Administration/Moderation Tips For Newbie?

Fragg

Neophyte
Hello TAZ!

I'm starting up a forum, and this seems like the perfect place for me.

A bit of background:

While I have 0 experience In running a forum, I have tons of experience In SEO and marketing. In fact, I manage the SEO for a couple clients that run forums (I played a big role In them becoming pretty damn successful).

Keyword rankings and traffic will take little effort for me, but actually managing a community Is scary thought for some reason :eek: Any good reading material you suggest? Mainly In the administration/moderation area.

I like the concept of the "Launch Team", but It seems to have died. Would have been nice to have unique people posting when traffic starts rolling In.

Things I have:

Domain - Very niche relevant & brandable, easy to remember, under 10 characters.
Forum Software
Premium Theme - A place holder for now, but the ability for visitors/members to change the colors and background Is a plus.
Automated spam shouldn't be a big Issue for me. Been combating that for years.

-Thanks

Meeko79

Aspirant
Make sure to have something specific or unique that your community can offer. Furthermore, keep the number of forums/categories low until posts start to roll in. You should be posting a lot and have a face in every part of the forum so your users know you and feel comfortable with you. As activity starts to grow you can post a bit less but always be there and show them that from time to time.

Fragg

Neophyte
Make sure to have something specific or unique that your community can offer. Furthermore, keep the number of forums/categories low until posts start to roll in. You should be posting a lot and have a face in every part of the forum so your users know you and feel comfortable with you. As activity starts to grow you can post a bit less but always be there and show them that from time to time.

Thanks for the tips. Any good set of forum/post rules?

darnoldy

Curmudgeon
Fragg

First, you have to remember that your mission is to create a thriving and engaged community. Ad clicks and keyword rankings are the reward for fulfilling your mission—not the reason for the forum's existence.

You'll be happier and more-successful if the forum's topic is one you have a genuine interest in—not just one you have a brandable URL for. Think of the forum you are about to start as a neighborhood bar, where everyone has an interest in common.