I won't post any links, as it really isn't relevant, it's a client's site and I want to respect their privacy. Anyway, this client had upgraded from VB to XF 2.0 a few months ago. After they saw massive traffic drops they realized they weren't redirecting old urls to XF. They hired someone to fix this, and it really didn't help. I went in and found the other developer had put in a few dozen manual redirects for forums, a few prominent threads, but there weren't any means to do global redirects of all URL types properly. After implementing XF 2's VB redirection addon, .htaccess rewrites for vBSEO and a custom PHP file to handle certain types of vBSEO urls .htaccess couldn't handle, the site started seeing a recovery in less than a week and traffic has grown steadily on a daily basis since then. So, the site was working well from that point. Yesterday I received a somewhat panicked message from them on Skype. They upgraded to XF 2.1 beta, and it broke the theme in major ways. Some of their addons were also causing errors. I checked, and none of the issues could be resolved without significant (ie, costly) time working on the theme, XF 2.1's templates and PHP bug fixes. I asked them if they made a backup before they did this, and found their last full backup was from over a month ago. I don't chastise when someone is stuck like that. We've probably all made mistakes like that at one time or another (and now I'm in the process of implementing a daily automatic backup), plus no one wants to be kicked when they are down. They were faced with a decision: 1. Roll back a month to their full XF 2.0 backup, and lose a month's worth of posts - not a viable option since its a busy board. 2. Do step 1, and pay me to manually move all new users, threads, and posts from 2.1 back to 2.0. They didn't want the expense of this. 3. Disable several useful addons, switch to XF 2.1's default theme and wait it out while addon developers and the theme provider produced updates. They went with option 3. The theme provider says they will have an update in a week, but no word yet on all the addons. So, if you feel you must run beta software on a live site, my suggestions: 1. Backup everything 2. Backup everything 3. Backup everything 4. Did I mention backing up everything? 5. Ask all addon and theme providers if they are XF 2.1 compatible. 6. Try it first on a staging/test site before going live. This includes testing for proper operation of all addons. For me, it's just too much hassle. It's not going to hurt a site to wait a month, or maybe a few, for XF 2.1 to go gold before upgrading.