• List
  2. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    Holding for Q&A

3. Madi

Madi Espresso King

+47
    Thank you for the information. I am currently testing the ipb 4.0 but its not yet ready to go live. By what you said, does it mean like I can install IPS 4.0 like 3 times (2 on live server and one on localhost)? Thank you.

4. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    You can have 2 on a live server, however one of those must not be accessible to the general public, and you also use the test install option.

I hope this helps :) if this is still not clear let of know and I will come up with something :)

5. Madi

Madi Espresso King

+47
    Yes I got you know thank you. I don't just bother myself with testing my software on a live server, localhost just does it fine for me, at least for now you know.

6. Liam W

Liam W Coder/Designer

+56
    What about custom tld localhosts? For example, I use xenforo13.com and xenissue as domains for 127.0.0.1 in my hosts file. (I also use liam but not for forum development) - would IPS deny this system?

If so, that isn't very fair at all. Remind me never to get an IPB license.

7. Azareal

Azareal The AtomBB Overlord

+471
    I doubt it, as it probably tells whether it's localhost or not via the domain.
    What's the problem with using localhost as the domain?

8. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    As Azareal said, that wouldn't be possible as I would expect the system to check against the domain name and not IP address. Having said that, you bring up a good point, and I will pass that on as feedback :) If IPS decides to do something is a different set of ball games.

9. Madi

Madi Espresso King

+47
    Something worth noting is that if you wanted to test IPB 4.0 on localhost, the license will give you the "already in use" error if you already have a URL attached to your license key (regardless if its on 3.x or 4.x)

I contacted the support and told them about the issue, they reset the license URL for free and they told me in case I wanted to test IPB 4.0 on a localhost, I should add "-TESTINSTALL" to the end of my license key.

Like when you are on the installation page and it asks for a license, enter your license like the following 123456-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxx-TESTINSTALL so that it will not get attached to your client account URL.

10. Danielx64

Danielx64 Developer

+1,395
    While I did say that you need to use the test install option, I will update my post to make it clearer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.