Advantages/Disadvantages on MyBB

Discussion in 'MyBB' started by Ashley S, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+125
    I don't know why but MyBB is just.. awesomeness!
    I find it easy to manage things in the ACP, MCP etc.

Do you own a MyBB forum?
    What are your disadvantages on MyBB and what do you like most?

My only disadvantage is there's not many themes being made for MyBB 1.8.

2. Jayfore

Jayfore Aspirant

+6
    I have been using MyBB since 2010, coming from phpBB. I am very happy with it, though there don't seem to be as many active plugin developers anymore. With the new version, lots of additional features have been added so this makes a number of the plugins no longer necessary. I plan to keep using it because it works well and it's easy to manage.

3. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,947
    Advantages: To me the looks, MyBB is probably the nicest looking free forum around. The updates are good too, they update it more than SMF and PhpBB combined updates.

Disadvantages: Many modern features in most software is not in MyBB, like paid subscriptions, or at least it wasn't back when I used it. If I were to use a free software though, I would probably be MyBB or ElkArte if it is still going which is a fork of SMF.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. AllanD

AllanD Habitué

+164
    I have tried mybb a couple of times and for some reason I just can't seem to like it. I want to really bad but I just can't.

5. r3v0lution

r3v0lution Enthusiast

+48
    See you decided against Xenforo?? Why pushed you away?

6. Joe.

Joe. Adherent

+207
    Advantages: Its free, user friendly and easy to maintain.
    Disadvantages: Its not the most feature packed or secure software out there.

7. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Tazmanian Master

+1,947
    Not the most secure you say? Why do you say that?

I wonder because I want to say that I read they get an outside party to audit their security methods. I would think if they kept paying a company like that, that they would be a fairly secure software to use.

8. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+125
    Read PM.

I love MyBB all round I don't see any problems with it.

9. marcgo15

marcgo15 Adherent

+109
    Advantages
    • It's free
    • It still reminds me of what forums use to be before trying to go all social like.
    • The Plugin system is great. I reminds me a lot of vB3's system.

Disadvantages

• Devolopment time is slow because they are volunteers. Most free software has this problem but it's understanding with most of them being students and trying to have a life too. 1.8 was an example.
    • Communication has been an issue for quite some time. I think there needs to be someone who's main task is taking to the end users. Dev's should be writing code, support team supporting and someone a middle level person that has access to staff area to know what's going on and can communicate with end users so we know the status of the software. At one point they were doing very good with keeping us up to date on 2.0's progress and then it slipped back to the unknown.
    • No official mobile theme. I was very disappointed about this when the theme was redone for 1.8, in 2015 mobile friendly is very much needed. I know there are a few that have been released but you have to worry about it not being updated.

These are just my thoughts. Overall I still deploy MyBB more then any other software for my sites because it's still good.

10. euantor

euantor MyBB Lead Developer

+407
    Yeah, we're very aware of this. I've tried to keep communication up, but it's very difficult to find the time to get everything done that needs doing, as well as supporting my plugins and the core. We are now being a lot more open and public about what we're planning and doing though, which is nice.

11. Zmans

Zmans Neophyte

+1
    Advantages:
    Its more simple than PHPBB. I feel that PHPBB is a little complicated as you have to spend some time customizing it. It is great for a big community, but feel alot of people start at a small/medium size these days.

Its free

Great and easy to use plugin system.

Disadvantages:
    I would say that MyBB could use more themes and plugins. You look at PHPBB and they have plenty of mods and themes, but they have been around awhile.

12. marcgo15

marcgo15 Adherent

+109
    I know you have your plate full, that's why I'm suggesting having someone dedicated to communicating. That allows you to focus on your projects and dev time :).

13. euantor

euantor MyBB Lead Developer

+407
    Yeah, we de have a community team with a few members (Tom, Paul and Josh), but a lot of their time is spent dealing with community issues such as reported posts and such. We could probably do with some extra pairs of hands :)

14. LeadCrow

LeadCrow Apocalypse Admin

+2,163
    Having individuals dedicaced to the policy of near-absolute silence is pointless. What they need to do is communicate a lot more.

15. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    And what if that mean getting someone on board to do that?

16. LeadCrow

+2,163
    What prevents the current MyBB crew, who have seen and are overseeing MyBB (v2 included) from sharing those plans directly?

Note I assume a communication head wouldnt be a near-complete outsider barely more informed about MyBB than the average average skinner and forced to rely on premade articles given to him to sign with his name. After all, a rep's existence could be justified if there were progress reports made monthly, on the sitea newsletter and relevant websites for spreading awareness of the effort going into MyBB and ways to help.

17. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+125
    To be honest MyBB has a lot of plugins and themes for the newest MyBB 1.8.

18. palhanow

palhanow Enthusiast

+111
    To be honest, the only 'missing' plugin in my MyBB Forum is like a "paid subscription". The rest, i use some plugins to compensate some "lack" of modern (social) features. In 2.0 they promise us to bring all this, without plugin.

I miss a better WISIWYG Editor. The original editor are a little "heavy" for old machines and a little slow. New editors by plugins are too heavy.

The system are VERY stable, fast, easy to use and easy for the admin. No complains here.

The devs are very restricted about the fact that 'forums are forums and social network are social network' - they dont want to mix the both ideas.

19. Ashley S

Ashley S Adherent

+125
    MyBB needs to bring it self together and think about paid forum softwares what they feature etc.
    If MyBB had a Like system, sidebar and so on I honestly think MyBB would possibly get more users with 2.0 if this happened.

20. LeadCrow

+2,163
    The limiting factor here may be the MyBB developpers. If they personally hate those features, little can be done to make them implement them., even if the whole previously targetted audience walked out on them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.