92% of my users prefer IPS over Xenforo

Discussion in 'IPS' started by ibaker, Feb 10, 2019 at 6:57 PM.

1. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+156
    As many will know I recently moved my main site Recreational Flying from Xenforo v2 to IPS. It is 3 months later so I created a poll and it is showing that 92% of the users prefer IPS instead of Xenforo. I had a lot of trouble trying to move across to IPS once before with the users kicking up a stink and eventually went back to XF but this time 3 months on they have got use to it and prefer IPS.

Also in the poll (IPS can have multiple polls i.e. questions, in the one poll) is the user preference of having more than just a forum which is showing a 60% preference to having different sections than just forums thus 40% just come to the site for the forums.

The 3rd question in the poll is whether there is enough options for them to use the site the way they want and that is showing 100% that there is.

Moving across to IPS has been the best move and proven by the users themselves as they are preferring IPS over Xenforo

• Informative! Informative! x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Kevin

Kevin Oooh, something shiny!

+1,126
    Considering you put effort into making your IPS site look like XF, and that you weren't even running XF2 for long before jumping ship again, and that most actual end users likely don't care about "XF" or "IPS", I don't think that your poll results is really telling you much other than that your users like having some stability to the site because there isn't much actual data to extrapolate an actual statistical conclusion. If anything, the fact that you didn't get a 100% result would give me pause because it means 8% of your users aren't happy with the site as it is now.

"Hey, guys, remember when I kept changing things all around? Do you prefer the site then or how it is now?"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+156
    Well Kevin, it is so easy to make a statement like that without all the full history, the discussions with users, without all the facts and intimate knowledge of them plus not seeing even 1 private message etc etc etc, it is really funny how people can make statements about other people's sites pretending they know it all...it becomes a waste of effort on the mouse scroll wheel and bandwidth with the notification email

4. Kevin

+1,126
    Kind of like how people are obsessed with the software that they've chosen to leave behind (well, sort of left behind in your case). You and another person here on TAZ are obsessed with XF after supposedly leaving it but you're guys aren't alone, there are plenty of XF users who are obsessed with vB years after they've stopped using it. After some period you just have to come to grips that it's time to move on.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Banxix

Banxix Enthusiast

+53
    They want to, in some ways, prove that their decision (left a software) is right by rejecting the old software. That, to me, is not making sense. They enjoy their new platform which is great, but often see a thread like this throwing trash to the old software. At least make constructive topic of why and which features that you think IPS is better.

6. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+156
    Done that before https://theadminzone.com/threads/changing-from-xf-to-ipb.147310/page-2#post-1117762 but you obviously don't know that as well but chose to play the man and antagonise

Again people have no idea...why would I trash software that I am using, YES I have other sites that are using XF and in fact there are links in my IPS site that users go to for their Off Topic posts which is one of my XF sites https://www.whatsupaustralia.com.au/ come on guys stop making unfounded stupid comments based on absolutely no information as you are only showing you know nothing at all...you don't have the whole picture but make it look like you know it all. You also know nothing about the work I am currently doing to enhance an XF site I have...or then again you have no idea what is going on in my mind about what I am considering for the future...no you just come out and say I am trashing something.

I posted to simply say that after my failed attempt to get users to IPS, this time it has worked with most of them saying they prefer IPS yet you guys are going all over the place saying I am trashing software even though I am still using it etc etc etc ...some pretty silly comments on a something that you really know nothing about

7. Kevin

+1,126
    Your troubles with upgrading that site has been pretty public, mostly thanks to your own postings, so you'd be surprised just how many "have an idea". The only "silly" part is you trying to deflect some bad decisions on to others when your own actions are pointed out. It's good that you found a platform that works for you, it really is, but the journey to how you get there was avoidable and if the circumstances were different your migration would've made for a good case study for switching platforms. But, really, at this point any poll poll *should* be amazingly favorable.

But, hey, yeah, it must be our fault that we don't share your enthusiasm for skewered conclusions.

8. truthingtotruth

truthingtotruth Aspirant

+22
    Something caught my attention and I have tried a number of ways to use the search tool here and I simply can't seem to find where there are case study threads for others to learn from.

What was that that got me to thinking?

" ... a good case study for switching platforms ..." - - - Isn't there something set up for that in this community?

By the way, them barbs you folks are throwing at each other might sting. You really want to be doing that? Sorry, it just makes me kind of sad when I get surprised by that stuff. I know it happens, but it is unpleasant.

9. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    That sounds interesting, got any vids/gifs/links to how that works?

Got the results of the other polls?

This is an interesting one. What content and features have you added to the site in addition to the forums that you've manage to build with the IPS features?

Have you asked them what specifically they prefer about it?

Is it the text editor, is the the reading mode/style, the gallery, clubs, calendar, the reactions, notification system, video upload, general UI, profile pages, activity streams etc.

Pleased to hear your users are settling into their new home finally!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 5:11 AM
  10. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+1,958
    https://www.recreationalflying.com/topic/66801-are-you-happy/ For the poll looks nice. Visit his site he added bar to the left where you can browse.

11. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    I found the multiple polls, that's actually really cool!

upload_2019-2-11_10-12-30.png

Site is looking much better, glad to see the What's New link back. Your floating side menu is pretty usable too.

I really don't get why these banners look so fuzzy on my high dpi screen though, are these built into IPS or did you upload them?

upload_2019-2-11_10-13-26.png

I see the same on the official IPS forum and it looks awful. Not sure why these aren't html and css instead of images these days, or at least high dpi images.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 5:35 AM
  12. R0binHood

R0binHood Fan

+687
    I had to laugh at this:

Hmm, that's a weird bug with the IPS editor....

