Alternatives to PhotoPost?

MarkB

Participant
I was all set to purchase PhotoPost tonight, and found they don't accept PayPal. Unfortunately, due to not being in this country long enough, I don't have a credit card.

Does anyone know an alternative to PhotoPost with all (or most) of its features?

MarkB

Participant
Wow - I remember trying coppermine ages ago, and it's come a long way since then :)

AND it has a vB3 bridge add-on apparently.

Thanks mate - I'll look into it tonight, and may well save myself $130 :bouncy:

dpakman91

Participant
i am also considering coppermine, can anyone who uses it comment on how good it is, how it integrates with vb, etc?

Ted S

Tazmanian Master
Not to take your thread away from the original question but why not apply for the PayPal Debit Card which works as a credit card?

dpakman91

Participant
i have a couple quick questions about coppermine before i download and install:

1) i saw on the website it says you have to have GD installed...how can i find out if i haev this installed/enabled on my host?

2) i'm running vb3. ideally, i woudl wnat to set it up so that only members with paid subscriptions have the ability to post their pictures. can this be done?

3) how easy is it to install and get going?

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
dpakman91 said:
i have a couple quick questions about coppermine before i download and install:

1) i saw on the website it says you have to have GD installed...how can i find out if i haev this installed/enabled on my host?

2) i'm running vb3. ideally, i woudl wnat to set it up so that only members with paid subscriptions have the ability to post their pictures. can this be done?

3) how easy is it to install and get going?

1) AdminCP > Statistics & Logs > View PHP Info - Scroll down the page a ways until you hit the gd section.

2) Shouldn't be a problem to set up a usergroup with the necessary permissions for Subscribers only.

3) Don't know that one...

Tom M

Participant
3) Once I started the install process I had it running in about 15 minutes. Another 30 minutes or so to tweak it into the shape I wanted with permissions, etc.

dpakman91

Participant
that's great, i think i will have to go ahead and get it set up.

as far as GD, i checked and do have it enable. thanks!

CyanSmoker

Beanie and Shades
3) Coppermine is fairly easy to install, but it takes a while to give it a look you like.

MarkB

Participant
Ted S said:
Not to take your thread away from the original question but why not apply for the PayPal Debit Card which works as a credit card?

Because it's not available to UK residents :) US only, I believe.

Daisy

Enthusiast
my vote is for coppermine too.
I am running it with invision board and now there are new hack at ibplanet.com to integrate coppermine completely in invisions so they use the same skin and language file.

MarkB

Participant
Heh - I'm trying to sort it out with vB3 right now, actually :)

It's just taking some work to sort out the various usergroups, tied in with vB. :cookoo: It looks just as nice as Photopost, too, so I can save my money for another Hivemail license ;)

accyroy

Giant Hedgehog
How did the install go mark? is coppermine looking good with vb3? Any chance of an url to have a quick peak at current progress?

MarkB

Participant
It's the default look, but the usergroups are at least working. No URL as yet, because it's not public.