50 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bluefish, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Bluefish

Bluefish Aspirant

+14
    I was listening to a report on the 50th anniversary of the time man first set foot on the moon. The announcer stated "most people living today were not yet born when this occurred." I was almost 9 years old when Neil Armstrong plopped his space suited foot on the surface of the moon and forever changed history. Just curious how many members were or were not around then.

2. Lisa

Lisa Chaotically Proportional

+8,475
    I wasn't born. Missed it by four years.

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,121
    I am from 1973 so i missed it by years 4 years to.

4. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,326
    EDIT: Hmmm... Don't want to age myself bahahaha. Um... But yeah. A bit before my time...

Amazing though really. I'm totally into sci-fi and watched a documentary recently that stated the guy who designed the rocket for the moon landing actually designed it to be powerful enough to reach Mars; the idea was that the moon landing was only the initial step, with the final destination the red planet. But inevitably .... politics. And I'm like wow. 50 years and with the boom in technologies ... Whatever happened to the dream of further exploration of our solar system and beyond?...

IDK if anyone would be interested - but there's a great series from the National Geographic which takes today's NASA science and blends it with 'what-if' 2033 sees humanity attempting to colonize Mars. Riveting series for fans of science fiction and those interested in the actual history and current activities of NASA!

J.

5. MarkFL

MarkFL La Villa Strangiato

+1,844
    I was 5 years old, getting ready to attend kindergarten in the upcomng fall. But, I vividly remember all the adults crowded around my grandparents' TV set and all the excitement and the cheers that went up and all the hugging, etc. The future looked a great deal brighter back then. :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • List
  6. cornnfedd

cornnfedd Captain Futurama

+250
    Must admit I am a scf-fi junkie as well, attempting to watch through the latest Star Trek again, first time only got to Episode 3 then turned it off, am watching it again with an open mind (ignore the obvious social justice push and cannon breaking story lines) and must admit I am enjoying it a lot more this time, nearly finished season 1.

The Expanse - great scf-fi tv show, amazon and going to be developing the next series (hopefully)

Back to topic, I was saying to someone the other day, it is amazing with all the technology we have no days that man has not gone back to the moon yet... kind of strikes me as strange in a way why we dont have an urge to explore space yet...

7. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,080
    I remember watching it. We were at the cottage for the summer where the reception was poor, so we all sat around straining our eyes at the fuzzy b&w images and getting excited.

8. Nev_Dull

Nev_Dull Anachronism

+1,080
    Progress is a funny thing. It's a lot more difficult to go to the moon with today's technology. Back in the analogue days of breakers, relays, and tubes, there was no problem. Now, the Van Allen belt will play merry hell with modern electronics and onboard computers, unless they can devise adequate shielding.

9. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+121
    I was around 8 when it happened. I remember the news casts being sponsored by Gulf Oil.

10. doubt

doubt Tazmanian

+2,062

Because it's extremely expensive.

Edit: I cannot post my reply without a quote on the end of the sentence
    Edit 2: Found the problematic bold character

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  11. Craigles700

Craigles700 Enthusiast

+71
    I was 3yo, sadly don't remember a thing. It might be the paint chips I ate.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  12. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,448
    I was 10 years old and don't really remember much about it. I was probably in my bedroom listening to Jimi Hendrix o_O

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.