A Perfect Example of Why Context Matters in Community Management...

Discussion in 'Managing an Online Community' started by cheat_master30, Aug 24, 2019.

1. cheat_master30

cheat_master30 Moderator

+1,079

Since for those who didn't watch the video, there's a clear difference between someone posting another person's personal info on a forum because they want to dox them or what not and a grieving friend/family member talking about their recently deceased loved one and how they enjoying playing a company's games.

However, someone at Blizzard clearly missed the memo, and ended up permanently banning a grieving mother for posting about her recently deceased son's love of World of Warcraft, as well as deleting the topic about it. This led to a bit of a mini PR disaster for the company, and while it was fixed, got them a ton of bad press that they could have easily gone without.

So if you run a forum, learn from this. Don't just assume that anyone posting 'personal info' is a troll out to ruin someone's life, and take the context behind a post/thread into consideration as well. Otherwise you'll end up making stupid mistakes like this one.

• Informative! Informative! x 3
    • List
  2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,121
    This is because the community managers do not read or listen at Blizzard, once it was a really great company but it grew to become a monster. World of Warcraft was a light for me in 2005.

3. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,240
    What the hell? What a waste of 7 minutes.

One of the biggest companies in the field, supporting one of the biggest games in the genre, made a simple mistake that it fixed... Quickly.

This warrants a "mini PR disaster"?
    This needed an overly dramatized, attention seeking YouTube whine about corporate profits?

Are we really so bored that we need to seek out drama this desperately?
    Are we really this ready to pounce on the slightest hint of mistake?

What?!?!

How about praising a company with 10,000 employees and $18 billion in assets for taking the time to make things right, so quickly, for 1 mother posting about 1 son...

Nah... Then we couldn't make dramatic YouTube videos and threads like this... Where's the fun in that???

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,450
    It's good to read an alternative view. It helps put things into perspective :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  5. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,240
    Always assume positive intent.

If you look for the negative, you'll always find it.

I remind my kids of this nearly every day.

6. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Administrator

+2,279
    Ha
    Totally agree! People make mistakes, sometimes big mistakes. What ultimately matters is how the company handles a mistake.

7. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,240
    I've said it 1000 times, many right here on TAZ - stick with the companies who handle mistakes well.
    If you go looking for flawless companies, I have a spoiler:
    There are none.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  8. R0binHood

R0binHood Habitué

+1,033
    Yeah, not a massive deal, but still an unfortunate mistake that likely caused far more heartache than most mistakes when it comes to poor moderator decisions.

It was also a pretty easily avoidable mistake though, if the person who banned her took a few moments to consider the context of the situation and used a bit of discretion before banning the mother it could have gone another way.

There could be some other influences here that might need addressing, one that the community is so big and so busy it was a rushed decision by an overworked mod, saw the violation and was like, whatever, rules broke = ban and moved onto the next report without bothering to digest all the information.

Or perhaps that some mods don't have the discretion to make excecptions to the rules. Which I see in many businesses these days. The lager the company, the less autonomy and discretion many employees have to make exceptions to rules when the given rule system wouldn't make sense to be applied stictly to the situation presented, yet they feel their hands are tied and it creates incredibly frustrating situations and decisions for the user/customer that might not be resolved without talking to a manager or some kind of backlash.

9. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,240
    This was my assumption from the beginning.

Likely very accurate, as is necessary. The bigger the company, the more rails you have to put in place.

You can't have hundreds of moderators using discretion on a daily basis. It just doesn't work. You end up with hundreds of different policies enforced and a far more confusing customer experience.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.