3.8 - how long is it useful?

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Finance, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Old Guy

+175
    Good! :) thanks for the info!

2. Alfa1

Alfa1 Administrator

+2,716
  3. TheNakedMan

TheNakedMan Enthusiast

+8
    While I'll support anything to move 3.8 further....and last longer.

However that said, IPS looks very much like the future...making IPS more like 3.8 is ultimately the goal.

4. HallofFamer

HallofFamer Habitué

+232
    It will probably be useful for this entire century, since I have yet to find a forumware surpassing VB3's greatness. Maybe it will happen someday, but not right now.

5. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    I think IPS is basically what Vbulletin 4 should've been

VB 3.8 is old now, it's not supported/end of life, so is probably risky to run, but yea, it is a decent software, just out of date by todays standards.

As for the future, well, IPS is the new Vbulletin, in my opinion, Xenforo is also up there, but is in a grey area with the lawsuit

Burning Board 4, "might" be worth a look, depends on how long it takes to reach gold.

6. RunCompanies

RunCompanies Neophyte

+1
    Really hope to run 3.8 forever...

7. Tatl

Tatl Developer

+15
    3.8 is seriously starting to show its age. :/ It's a major bummer, because there isn't anything out there I like more.

8. gfc

gfc Participant

+20
    I'll move away from 3.8 in autumn. Does t know if it will be ipb or xenforo. But as much as i love 3.8, I'm starting feel unconfortable running it being eol.

9. PacMan

PacMan Tazmanian

+360
    Serious VB 3.x board owners should be working on an exit strategy as you simply cant stay on VB 3.x forever. Im in the process of moving over to IPB and its not easy when you have lots of modifications.

Depending on how modified your board is and how much free time you have, converting/upgrading may take months. Im going to try and ride out VB 3.8 as long as possible but will have have my exit strategy ready for when I need it.

10. vijayninel

vijayninel Ave atque vale

+100
    vBulletin Senior Project Manager Mark Jean posted today on vb.com

11. Tatl

Tatl Developer

+15
    The problem is that you're then talking about letting IB's horrible programmers muck up the 3.8 code even further. If their attempts with 4 and 5 are any indication that isn't something I'd be interested in seeing.

12. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    I agree with Tati, they should consider giving the code away to someone like Digitalpoint, least then people could pay a true professional, who isn't hindered by mangement, to make 3.8 a really good product.

Although DP/Shawn has kinda moved on from VB. :p

13. Lycaon

Lycaon Devotee

+223
    Why should they give it away? It's their product not someone else's.

14. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    I'm just kidding :p

It'd just be nice to see an independent group, like Xenforo, develop 3.8 where IB left it.

15. vijayninel

+100
    vB still has some excellent programmers who can continue development of vB. The question is if they will be given a free hand to develop the product.

16. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    That might be the case Vi, but how can you or anyone explain the awful code in VB5?

17. Lycaon

Lycaon Devotee

+223
    I think it's because they tried to turn a forum script into a social networking script and it just can't really work.

A forum is a forum and social network is social network. They're two different things and can't be merged into one.

18. vijayninel

+100
    That will be another topic altogether. But its clear that the IB management is behind the fiasco of vB5. I know that they ignored the advise and protests of their best developers, programmers, customers and rushed to put out vB5 in an artificial time scale.

If the IB management starts listening and stop interfering in development then vBulletin could potentially make very good software.

19. Deimos

Deimos Devotee

+1,296
    Agreed.

20. Gladius

Gladius Enthusiast

+26
    Damn, where's my extra thick winter coat... looks like hell just froze over.

But yea, letting the IB code butchers have a go at 3.8 again? Lord save us.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.