An interesting situation involving converting from ProBoards.

Discussion in 'Free Hosted Forums' started by TrixieTang, Jan 27, 2013.

1. petertdavis

petertdavis Not a Beginner

+229

I didn't mean cringe as in scary, I meant cringe as in like someone scraped their fingernails across the chalk board.

2. BarneyL

BarneyL Enthusiast

+22
    Fascinating for someone like me who wants to bring a forum to the Web platform of the TV station I work for (the platform hasn't decided forums are useful and I know how useful they can be! And, yes, a chore to babysit, etc. I'd love to bring something like Ning INTO our Website, but they don't get along with iFrames. I appreciate the Proboards official came into here and tried to respond to attacks. I know that feeling all too well from moderating the Disqus comment threads on our Website. It gives me hope the time I may invest in setting up the Proboards forum I just upgraded to v5 will be worth it.

3. ooo

ooo Neophyte

+0
    they are traps

In my opinions, free forums are traps! they do business by "tricking" people into using thier service. Back then, I was young and stupid to not read their TOS( even if I did, I wouldnt fully understand what everything mean anyway, like I didn't even know what database was) and I just really like the idea of having my OWN forums, so I signed up for a free forum. and now, I know that I do not even own my own forum to begin with, I was basically just doing all of the hard work for managing other companys forum, using their domains and increasing their ranking and traffic for them, so ya, I was basically "tricked" into using serives without knowing all that, and I doube if people know all this, they will still use their service. so ya, most people are basically trick into using their service, I think in their ads, they should say: "set up our free forum within a minute" instead of "set up your own free forum within a minute" ( even the ads are misleading people into believe that they are seting up their own forums!) so ya, people who don't know much about hosting a site will easily be tricked into using their service and ended up runing their forums for free.

4. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,055
    You really should not be offering a script to somebody that breaks copyright law, along with a members privacy. Bit silly of you that!

Also, why do you even keep the scrapping script if you've no use for it?

5. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+906
    I keep it because I know Proboards keep removing it, in case there's somehow an emergency that requires it. Don't want to end up like 'oh, I need a converter right now. Oh wait, I lost it four years ago. Damn'.

And it doesn't break copyright law. It might break the rules on Proboards, but their rules are not exactly legally binding and haven't been tested in court yet. Also, not everyone is going to sit happily and obey laws they think are unjust. Legal doesn't equal ethical.

6. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,055
    Thought you didn't run any ProBoards forum, you don't even sound as though you like their service? :hmm:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  7. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+906
    I've used a few Proboards boards as a member, and there's a good reason I don't use them any more. Community? Was mostly fine on said sites. The software? Not so much.

8. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,055
    Have you even tried version 5, most likely you used older version 4 (which agree wasn't good). Very different to version 5, and is much like XenForo in many ways. I'm not trying to defend it here, just because my forum is powered by it, not bothered what you or anybody else thinks. If I thought it was crap, believe me I'd say so and close the board down in a heartbeat.

So guess I won't be seeing you hanging around my new forum, like you did phpBB3 one. Seeing as you can't stand ProBoards?

9. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+274
    Hmm so proboards can profit off the users posts and the admin's hard work of getting the users to their system but the creator of the forum has no avenue to make money by selling their work? Sounds like a sweet gig for Proboards. This was yet another speaker at ForumCon on building successful communities? Seems we really missed out on some sound advice there.

I think it is kind of odd that Proboards homepage has a CTA to move your own forum to them as well.

10. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+274
    Am I missing your post somehow or did you succumb to the great content delete fairy of TAZ that leaves no one with context?

11. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,055
    Valid points, they do get all that for offering a community that will never cost you anything to run. Things sway way better in their favour for making money, agreed on that.

Here is something to think about though. If you look at this forum called Horse Gossip running proboards, they have a section called Equine Services. Now I'm not saying they make money from that running the board, but surely you can see how they could in allowing services to capture sales from members, maybe an agreed percentage made through forum with each service advertised there?

I've no idea if that's against ProBoards policy or not, haven't checked. But how would they know anyway if you agreed it with shops "in private" and then let them advertise on your board like their.

12. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+274
    I edited my post to make it clear I meant selling the forum as far as making money. You can generate revenue from Proboards if you pay Proboards to remove their advertisements.

I still don't understand what is so hard about 8.95 hostgator and a PhpBB, MyBB, SMF or many of the other free software out there that gives you complete control of the forum. At this point in the forum world era, there is basically an article to hold your hand through every process of running your own forum.

13. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,055
    Come on... you've known me long enough from vBulletin days, to know I don't need lessons in how to host a forum board myself on a server host rented. :foilhat:

14. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Fanatic

+274
    Dude I don't know why you are getting so pointed and snippy about my posts but that was not directed at you. Why are you assuming so many things?

15. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,055
    Not getting snippy about anything, I was joking more than anything actually. Guess you US folk don't quite get the British sense of humour?

But anyway.. I've said enough about ProBoards. Dam... I only use their forum service, I'm not their spokesperson. Ha!

16. Greg

Greg TAZ Rookie

+130
    Honestly, I thought about it. In the end I decided it wasn't quite right for my community, but it was tempting.

17. pclinger

pclinger Aspirant

+17
    Hi guys, Patrick from ProBoards here.

We're actually introducing some new features pretty soon here that will help forum admins generate revenue while still getting our free hosting. More details will be posted on our blog once the features go live.

18. GTB

GTB Tazmanian

+1,055
    Where is the LIKE button when you need it. :yeah:

19. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+1,745
    Will that be cumulable with the ad removal plans?

20. Greg

Greg TAZ Rookie

+130
    Patrick- one of the criticisms of Proboards is that there's "no escape". I know that that is due to the way you assign ownership of content (which, while not my preferred method, is at least sane in my opinion). My biggest issue is that while it's well known on TAZ that you can't take your content with you, it's not the most easily accessible information. Have you considered adding a "moving out" section to the FAQ or similar?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted