2nd monitor choice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maxxamillion, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,321
    I'm looking to add a second monitor to my set up however I'm not sure what would be worth getting, I don't see the point In buying the same monitor twice as it won't be used for gaming just for browsing and use as a 2nd monitor in open to suggestions and discussion on this and what is best

2. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Administrator

+5,487
    From years of experience I'd say at the very least get something that's the same size as your existing monitor otherwise it becomes irritating locating the mouse pointer when you move between screens.

Personally I always go for two identical monitors because I want visual and physical consistency. Being able to calibrate both monitors to display the same is quite important if you are doing any sort of design work.

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Administrator

+2,127
    I agree with zappaDPJ get the same monitor because its consistent and easier on your eyes.

4. haqzore

haqzore Devotee

+1,256
    Agree with what's posted.

Same size at the very minimum. Same monitor unless you have an insanely expensive primary or something.

5. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,321
    I could get the same i just didnt want to spend another £200 on a monitor that wont be used for gaming, when the monitor is tailored towards that

6. we_are_borg

+2,127
    You can game on 2 monitors wide screen

7. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,321
    i just don't think i would do that

8. Starskull

Starskull Enthusiast

+42
    I personally like to go for two monitors of the same model. This way the color on the screens will be the same. No fooling around with trying to match it up. Also the size is the same so wallpapers are easier. Not to mention mouse movement from monitor to monitor....or when moving a window to a different monitor.

9. Echo

Echo Runs with grenades

+614
    This is what I did after a few experiments, consistency is where it's at. Plus the aesthetics are a bonus.

10. Starskull

Starskull Enthusiast

+42
    I can understand if you have one vertical and one horizontal, but if they are just going to be side by side, same orientation and all. Then they should be the same. For aesthetics and constancy. If one is going the be vertical for coding or whatnot, then it wouldn't bother me to be a different one. I would still be bothered by the matching colors. I hate having to calibrate a monitor.

11. PoetJC

PoetJC ⚧ Jacquii: Black Kween of TSSN ⚧

+5,327
    I also suggest getting the same monitor - a pair of monitors for view consistency and such.
    If you're looking for a gaming monitor - I definitely recommend BenQ - They are top of the line for PC gaming. I love my #BenQ BenQ monitor!!!

J.

Edit: Arg ... Hashtags are gone = Ooooops.

12. we_are_borg

+2,127
    What BenQ do you have PoetJC

13. PoetJC

+5,327
    Should have said monitors - I have 2 BenQ XL2420T
    Both with 3D compatibility for use with Nvidia 3D Vision 2

J.

14. we_are_borg

+2,127
    So the BenQ is a good monitor company.

15. PoetJC

+5,327
    Top of the line is what I was told. And I'm a believer. Incredibly good monitors especially for 3D compatibility gaming.

J.

16. Brad

Brad Meh

+1,267
    Depends on your use case. If you have the money two of the same model are great but like you I didn't want to spend extra on monitors I didn't require low lag playing environments on. My center/main monitor has exactly 1 frame of in-game lag (for modern fighting games). My TV (not shown but hooked up) is pretty close to that. The CRT was from my first build and I use it for old games and editing/watching 4:3 video. The top monitor is a decent Acer I picked up a long side the BenQ, cost half the price but after dialing it in the colors are basically identical to the BenQ. I use it mostly when editing/rendering video. The vertical one was one I got out of a dumpster.

the_NEET_life.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  17. KimmiKat

KimmiKat Adherent

+124
    I have 2 monitors, and they're both the same.

18. Joeychgo

Joeychgo TAZ Administrator

+3,458

So when do we get pics of your new setup?

19. Maxxamillion

Maxxamillion Gaming Geek

+1,321
    ahha, ive yet to buy a 2nd monitor its on my wish list

20. Jake

Jake Developer

+1,111
    That'd be a horrible experience for most games because you'd have the bezel directly in the center of your FOV, if you're going to do a multi monitor setup for games you almost have to have 3 (or at least an odd number)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.