A new forum script is coming.....

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by ChrisTERiS, Apr 23, 2015.

1. euantor

euantor MyBB Lead Developer

+407
    To be fair, most of those complaints are from people wanting to start a forum in 5 minutes and expecting it to succeed. They have a Docker image available which makes installation fairly easy if you have even a slight inkling about what you're doing: https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker

2. davemacc

davemacc Fan

+389
    I'll definitely be interested in being a beta tester for this.
    From the details your giving I think I have a project that it will suit quite well.:tup:

3. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+306
    I have 2 questions, if it is ok.

1. Your software, what is it going to do better than Facebook?
    2. Your software, what is it going to do better than forums?

I haven't understood the idea so far. What is the difference-maker here? Like something you will do better than others?

4. Shristy Chandran

Shristy Chandran Aspirant

+0
    Excellent, this is exactly what i was looking for since last 2 years. For sure, i would be checking out this once you have a demo ready. What is the timeline that we are looking at ?

5. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    sbjsbj
    Never said that it will be better than Facebook or better than big brands in Forums.
    The only that I said is that it will has the easy of use of Facebook combined with the power of forums.
    I'm not coding another Facebook clone, but on the same way I'm not coding one more forum script.
    Something in the middle..... You can call it community script or portal.

6. ozzy47

ozzy47 Tazmanian Veteran

+4,328
    Middle of May.

7. Shristy Chandran

Shristy Chandran Aspirant

+0
    I can see large group of people complaining / whining on this thread. For a fact, i have large number of groups on facebook and very active which i wanted to convert into our own forum for better flexibility and community management, but it never really takes off. Purely because, all of them are so accustomed to FB that it is just impossible to lure them away until and unless it does everything that FB does. This may not be true for specific niches, but the niche i am in, it is just that way.

8. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+306
    I didn't say that you said it will be better than Facebook or forums.

My question was, what is the "thing" which will be your difference-maker?
    You say something in the middle, and it will be a hybrid between Facebook and forums, but WHAT exactly this is, I still don't know.
    Your explanations are very vague and with no substance. Don't get me wrong, I think you planned something obviously and you are working on it, just personally I haven't understood HOW it will be different.

9. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    That's my problem and I know it very well. My level in English is not that deep to explain such things. Only by testing the real script will be understandable. But as I understood what are you trying to say, let me give you some examples as a try to make it more understandable.
    1. Think about Facebook. You've a list of posts with comments below each post. You'll have the same but in addition you'll have categories to seperate post by category. Also you'll have more post types. eg Reviews.... or Polls... or Classifieds etc etc.
    2. The editor should focus in content and not in content appearance. So like FB, Twitter, even SMS, you'll not have text formatting. But you'll have Ajax multi uploader for photos, you'll have Event calendar, you'll have link submission (with extraction of data from website), you'll have tag selection, you'll have Audio and YouTube link submission.
    3. But unlike FB should be usergroups and usergroup permissions so you can set who can post and what post type he can post.
    4. Filter content. Maybe this is the most important. With just a few (or even one) click(s) you can reduce the listing to show only data that you want. eg Checking Events will shows all events, checking Polls you'll see only Events and Posts .... etc...
    That's some of the features. Sorry that I'm not able to make it more understandable. But it will be really different. You'll love it or you'll hate it. No avearge way. And trying to give an example. Think about Tripadvisor.com. Even if it's for Travel only, it's still a community. Is it a forum? No. It is a Facebook clone? No. But is a portal, it is a community.

10. sbjsbj

sbjsbj Fan

+306
    Thanks. I think I know now what direction you are going.

11. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    You see that there are so many things that I'm forgetting important ones. eg I forgot to say that unlike Facebook and like Forums each Post (Post = Thread) it will has it own page. In Facebook there is nothing like this.

12. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+360
    If the current forum software no longer supports my community needs, do I let this loyalty kill my community?

I have been a loyal user of VB since VB2 was released. I upgraded my forums from VB2 to VB3 and bought VB4, but due to heavy customizations, I never upgraded to VB4. Now that VB4 is no longer receiving new features and VB5 is a very poor forum script what am I to do? Hope for VB6?

I care about my communities and my only option is to migrate away from VB.

13. Jack_Rouse

Jack_Rouse Use The Force

+162
    Well if you are bored one day, and you check back , you will find I supported you in your "disagreement" with DBT, I also used a number of your MODs when I was using VB4, you were very helpful in altering the reviews MOD so that I could use it on my football forum.

14. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and everyone elses as well. You say English is not your first language, but I think you've done quite an admirable job communicating what your script is about! And yes - I meant how do you plan on making a profit from such an open source script. A revenue stream is definitely needed, as I know you wouldn't spend such an amount of time coding a brandnew script, without some way of recouping your invested time...

I'll be staying tuned to this thread, as I'd like to (perhaps?) beta test the software once you get it to that stage. Exciting stuff Christos Teriakis!

J.

15. Stratos

Stratos Participant

+31
    I wish you success (Καλη επιτυχια), it sounds very good, and little strange.

16. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    Thank you very much for your supporting words (Σ' ευχαριστώ πολύ πατρίδα).

17. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    You can see a preview of user profile at http://www.forobook.com/profile/
    Please note that for demostration purposes the "Edit Avatar" and "Edit Header" are available but without updating the database. Just to see how upload, manual croping, rotate (if you want it) are working.

I'm thinking to add a sidebar in the Overview tab to show user's feeds from Facebook and/or Twitter.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  18. IntoxNitram

IntoxNitram Enthusiast

+73
    Looks pretty good so far! So your more of a general script that a forum? There will be easy options to add a gallery, article base etc? I think this looks interesting and could work pretty well for a project idea I have coming up. I shall keep an eye on this project!

19. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    THF_Martin
    As I've wrote in a previous post, should be different post types:
    • Article
    • Topic (Discussion)
    • Ask a Question
    • Poll
    • Review
    • Classifieds
    • Media (Album, Audio, YouTUBE).
    Even if the preview of the editor (which will be globally available in all pages) is not finished (eg should be a switch Active/Draft on the left of the Post button), you can check it at: http://www.christeris.net/mobiforo/

Not all buttons are working yet, but you can try the Ajax multi uploader clicking the camera icon, and some others. For the main photo I'll use the script that you seen in user's profile page as I want the user to has the manual croping feature available.

20. IntoxNitram

IntoxNitram Enthusiast

+73
    Could be very, very useful for my project indeed. Definitely interested to see how this will develop, if it seems promising in terms of its future then I will definitely consider using it for my new project.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.