A forum with visitors only

Discussion in 'Community Organization' started by DanielGarneau, Sep 21, 2016.

1. DanielGarneau

DanielGarneau Enthusiast

+36
    I launched a forum in May 2016, and I am still building it up with what I consider to be quality contents. I know from Google Analytics that I have visitors every month, but it is quite difficult to have anyone joining the forum and posting new threads or responding to existing threads.

Of course I would like to have people joining the forum, but I came to realize that my posting on the forum seems to encourage users to visit the main site, so in and of itself, it is useful for that purpose. Also, I found that the forum provides me with a more flexible means of publishing contents that don't fit the main site's structure, thus helping me to round-up as it were my content offer.

Would anyone care to share any insight from your own experience or from the experience of others you might know of?

2. LordOfSpoon

LordOfSpoon I Am Spoon!

+54
    DanielGarneauDanielGarneau A lot of your visitors will consist of spam. You will have a high bounce rate. If we are talking about the forum in your signature then the design is clean and simple which is straight to the point. If you are mainly advertising your .ca domain rather than your .ca/forum then almost all of your traffic is going to the main site where people are not noticing the forum link on your navigation bar.

I'm the developer of a large forum in which we currently have our forums on a /forum rather than at the main domain. We are acquiring signups but not as many as we would like. To combat this we have made the decision to remove the main Wordpress site and place the forum on the main domain to gain maximum exposure.

Now we do advertise the forums very well however from feedback on those who signup and come from the main site, they say it was hard to find the forums even though we have a fairly large (very large) image pointing to our forums. Thus we made the decision to move. My advise as your forum appears to be a discussion forums over Christianity, would be to advertise at local churches. Start a Facebook group/account and point traffic to your site. Send newsletters to your current members with daily/weekly prayers or new about local churches. There is a lot of way your can advertise your content.

Best of luck! - LoS

3. DanielGarneau

DanielGarneau Enthusiast

+36
    Hello LordOfSpoonLordOfSpoon, yes my forum is the one included with my TAZ signature. I advertize both the site and the forum, the site being structured around more specific themes than the forum. I get a number of new visitors per month that stay for from 5 to 30 minutes both on the site and on the forum. They are not many, but they come from a large number of countries. There also are a lot of visitors that are staying between 0 to 1 minutes. I tend to not consider those at all.

I am present and active on Twitter, FaceBook, Google+, LinkedIn, and Tumbler (in that order). Whenever I publish a new post on my forum, I generally publish on most of these platforms with a link back to the forum. This seems to gain some exposure to the forum.

However, I have not yet began using local church web sites, local church newsletters or local church social media accounts.

Before I ran my own forum, I was involved on Christian Discussion Board and referring to my site there whenever it seemed appropriate to do so, but since I have my own forum, I avoid any action that would reroute traffic from their forum to mine. I still participate, but I don't invite users of these forums to my own forum.

What I find difficult is that very few people are actually joining my forum to take part in the discussions.

Thank you LordOfSpoonLordOfSpoon for your input.

4. LordOfSpoon

LordOfSpoon I Am Spoon!

+54
    DanielGarneauDanielGarneau Sure no problems! Being placed on local church websites and getting shout outs on their social media accounts could do wonders for you.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted