30,000 reasons you need push notifications, even if they dont work on iOS

Discussion in 'Forum Software Development' started by pierce, Jan 11, 2017.

1. pierce

pierce Fan

+517
    upload_2017-1-11_8-14-20.png

Here is annual growth:

upload_2017-1-11_8-15-11.png

I never reached 6,000 android app installs on Tapatalk until i killed it.

I've been sitting on this as it doesn't work on iOS, but it does work, and works very well for android.

The browser does not need to be open on your phone. But the browser does need to be opened on desktop.

I am also holding off on re-developing it for XF2.... before going public with the addon.

So this counts the total number of installs but the active users I can send notifications stands at 28,000.

The power of this is, if I had a motivation to alert nearly 30,000 people to something I could.

I've attached growth for the last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Habitué

+1,227
    I don't think many people realize the power such a add-on adds to a forum. I've had users ask about some sort of "live" notification system for while, but the previous add-on I know of required keeping the page open, not terribly useful nor real "push."

3. BrandonSheley

BrandonSheley loving life

+755
    So this is a mobile application or browser?
    Either way, nice work. It's something I've been preaching to the big forum devs for years now. ;)

*just did a quick google search for kicks.. I see post from 2011 and likely later where I've said forums needed this..lol*

4. pierce

pierce Fan

+517
    its done entirely on the browser side.

You get a pop up asking if you want to allow notifications, you tap yes and then the browser takes care of the rest.

Attached screenshot of example notice.

Attached Files:

5. pierce

pierce Fan

+517
    This is now 40,000 reasons.

Attached Files:

6. woody

woody eternal noobie

+41
    Is this released anywhere?

Excellent results, BTW!

7. pierce

pierce Fan

+517
    I'm helping a few as the mod is rough around the edges (hard coded values).

I'll give it out individualy to those accepting that.

I only have it for xenforo....

8. woody

woody eternal noobie

+41
    I have a "small" userbase of 10,000 active each month on XenForo....also have a smaller XF forum that might be better for testing.

9. pierce

pierce Fan

+517
    Active members?

That's pretty big.

One thing you can do with this is retarget guests who visited.

Example:

User visits forum.

Week later send all guest visitors of that sub forum a link about a popular thread or conversation.

I am more than happy to help go through a team viewer session.

It's not that complicated just requires small bits of editing.

I am also thinking of doing a tutorial....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Solidus

Solidus Stupid machines!

+205
    OneSignal. I use it on WordPress.

11. pierce

pierce Fan

+517
    It's incredible.

Again apple iOS to me is the last part of this puzzle. Once they implement some form of service worker I'm sure onesignal will implement it eagerly.

What I don't get is that safari desktop was one of the first to do this. But the last mobile browser.

It's so last it's still listed under consideration. Now I appreciate apple may be developing other technology on the spec that will enhance their notices to be better than everyone elses... They must have some wisdom to their decision.

I'm one small person, but I am sure all the big newspaper online sites really really want browser notices.

12. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Enthusiast

+13
    OneSignal might be free, but it's also selling all your user information, FWIW.

Web push is incredibly powerful though, obviously, it's also one of those channels that has to be handled very carefully, it can be extremely annoying for users when they're receiving endless messages from a few sites.

13. pierce

pierce Fan

+517
    As is Google, Facebook, your ISP, your phone manufacturer, advertising agencies, computer manufacturer etc

14. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Enthusiast

+13
    Right, but your users might feel differently if they knew you were using software that sold all their browsing behaviour on your site.

15. pierce

pierce Fan

+517
    Same exact thing can be said for Adsense.

I'm not finding serious negativity for onesignal online yet. But I'll look at alternatives.

16. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Enthusiast

+13
    I think most people probably aren't particularly aware about it and how they can provide a free service. Definitely worth looking at other solutions though OneSignal do also offer a paid service without the data collection which is worth a look.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted