A quick warning about Imgur...

Discussion in 'Internet and Technology' started by cheat_master30, Mar 4, 2016.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079
    You probably shouldn't be using free image hosting sites, especially if you have a domain of your own, but you should apparently stay extra clear of Imgur if you do.

Why? Because apparently, they like removing content that the moderators on Reddit don't like, despite being not really associated with Reddit in terms of who runs it. For example;

https://archive.is/iJPek

The image is supposed to be this, which clearly doesn't break any rules anywhere:

redditdemocracy.png

So yeah, stick to other image hosting sites, or better yet, your own servers. Because this one apparently likes to remove content that mildly annoys certain people.

• Informative! Informative! x 2
    • List
  2. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    Thank you for the heads up on this.

3. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,059
    That's the way to do it, provided you do have them/it.

4. Joe.

Joe. Adherent

+207
    I've used imgur for years and never had an image I uploaded deleted. *shrugs*

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  5. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+633
    try harder.

• Meh Meh x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+334
    I use my own image host, been around for nearly 6 years. Plenty of other users too.

7. Joe.

Joe. Adherent

+207
    It's not a goal of mine. :p

But I don't really care about the images I upload there, I usually use it to insert an image into a post on forums where attachments aren't allowed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+633
    If anything, it may bring you in a few extra clicks if you ever trend on their homepage.

9. Amaury

Amaury Habitué

+414
    Ever since I learned that images, such as for avatars, can be cropped and re-sized with Paint, I haven't really used Imgur at all. (Although I originally started with Photobucket, but its restrictions in something--I can't remember what--made me look for another place.) Regardless, I never had issues with them.

10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,698
    I ban image upload sites
    chk_jschl.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Digital Phoenix

Digital Phoenix Coffee Ninja

+1,285
    I stole the image, sorrynotsorry :ROFLMAO:

12. Drastic

Drastic Habitué

+633
    You know, with SonnB and XFMG - why not set up your own little side site dedicated to hosting photos. Maybe it takes off. Maybe it doesn't. At least you have a huge collection of photos to use.

I know some will say "why not just add them to your own site" - which works perfect every time too. But WHAT IF your little side project took off and ended up as big as Imgur? Hmmmmmm....enough marketing and you can be the next big picture host.

Just don't delete your own sh*t!! LOL

13. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+334
    or just use an image hosting script like I do at gfxf.net
    /shameless plug

14. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Opinionated asshat

+3,594
    Or coppermine gallery.

15. Senpie

Senpie Aspirant

+7
    Thanks for the heads up. :)

16. Alex.

Alex. The Ancient Dragon

+1,197
    Hmm. Imgur doesn't remove images unless they get a delete order which is incredibly simple. I'm often surprised why it doesn't get abused. It's very easy to request a delete for any image and it be deleted within six to eight hours. Regardless of whether it was you or someone else who uploaded the image.

I liked Imgur in the past because it was very easy to use. It's gotten more complex since. It was a refreshing change coming from a loyal Imageshack user.

LOL. I just experienced a flashback to good times!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.