of this: I feel quite a fair bit of sorrow for you. You are destined to live in a shallow world and so you will not be able to fully comprehend the true beauty of life. That is very sad for you.

Secondly, I apologize in advance for not having the time after this post to focus on anything further you may write in any location of our community. You use such crude language to an elder of your community and a human you know not, so you obviously have evil intent alone in your heart; thus I feel it is best my fair to ignore you in future. Again, I apologize.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.