Advantages and Disadvantages of cPanel

A control panel makes it simple for professional as well as new admins to perform everyday authoritative tasks. Despite the fact that...
By unisecureus · Aug 30, 2018 ·
Rating:
2/5,
  1. unisecureus

unisecureus Aspirant

+2
    unisecureus submitted a new Article:

Advantages and Disadvantages of cPanel

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2018
  2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,512
    Called security through obscurity - and it's not secure. Port scanners can easily find open ports on any server. It's better addressed to resolve issues with ports being hit by a secure (and stout) firewall implementation with any abusing IP's traffic being immediately dropped.

I personally am not a fan of panels - having cut my teeth on DOS back in the day and progressing to OS/2 (more CLI than shell access for the applications I used) and then into Linux.
    The problem I've found with panels is it gives the so-called system administrator a false sense of security and when the poo hits the fan they have absolutely no idea what to do to resolve the issue as there's not a nice little "click here" position for it.

3. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,705
    Like Tracy, I administer my servers from the command line. I know exactly what is being done, where everything is going, and unlike a cpanel, I don't end up with a file structure that deviates from the standard structure the Linux distribution uses (Centos in my case). And if something screws up, its easier to fix. I have regular clients who use panels (because they want them, not because I want them to want them, lol), but they aren't techs, and part of what I do for them is regular checkups to make sure things are secure, stable, etc.

4. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+300
    I do use a panel, Plesk. Though I certainly know what to do from CLI if things go wrong. I use Plesk because 1) It's cheap 2) It's responsive and 3) Easier and quicker for email/FTP/domain setup.

5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,512
    Can't be much easier than an Ubuntu installation with Docker and mailcow-dockerized. ;)

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.37.31 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.38.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 1.38.21 AM.png

6. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+300
    I don't like Docker.

7. davert

davert Enthusiast

+38
    Any thoughts on local-computer-based panels like gopanel?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.