Adsense Ad Balance

Discussion in 'Generating Revenue' started by Shin Ryoku, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Adherent

+212
    I'm definitely seeing a lot less ads on my sites, and so far revenue hasn't dropped noticeably with this setting:

2017-01-06_0817.png

The only downside I see so far is that when ads don't show, there is an unnatural blank space, so it isn't quite as nice as the view with an ad blocker.

2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Fan

+239
    I'm still using 80%.

3. JQP

JQP Dork

+110
    Thanks, Shin RyokuShin Ryoku. I'd never noticed the setting. I tried the 94%-50% setting to see if it made some of the junk ads go away. It didn't. Maybe the "Date Russian women" and "Miracle weight loss" ads pay well? It seems like revenue was down a little from it but it was just one day - and it's January - so it's hard to tell, really, and it's no big loss. The fill rate was 68% so I raised it to 100%-75% to see what tomorrow brings.

Had to share what came up on my dashboard when I checked it right after midnight. LOL. One can dream....

269rpm.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+604
    Can't you put a backup ad that appears if there's no fill? Use that to promote something on your site or your social media.

5. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Adherent

+212
    Not in Adsense. That would be great.

6. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+604
    Yes you can. I just logged in and found it by editing my ads.

You can display ads from a url of your choice. So you make a file called something like backupadsense.html or php (depending on your ad code) and you place that url in there.

Make it the same size ad as your adsense, or if you're using responsive codes, then make the ad at least similar to what would normally appear there.

7. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+647
    i don't see that setting in my adsense heh

8. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Fan

+239
    I think it's available when creating or editing ad unit :D.

9. eva2000

eva2000 Habitué

+647
    hard refresh browser and now see it.. strange ! :)

10. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Adherent

+212
    At first I didn't have Ad balance in my adsense settings, but I could get there via Optimization -> Experiments -> Show fewer ads.

Now it's showing where it should show but errors at times, not letting me access it. Still seems to be early days for that setting.

In the early going I am seeing a lot less ads but underperforming the 94% expectation. Could just be the January effect.

11. syncmaster93

syncmaster93 Neophyte

+0
    I'm thinking of placing it on 50%, but its January and i'm still having a drop in CPC. I'm unsure to put it on 50% because i think my revenue will drop even more. I don't have much expirience in this kind of stuff, so can you provide some information what should I do. Is it smart in this period to put it on 50%?

12. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Adherent

+111
    Any particular reason why one wouldn't want 100%?

13. Shin Ryoku

Shin Ryoku Adherent

+212
    No one can really tell you. It's something which has to be determined through experimentation.

In general, more Adsense ads means worse user experience. If you can get as much money with fewer ads, that is usually going to be good for user experience.

14. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+604
    because if you can earn 95% of your income by only displaying 50% of the ads, then you can display your backup ad the other 50% of the time and potentially earn more income for that ad spot.

a 5% loss while displaying your other ad 50% more than before, without taking up an extra ad spot is good for you and your users.

15. JQP

JQP Dork

+110
    I decided to try a couple experiments. Maybe about 80% of our visitors only look at one forum. Probably a good many of them don't even know we have others, so I dusted off my old "Free Beer!" banner, linked it to "Active Topics" and I'm using that page as my backup. We'll see what happens with that.

I also figured that since we're making more from clicks this month because the CPMs have been so low, that I'd switch one of the ads to text-only. Bad idea. I got nothing but blanks for that size. Apparently it only looks at CPM to determine which ads are the best performers.

16. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Adherent

+111
    Any documentation from Google that documents constraining supply keeps rates up?? Because I've always been under the impression that the highest paying ads always appear first, followed by the next highest

17. JQP

JQP Dork

+110
    I have a feeling this is only Google's way of setting a floor price, except you don't know what the price is and the passback is to you. I don't know any other way of eliminating the "worst performing" ads. If that's the case, it could be pushing your price up, if only just a little.

18. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+604
    Just because someone's willing to pay a higher rate per click, doesn't mean your users will click on them.

You can tell by your stats that the impressions alone barely pay anything. I'd rather have a more appealing ad display, even if it pays less - it will get more clicks and pay more in the long run.

I'm tired of the muslim dating ads when I have like 90% American audience. I get 0 clicks on those ads, so what good are they?

19. GoingRight

GoingRight Participant

+13
    I wonder what the bald demographic of TAZ is?

IMG_5324.jpg

20. pierce

pierce Habitué

+600
    If you set 50% fill and still get 94% of your earnings...

What if your traffic doubles in size? Does that mean you can put it to 25%...

Does that mean you've saturated the ad market for your niche?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted