A new forum script is coming.....

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by ChrisTERiS, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    Hello all,

Being around my 60th bithday, and after 31 years in coding, I decided to end my career with something that I've worked a lot last 8 years. Forum and Forum AddOns. This means that my last script will be a Forum script with my most favorite addons for vBulletin.

First of all to make something clear. It will not a forum like vBulletin, or xenForo, or IPB and other big names. I'm not targeting to "big boards". My market should be the average webmaster, mostly the hobbist webmaster who is looking for something easy to use, with a nice interface, with most common addons included.

What I count as "plus" in my forum.
    1. There is no other forum (really none) which works on the way that my forum will works. It will has a totally different way in use than other forums, mostly closing to Facebook.
    2. Should combine the easy of use of Facebook with the power of a forum script (eg usergroup permissions).
    3. Will use responsive design, based on Bootstrap 3 framework
    4. One version will works fine in web, mobiles and as Facebook tab application
    5. Will uses Smarty templating engine for seperating code from design and easy in customization.
    6. Will uses PDO for easy database manipulation.
    7. Ajax Search form available globally in a hidden sidepanel. Really great features if you test it live when my demo installation will be ready.
    As I'm not good in writting, especially listing features, you can give a look in the page outlook. This means that header and footer. Content is not available yet. You can try the different links, you can try to access it from a mobile. Just keep in mind that:
    1. For testing purposes the Login multi form is attached to Logout icon.
    2. You can test the 2 types of submenus (Mega menu and normal) by clicking Articles and Discuss.
    Here is the link for the preview: http://www.forobook.com/

I'll appreciate your comments
    Christos

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative! Informative! x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  2. Jacob

Jacob Aspirant

+17
    Um at first glance, it reminds me a lot of a mix of WBB/Xenforo with some Vbulletin5 elements to it. I may need to see this in actual use but I literally can't see anything brand new personally. But it does look nice.

3. Justin

Justin *Insert witty title here*

+781
    What's going to convince people to use your software? It looks like a modified of Xen"foro" -nice play on words there...

I just don't think the included add-on idea is worth leaving a software like XF over, personally.

4. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    Jacob
    Daroldi
    First of all thank you for your time to post your comments. As a reply:
    1.- "Foro"book which reminded you something about xenForo, is just a domain that I had available for testing purposes. Neighter the site or the name will has something about "foro". Actually I'll use a Greek name for it.
    2.- I wrote (but ofcourse I can't give more details now), that my forum will not use the normal way of use like other forums. It will includes many types of different content but not as you can see them in the top menu.
    3.- As for the mix of interface, what's bad? All that I seen (WBB, xenForo, vB5, IPB and maybe other brands) are using almost the same interface. At least by 80%. Be sure that the end product should has so many unique features that you'll forget the "same styling".

The preview is just for preview. To test it how is working, if it's 100% responsive or not, how the modal windows are working etc.

5. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    I don't expect someone to leave xF for my forum. And not any other big name. My market is different. I'm not focusing to those who want a FORUM, but to those who want a more forum-like Facebook. Sorry can't say more at this moment.

6. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    Because we all know that XenForo coined and owns the rights to the word "Foro"... :rolleyes:

7. Justin

+781
    So it's not as much a forum script as its a social media site with forum like add-ons?
    Was focusing more on the originality of it.

8. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    Only the fact that all 3 posts till now stucked to the "foro" (really why not to "book") and not to something else important (eg Google does brings errors checking if it's rensponsive or not), means that I'm in good way.

Once more. "Foro" exists only in the demo. Should not be any "foro" or "face" or "book" or "bulletin" in the final product. Simple because I'll use a Greek word.

9. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Politically Incorrect

+2,806
    phpBB, myBB, UseBB, UBB, FluxBB, PunBB, NodeBB.

Originality has never really been forum software's thing. :D

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    If you can imagine a combination of any Forum and Facebook, but in such a way that nobody can say "This is a Facebook clone" or "This is another Forum script", then you're in the right way.

To make it more mysterious, I can guarantee that there is none other script in the market working on the way that my "forum" will works. Guarantee. I checked all script listing sites, I wasted 3 days in Envato. None exists.

11. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,473
    Isn't that what s.molinari says about Skoopa :) How many different ways can a "forum" work?

• Also Wondering! Also Wondering! x 1
    • List
  12. Justin

+781
    I see it now. ForoBook VS Skooppa ...:jedi:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Robust

Robust Developer

+663
    Interesting mockup/demo. All I can advise is to be more different than the average forum. Overall everything looks the same. I guess I can't criticise your idea but if it's a social forum (social media + forum great play with words too ;)) I wouldn't have a separate gallery etc. IM is also going to be quite a big thing, so notifications.

You're going to have to be very careful on how to play this, but I think it's not too bad of an idea. But I don't see, yet, how you can incorporate the two in a fair way and provide the best aspects they have to offer while being innovative and scrapping the same thing we've been doing since [insert very old forum software here].

14. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    I'll say only what a friend told me. There are 2 only ways for your script.

1.- Nobody will uses it
    2.- You did the next revolution after Facebook.

I admit it. The way that is working is strange. So the users will hate or they'll love it.

15. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    No. Be sure that it will not has a seperate Gallery. As it will not has seperate Classifieds, or seperate Reviews. But should has Media, should has Classifieds, should has Reviews. Mystery :)

16. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    Really I don't know what Skoopa is.

17. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    And I forgot to say......... Maybe important? We're talking for a FREE script.

18. Robust

Robust Developer

+663
    1. 99.9999999%
    2. 0.00000001%

The odds of me seeing a camel walk into my house from Egypt in less than 10 seconds are probably higher than the next revolution after Facebook being anytime soon. It'll definitely happen, but I don't think this kind of thinking will be it. You need to specifically target the market and look at kids (yeah under 13s are on Facebook (clap)), teens, young adults, then older adults. Pick links, pick differences. What do they all enjoy? Taking the idea of how much kids love pictures and selfies, Snapchat was invented. How popular? I have to say not only kids use it, it's popular all the way up to pretty young adults. I personally hate it but that's irrelevant, it's popular. It's also used for more... adult pictures, since people think the idea of them being destroyed is actually a thing, but again I'm branching off. Instagram played on the same idea, minus the destroying part. It's really no different to Facebook in terms of its features, so personally I guess innovation isn't exactly key, it's just picking out points and expanding on them. Didn't Instagram get bought by Facebook too? LOL.

If you want to be the next revolution after Facebook, you need to think, will the average boy or girl want to be using my software? Will they want to register on a forum and have cool discussions about whatever the hell the forum webmaster wants? Forums are pretty cool but they are very specific. And general discussion forums are the most stupid idea in the long run since riding a camel along a sea. The simplicity of Facebook and the way it connects people is why it's so popular, and it's why Zuckenburg is so rich at a young age. If I were you, I'd get a whiteboard put up, a pinboard, and get Evernote and start picking out anything you can. It'll increase your chances of finding that key point. But even if you have that fantastic idea, it's how you sell it, and even more so, it's how lucky you are. Some people have great ideas and do everything they can, but it just doesn't work. Some things just don't play out, and some people just get lucky with bad ideas. The world works in mysterious ways.

19. Robust

Robust Developer

+663
    You're probably thinking of some kind of news feed of people you follow. And if you weren't I just gave away not too bad of an idea. As well as news feeds in groups. That could end up being cluttered though. How long until we see something functional?

20. ChrisTERiS

ChrisTERiS Developer

+349
    Why all people you use to stuck in the words and you don't let your imagination to work? Others stucked on the "foro" word. You stucked on the "Facebook". Sure it will not has the success of Facebook. On the same way that that "None will use" is outstanding. As it will be free, be sure that some thousands will use it.

My friend used those 2 words just to make it more clear, that the way that it will works has no average way. And she used those 2 words to give more emphasis.

And no, it will not be a news feeds. There are 100's of them out there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.