Ohhhh....that makes more sense....:facepalm:

:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
    • List
  13. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+4,934
    I agree, that's a function I'd like to have on my sites.

14. Ingenious

Ingenious Fan

+186
    Thanks for the feedback on your switchover ibakeribaker - always good to read about experiences from one platform to another.

15. TheChiro

TheChiro Devotee

+741
    A larger sample size would be more meaningful, imo. Interesting results though. Did you have a front page and multiple other functional pages that you have (or sounds like you have) with IPS?

Things like this should be more scientific. If you just ran XF and nothing else, then all of a sudden you have IPS, the whole kit and kaboodle, and have all these new features that users have been wanting...of course they are going to be picking IPS. What features do they like more on IPS compared to XF? I run 2 xf boards and an IPS board. I'm not a fan of IPS. Especially the ACP. Either way, would be nice to know WHY they picked IPS over XF. Might be useful for all of us, especially if it's a design aspect that is more appealing to the regular user as opposed to an administrator.

16. Joel R

Joel R Fan

+587
    Congratulations ibakeribaker on the move and the positive feedback that you got from your users. It's a nice affirmation that you made the right move and things are going well.

I just ran my own community survey. One thing I noticed is that the first 12 responses were significantly different from the next 200 responses. Usually the first X users are going to be your power users who spend the most time and are most familiar. You should send out a bulk mail and season the poll longer to get a broader sampling size.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Devotee

+1,991
    I'm happy to see the majority users who responded to your poll, regardless of which platform you were on and which you're on now, are happy with it. Ultimately that's what matters the most if growth, interaction and overall posting experience upward trends due to any changes.

Audiences preferences can differ. It is amazing how often two different communities make the same exact migration, say from VB to XF, or VB to IPS. One audience might love it, the other might hate it. I'm guessing it depends on quite a bit on what they use the most across the Internet, and how receptive or resistant any particular site's overall demographics are to change.

I do agree that it might be too early to tell, based on the sample size, but I'm not going to agree or disagree with the move --- if long term your users are happy, then you made the right decision. Time will tell.

18. ibaker

ibaker Enthusiast

+156
    The site has been running for some 18 years now. It started with my own developed html front end to a JET backend but quickly outgrew that. Looking at going from JET to SQLServer I decided I didn't want to develop that so I went for a COTS solution MegaBB but also quickly outgrew that and went for another. That didn't really serve my long term objective so went to vBulletin v3 and then ended up going live with XF even before official release. XF v1 was very good and gave me the scope to twist it into something that was great however all I seem to do was wait wait wait for something even greater to happen with XF but that just hasn't happened even today. I became so frustrated with it especially the attitude in their forums...I found myself becoming a very nasty person living in that culture. XF v2 came out and still nothing great for a person like me and what I need and in fact it was made even harder for me to be able to create a completely unique resource for my users other than just a forum which facebook provides a better solution for especially its ease of quick use at absolutely no cost...it basically caters to discussions, photos, videos and much more whilst you are in the same place with your other friends and family.

To beat this a full and comprehensive resource on your specific subject is needed and again XF has not been able to see that. The addons in v1 were very helpful but the big addons are not there with v2 and those few that are, are very buggy or lack the features of the ones on IPS. My users on a daily basis use IPS on the main site and click over to the Off Topic site that uses XF v2 so they see both and thus can judge on both. When first moving to IPS there was an outcry on IPS as, and as previously mentioned, my user base is of the very much older generation who are not really into change and they couldn't really see the benefits of IPS. So I went back to XF however the poisonous culture in the XF forums and the continual trolling of XF users plus I could see all the greater benefits of IPS I decided to give it another try. This time I did it a bit different and more specifically I engaged an IPS developer who has been great to help the users and do any little tinkering that was needed to satisfy the users. For example I developed the side menu system in XF so to keep that the same Ahmed, the developer, created one for IPS...the users absolutely love it...the same for some other things on the site.

In XF v1 I had a home page, news reader, calendar, media, resources, aircraft lists, classifieds etc...in XF v2 there was only half of them, in IPS I have and can create not only those that I had in XF v1 but so many many more using their database system. The best thing I had in vBulletin was vbDynamics that allowed my to have a full web site and not a facebook competitor like XF is. I kept telling XF this and along with many other things were just ignored or attacked...perfect example is a recent post I added to XF forums TO HELP other users of having the ACP log out at the top and pagination in the ACP...talk about a full frontal poisonous attack on me when I was just trying to help others...anyway I digress.

I believe XF should have spent more time creating something like the IPS database system in XF v2 than the many many little things that help developers first. That way they could have got the extra income and release all the other little things bit by bit. I may have stayed with XF along with the many others I now know about that have made the move away from XF. In fact yet another XF owner sent me an email just late lat week about helping him to migrate away from XF to IPS.

When all said and done IPS is a far more superior solution although with the caveat that XF does do some things simpler but it is a simpler solution. In the end my users are the best judge as not only in the polls but also in new user registrations, PMs, emails to me and comments to me when out and about in my industry

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. fixer

fixer I'm In My Prime

+747
    BUMMER! only 92% i figured this would be much higher

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. John H20

John H20 Neophyte

+0
    So that column of menu links on the left has to be a custom job with IPS? I like the idea of having something like that even if not exactly the same. Something like that can't just be activated by anyone with the standard installation of IPS?

What don't you like about the ACP? What else don't you like about IPS?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.